The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AquaMan may step in soon.

ShakyWalton

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

That's as far as I got.  News flash.  Torts got another job so he's off the books.  What is more, the NHL awarded the Canucks a 2nd from Columbus in compensation for poaching management.  Score!

Not too good at the Google I see. Also, if you read more, you might look smarter...or at least better informed. If Tortorella had not been hired, the Canucks would still owe him six million dollars over the next three years. I found three news stories that all said the same thing, this quote comes from TSN, "Before the Columbus Blue Jackets could replace Todd Richards with Tortorella, they first had to assume an undisclosed portion of his remaining salary while also agreeing to send a second-round pick Vancouver’s way, as per the NHL’s compensation rule." I couldn't find out how much Columbus was paying him, but did find a quote from an undisclosed source that said Vancouver was paying "a large portion" of his contract. Reading is fundamental. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

It takes more than 2 years to recover from almost 10 years of draft futility and poor asset management.  I think Benning has done an admiral job in the drafting and AHL development side of things.  Have some issues with his trading and dropping teenagers into the pros too early to avoid sending them back to junior.  Ultimately this team was a shambles when Gillis left.  Gaunce and Jensen were really the only prospects to speak of, no players of quality in their 20s.

It is a tough thing to do managing a rebuild while respecting the best players the team has ever had.

WD is a victim of his own success.  He took a team that really wasn't very good last year and did an amazing job to get them into the playoffs with home ice advantage.  This team at its best is not very good this year, add to that the number of key injuries.  This team really did not have the offensive depth to be that good this year without standout performances from a number of the vets.  The youth is just too young to depend on for consistent scoring.  

Unfortunately their offensive depth was probably the best thing they had going for them, there d-fence needs a lot of work and with Edler and Hamhuis having off years they are really a very poor d-core.  The goaltending has been up and down.

They may use different language in the public to try and keep ticket sales up but this is a clear rebuild.  We have what look like a quality 2,3rd line centre pair in Bo and McCann, some good quality wingers of varying types in Virt, Boesser, Gaunce and Shink and a good young second pairing D-man in Hutton and a great looking Goalie prospect.  Not a bad place considering where we were when Benning took over but still lacking in about 5 or 6 D-prospects including any high end ones and a top notch centre.

The current climate in the NHL makes it very challenging to do anything but a slow rebuild through the draft.  Nobody wants to trade anyone anymore, few quality players even get to free agency anymore.  They are too paralyzed with worry over getting fired for a mistake.   Despite this Benning has moved a large part of the team he inherited and seems to be involved in most rumours involving quality players like Johansen and Hamonic.

Well said.

14 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

So...we won a game but if this current pattern doesnt change Aqua may step in and demand a CHANGE..no one seems to be mentioning that...its his team...one day he might call Trev at the Gym while he is working out and Benning while he is scouting some guy in Kazakstan...and say...move WD...now I know there are lots of WD fans on this board....Im not one...but it may happen..he OWNS the team and pretty much called the shots on the last shakeup...I dont like ownership running a team but sometimes I get the feeling that this management doesnt have a clue...now I know I will be flammed for this thread  but I have been biting my tongue for awhile now...cheers and Merry Xmas.

No proof just a trailer court hunch.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What I do know?

Aside from not sharing a dislike for Willie.

Is that a common measure of a coach is if he can turn a close game into a win.  AV did it regularly... Willie is not far off. His personnel is not as good. He gets us in games. We're in games against better teams on paper. That's why I like him.

Just can't close them out!

I agree. But if you had to choose AV or Willie as your head coach, who would you pick?

13 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I didnt know it was so offensive.....okay..I am really sorry if anyone was offended by this thread...there...I feel like Alex Burrows

But I am guessing you don't get paid quite as much.

I hope the Canucks' management appreciates all the free advice they get from CDC.

Like some have said...it isn't like you have a line up rich with depth and/or talent here. It isn't like this is Dallas, Chicago, or even Anaheim and expectations are through the roof for a deep playoff run. WD has an aging core with lots of injuries to work through. At best, this team had an outside shot at the playoffs and never were expected to go anywhere if they did make it in. The ownership isn't going to be firing anyone at this point. Everyone was well aware that this year was a transition year and they would have to be patient.   

