The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AquaMan may step in soon.

ShakyWalton

11 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

oh yes you are for agreeing with what they put out...dont fool yourself.

I love that he is letting Horvat, McCann, Hutton, Sven, & Virtanen develop here. I also love that they will have between 15-20 mill coming off the books for next season. I also love that we will be picking in the top 10 & maybe even top 5 in the next draft.  Maybe even #1? I also love that he has already drafted 2 guys in his first 2 years that already are in the NHL.  I also love that he stole McCann, Boeser, Demko, Brisbois, etc.  I love that he is building to win the cup not just make the playoffs & get the boot.

Or shall I crack the Rum & lose all vision like U 2...

10 minutes ago, hearditall said:

I love that he is letting Horvat, McCann, Hutton, Sven, & Virtanen develop here. I also love that they will have between 15-20 mill coming off the books for next season. I also love that we will be picking in the top 10 & maybe even top 5 in the next draft.  Maybe even #1? I also love that he has already drafted 2 guys in his first 2 years that already are in the NHL.  I also love that he stole McCann, Boeser, Demko, Brisbois, etc.  I love that he is building to win the cup not just make the playoffs & get the boot.

Or shall I crack the Rum & lose all vision like U 2...

Bro..Im not talking about Benning.,.I actually dont mind JB..its the coach...you might have missed it WD...as for the rum...you can have some of my Shweaty rum balls...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIU9TODDNg

3 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

no coach can help us now. our team is too depleted for a coaching change to make a difference.

I meant at the end of the season if someone has to be sacrificed Willie D is an easy target especially if he keeps being stubborn about giving young players proper minutes to develop at the NHL level.

During the season heck no. You could have Scotty Bowman coach this team and it still would not be a playoff team. They don't have the talent top end other than the Sedins and especially lack depth on defense and even forward.

Goal tending is solid can't really blame either of the goalies.

I doubt very much that Aquaman is going to fire WD. He's already paying one coach to not coach the Canucks, do you really think he's going to be paying a second coach to do the same? Also I think WD is the perfect fit for this organization. He coached them to 101 points last year. Considering it was an aging team that wasn't expected to do that well, it was a pretty damned good job. This year he's more focused on developing youth, and he's doing a very good job.

I know that some people on CDC are upset that Bo and Jared and Jake have not been developing as well as they thought they should, but for chrissake they're 20, 19 and 19 respectively. Willie has been teaching them the 200 foot game, which is a reason they found their butts stapled to the pine early in the year. Terrible D zone play and bad turnovers in the third lose games. You think their confidence is shakey now, imagine how they'd feel after being the goat in a few third period losses.

Bo was in a horrible slump since he's been asked to do more than he should for a 20 year old, but based on the last few games it looks like he's figuring things out. Willie was patient and it looks to be paying off. I thought Jared was dynamite against Detroit, & I think Jake is exactly where he needs to be with Team Canada and then hopefully back to the Calgary Hitmen for the rest of the season. Jake is obviously not ready for the NHL yet. Maybe after a year in Utica. Baer has been developing well, and has also looked better if late. 

Scotty Bowman could not do better with this team, because this team lacks key players in their prime, and has been decimated by injuries to the few mid-20's players we do have. When JB said that this was a better team than last year, I'm sure he didn't anticipate losing his number two center, who was the key piece in his summer moves, to a long term injury, and losing 33% of his back end. Kinda hard to fill those holes without blowing the salary cap by taking on problems waived by other teams..

The other thing about the rebuild, is that JB is also re-stocking the farm. The reason that we can't call up any impact players is because there isn't that much talent in Utica. What's there is still raw and not ready for prime time. That's because of horrible drafting and trading picks for immediate help in an effort to win a cup.

So, lay off WD. He's not out of his depth any more than any other AHL coach that has come to the NHL. He has won at every level, and he has proven that he can develop young talent. That is why he is the best coach for a team that is currently in a rebuild and looking to develop young players in the show.

I swear CDC, bunch of damned experts, you have no idea what you want or what you're asking for. You want more youth, but you want to win nowwwwwww. Can't have it both ways. Development takes time. I hate to burst your bubble, but most draft choices are not ready to play in the NHL their first year after being drafted. Yes, Jared is playing very well right now, but he could really use an extra 15 or 20 pounds on his frame. He's killing us in face-offs. Yes, Bo looked very good in a fourth line center roll last year, but I think that was unusual. As far as I'm concerned, unless we get Matthews in the draft, who is currently playing against adult men in Europe, whoever we draft should spend another year in junior or college. I don't think many people here on CDC really understand the giant leap these kids make from junior to the NHL. Not only is the game much faster and the players much bigger but the rigors of travel and the number of games are much greater than they're used to in junior. By pushing them right to the big club, we are really setting these kids up to fail. But of course CDC and our other fans demand that they see these high draft choices in the National Hockey League right away. Again this instant gratification society really screws up the plans for a proper rebuild.