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Not too good at the Google I see. Also, if you read more, you might look smarter...or at least better informed. If Tortorella had not been hired, the Canucks would still owe him six million dollars over the next three years. I found three news stories that all said the same thing, this quote comes from TSN, "Before the Columbus Blue Jackets could replace Todd Richards with Tortorella, they first had to assume an undisclosed portion of his remaining salary while also agreeing to send a second-round pick Vancouver’s way, as per the NHL’s compensation rule." I couldn't find out how much Columbus was paying him, but did find a quote from an undisclosed source that said Vancouver was paying "a large portion" of his contract. Reading is fundamental. 

I made a mistake.  I'm sorry.  

2 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

I agree. But if you had to choose AV or Willie as your head coach, who would you pick?

AV all day long.

Just my own theory / speculation I think AV was butting heads with MG. Or someone. Got himself a fat contract then started pushing buttons to either get control or get fired? I always wondered why he announced to the french press Lou wanted out And got under Keslers skin suggesting his injuries were no excuse for an ordinary play off... I reckon he was happy to get out.

Too bad!

2 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

AV all day long.

Just my own theory / speculation I think AV was butting heads with MG. Or someone. Got himself a fat contract then started pushing buttons to either get control or get fired? I always wondered why he announced to the french press Lou wanted out And got under Keslers skin suggesting his injuries were no excuse for an ordinary play off... I reckon he was happy to get out.

Too bad!

late to the topic

did not read all the posts

i think the deal made with linden is that there will be no significant ownership interference

if management interferes, linden might walk, and then all credibility of this franchise will be lost

the stakes are kinda high for that

the team is in a rebuild, this is not the time to change coaches or interfere as ownership in any real way

let the current group run things at least till the end of the next season

10 hours ago, coastal.view said:

late to the topic

did not read all the posts

i think the deal made with linden is that there will be no significant ownership interference

if management interferes, linden might walk, and then all credibility of this franchise will be lost

the stakes are kinda high for that

the team is in a rebuild, this is not the time to change coaches or interfere as ownership in any real way

let the current group run things at least till the end of the next season

What if Aquaman meddled and Linden walked?  Who could he get to run the team?  Sure it would take balls but that's some kind of leverage.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What if Aquaman meddled and Linden walked?  Who could he get to run the team?  Sure it would take balls but that's some kind of leverage.

Kinda do not see tha,as it would deminish value of the franchise even more.  If the owner has ever been thinking of jumping ship an selling,one would think that they would want to maintain a  high value an not take away from the continuety or appearance of one well run franchise?

If he walked it would be bad an rival the early early years,Credibility an respect once lost is a long hard battle to win back.

Here's what I see...

The Aquilinis hired Linden after the Gillis fiasco. From what I understand, they decided it was best to put things (like GM hirings) into someone else's hands after Gillis caused them issues.

It was then Linden who hired Benning (who I've liked a lot so far I'll admit). Benning then hired Willy D.

So, considering Linden was the only guy the Aquilinis hired in the first place, and considering that most likely the Aquilinis know what's up and that we're going through a transition (and if people really think their heads are completely stuck in a mole hole and can't see that.... I can't help you....)....

....anyway, considering all of that, I highly doubt the Aquilinis are about the step in and fire anyone. If Willy D gets fired, it will be by Benning himself. If Benning gets fired, it will be by Linden. This whole notion of the Aquilinis stepping in I think is an overreaction by some fans. The Aquilinis made their money from being smart and they're far more likely to know what's up and let things play out than they are to play stupid and fire at will.

On 12/20/2015 at 8:05 PM, Alflives said:

WD has been over his head since he started. 

You mean by making the playoffs when he wasn't supposed to last year? With even more rookies inserted into the line up everybody predicted again the Nucks would miss the playoffs. We're currently sitting in the 8th spot despite several key injuries. I suspect WD is in way over your head. :lol:

On 12/20/2015 at 7:38 PM, ShakyWalton said:

So...we won a game but if this current pattern doesnt change Aqua may step in and demand a CHANGE..no one seems to be mentioning that...its his team...one day he might call Trev at the Gym while he is working out and Benning while he is scouting some guy in Kazakstan...and say...move WD...now I know there are lots of WD fans on this board....Im not one...but it may happen..he OWNS the team and pretty much called the shots on the last shakeup...I dont like ownership running a team but sometimes I get the feeling that this management doesnt have a clue...now I know I will be flammed for this thread  but I have been biting my tongue for awhile now...cheers and Merry Xmas.

Alcohol induced wishful thinking? ^_^

On 12/20/2015 at 11:04 AM, SwedeHockey said:

I think they're quite similar coaches. AV just has considerably more nhl experience. Were we a veteran team looking to contend I'd take AV. But given we're rebuilding and getting younger, WD is likely the better man for the job here given his experience working with younger players.

Archived