29 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I doubt very much that Aquaman is going to fire WD. He's already paying one coach to not coach the Canucks, do you really think he's going to be paying a second coach to do the same?

That's as far as I got.  News flash.  Torts got another job so he's off the books.  What is more, the NHL awarded the Canucks a 2nd from Columbus in compensation for poaching management.  Score!

8 hours ago, EmilyM said:

How is this a thread?
"MAYBE someone might say or do something if something happens or doesn't happen."

Exactly, this guy stomps all over these boards trolling the coach and now he is making up some kind of "fly on the wall" garbage about the owners stepping in.

Jeez that win in Detroit must have killed him. 

9 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

So...we won a game but if this current pattern doesnt change Aqua may step in and demand a CHANGE..no one seems to be mentioning that...its his team...one day he might call Trev at the Gym while he is working out and Benning while he is scouting some guy in Kazakstan...and say...move WD...now I know there are lots of WD fans on this board....Im not one...but it may happen..he OWNS the team and pretty much called the shots on the last shakeup...I dont like ownership running a team but sometimes I get the feeling that this management doesnt have a clue...now I know I will be flammed for this thread  but I have been biting my tongue for awhile now...cheers and Merry Xmas.

What I do know?

Aside from not sharing a dislike for Willie.

Is that a common measure of a coach is if he can turn a close game into a win.  AV did it regularly... Willie is not far off. His personnel is not as good. He gets us in games. We're in games against better teams on paper. That's why I like him.

Just can't close them out!

I didn't bother to read the entire thread so apologies if this has already been pointed out:

I doubt that we'll ever know for sure if hiring Tortorella was forced upon Gillis by ownership, but there seems to be enough hearsay out there for it to be a decent possibility. That being the case, I would guess that ownership has probably learned their lesson about meddling in something that they far less knowledge about than the people they hired to do the job.

Very misleading heading for this thread OP. I expected to see a source or some other indication that this could happen.

But hey, when in Rome...

It may rain today.

It may rain tomorrow.

We may get snow for Christmas.

Heck, if this thread doesn't get locked, all of CDC may come back to it in 6 months or 6 years and bow before you in praise of your psychic abilities.

4 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

Aqualini was at the Detroit game sitting with Benning et co. Not a good sign. That guy needs to but out and let the GM do his job

Not a good sign? When the man who owns the franchise is sitting with his GM at an away game? What did you expect him to do, rent a suite for himself?

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

That's as far as I got.  News flash.  Torts got another job so he's off the books.  What is more, the NHL awarded the Canucks a 2nd from Columbus in compensation for poaching management.  Score!

"News Flash"

The Canucks are still covering a portion of his salary.

It takes more than 2 years to recover from almost 10 years of draft futility and poor asset management.  I think Benning has done an admiral job in the drafting and AHL development side of things.  Have some issues with his trading and dropping teenagers into the pros too early to avoid sending them back to junior.  Ultimately this team was a shambles when Gillis left.  Gaunce and Jensen were really the only prospects to speak of, no players of quality in their 20s.

It is a tough thing to do managing a rebuild while respecting the best players the team has ever had.

WD is a victim of his own success.  He took a team that really wasn't very good last year and did an amazing job to get them into the playoffs with home ice advantage.  This team at its best is not very good this year, add to that the number of key injuries.  This team really did not have the offensive depth to be that good this year without standout performances from a number of the vets.  The youth is just too young to depend on for consistent scoring.  

Unfortunately their offensive depth was probably the best thing they had going for them, there d-fence needs a lot of work and with Edler and Hamhuis having off years they are really a very poor d-core.  The goaltending has been up and down.

They may use different language in the public to try and keep ticket sales up but this is a clear rebuild.  We have what look like a quality 2,3rd line centre pair in Bo and McCann, some good quality wingers of varying types in Virt, Boesser, Gaunce and Shink and a good young second pairing D-man in Hutton and a great looking Goalie prospect.  Not a bad place considering where we were when Benning took over but still lacking in about 5 or 6 D-prospects including any high end ones and a top notch centre.

The current climate in the NHL makes it very challenging to do anything but a slow rebuild through the draft.  Nobody wants to trade anyone anymore, few quality players even get to free agency anymore.  They are too paralyzed with worry over getting fired for a mistake.   Despite this Benning has moved a large part of the team he inherited and seems to be involved in most rumours involving quality players like Johansen and Hamonic.

Archived