The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to Double Syrian Refugee Intake to 50,000

TOMapleLaughs

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

Why stop at 50,000 refugees then, make it as million if you think we should take as many refugees as possible.   They are hundreds of millions of refugees in the world, should we take them all in?   The United States has ten times the population of Canada and they are only taking in 10,000 Syrian Refugees.

Your point about the population of the US only further proves that Canada is probably in a better position to bring in more refugees anyways - Canada has a ton of space to settle refugees while much of America is already saturated. 

Regardless, why does it matter what other countries are doing? So long as Canada screens refugees properly - why not take in as many as we can? I think Canada has a responsibility as a first world country to help people in need where we can do it safely and within our financial means. If we cannot meet the fiscal budget if we let in over a certain number, so be it - but we should do everything in our power to help as many people as we can - isn't that what it means to be Canadian?

I guess Syria is still the latest "fad crisis" thus the focus is on it.  Of course, Arab Christians being forced from their homes and/or executed in Iraq and other nearby ISIS-controlled territories.... minimal coverage. 

I also wonder how they will do the vetting of people whose background information may be spotty at best.  A regular immigrant takes about 6 months to 2 years, depending on origin (Chinese applicants are processed quickly..... slower for places like the Middle East, etc).  CIC took about 7 months for my wife, who is Japanese... with all the application forms, background/criminal records check, medical exams, email/chat conversations between us, couples photos, travel vacation itineraries, marriage certificate that's translated and notarized, her family's background information, education records, my personal background information, financial status, etc..... but refugees who may or may not have any form of identifications (albeit no fault of their own... since you're fleeing from a conflict), get fast tracked?  I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed in... but I get the feeling that a lot of corners will be cut and the background checks will be poorly done due to political purposes. 

23 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I guess Syria is still the latest "fad crisis" thus the focus is on it.  Of course, Arab Christians being forced from their homes and/or executed in Iraq and other nearby ISIS-controlled territories.... minimal coverage. 

I also wonder how they will do the vetting of people whose background information may be spotty at best.  A regular immigrant takes about 6 months to 2 years, depending on origin (Chinese applicants are processed quickly..... slower for places like the Middle East, etc).  CIC took about 7 months for my wife, who is Japanese... with all the application forms, background/criminal records check, medical exams, email/chat conversations between us, couples photos, travel vacation itineraries, marriage certificate that's translated and notarized, her family's background information, education records, my personal background information, financial status, etc..... but refugees who may or may not have any form of identifications (albeit no fault of their own... since you're fleeing from a conflict), get fast tracked?  I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed in... but I get the feeling that a lot of corners will be cut and the background checks will be poorly done due to political purposes. 

I'm relatively neutral on the refugee crisis. Canada is great for letting the refugees in, no doubt about it. How, though, do you screen these people, whose information can be faked by ISIS, which is apparently very powerful at what they do, despite being a decentralized organization.

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

Your point about the population of the US only further proves that Canada is probably in a better position to bring in more refugees anyways - Canada has a ton of space to settle refugees while much of America is already saturated. 

Regardless, why does it matter what other countries are doing? So long as Canada screens refugees properly - why not take in as many as we can? I think Canada has a responsibility as a first world country to help people in need where we can do it safely and within our financial means. If we cannot meet the fiscal budget if we let in over a certain number, so be it - but we should do everything in our power to help as many people as we can - isn't that what it means to be Canadian?

Canada has significant debt and is increasing that debt this year. At what point are we outside our financial means?

1 hour ago, Duds said:

Canada has significant debt and is increasing that debt this year. At what point are we outside our financial means?

I was wondering the same thing however it seems you get jumped on if you have anything negative to say about bringing in refugees. If the cost was 1.2 billion over the first 6 years for the first 25,000 then its safe to assume it will be the same cost for the next 25k. Where exactly is this money coming from ?  Was this part of Justin's 10 billion that he promised to spend and put us in debt or is this additional money ?  Our oil has hit rock bottom and we are in a recession with thousands of jobs already lost ( here in alberta anyways) so are there not any better solutions that putting us further into debt ? 

9 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Not just Russia and the US...the Arab world is not interested in helping either and many of them are actively involved in creating the situation.

No it's really just the USA being the main contributer in this situation, therefore they should take in the most refugees.

4 hours ago, Duds said:

2 hours ago, TheAce said:

I was wondering the same thing however it seems you get jumped on if you have anything negative to say about bringing in refugees. If the cost was 1.2 billion over the first 6 years for the first 25,000 then its safe to assume it will be the same cost for the next 25k. Where exactly is this money coming from ?  Was this part of Justin's 10 billion that he promised to spend and put us in debt or is this additional money ?  Our oil has hit rock bottom and we are in a recession with thousands of jobs already lost ( here in alberta anyways) so are there not any better solutions that putting us further into debt ? 

The Canadian budget always includes a foreign aid contingency fund that numbers in the billions. I would assume (at the risk of looking stupid) that this is where they are deriving their finances from. I'd also suggest that the financiers in government are in a better position to consider Canada's overall financial position and what we can do to help refugees in the current situation - civilians simply aren't "in the know" about the intricacies of the budget. 

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm relatively neutral on the refugee crisis. Canada is great for letting the refugees in, no doubt about it. How, though, do you screen these people, whose information can be faked by ISIS, which is apparently very powerful at what they do, despite being a decentralized organization.

I'm not sure why so many people subscribe to the belief that there are a multitude of ISIS agents hiding amongst the refugees - for starters, most refugees are stuck in refugee camps for over a year. In order to gain access to Canada, they undergo multiple screenings by multiple international and Canadian organizations to gain a clear understanding of their background and past - if they are any red flags, they're not going to be admitted. When you consider how much time and effort ISIS would have to put into getting their agents accepted as a refugee (faking documents, past actions, history, familial ties, etc), wouldn't it just be easier to enter Canada normally with faked documents? Or just enter illegally? Its not difficult to gain access to Canada - or borders are one of the most lax in the world. It makes no sense for ISIS to waste their time trying to sneak them in as refugees (a process that is arduous, difficult, low chance of success and time consuming) when they can simply gain access like any normal person - or just enter illegally. 

Trudeau is an idiot and when one of these 'refugees' turns out to be an ISIS terrorist and blows up a school bus or something similar, people will realize. Fact is, 13% of Syrian Refugees have a positive view towards ISIS. This fact cannot be ignored, and any of you Libs saying otherwise are just the PC police.

5 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

Trudeau is an idiot and when one of these 'refugees' turns out to be an ISIS terrorist and blows up a school bus or something similar, people will realize. Fact is, 13% of Syrian Refugees have a positive view towards ISIS. This fact cannot be ignored, and any of you Libs saying otherwise are just the PC police.

Which is why there is a vetting process. 

5 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

No one can say that this is not a remote possibility, I think we all know that. If that should happen it will be dealt with, but none of that kind of fearmongering can or should preclude our responsibility to help innocent people to flee an unimaginable nightmare that is not of their own making.

6 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

I don't think fact means what you think it means.

15 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The immigration people saw the movie "Audition", so they decided to take extra precautions. 

If Harper had doubled the stated intake of refugees, the mainstream media would have been in an uproar, but since we've got Prince Justin Zoolander, its all good!

Myself personally, I wouldn't allow a single one of these people who aren't capable of holding 8 lbs of steel and wood and cleaning up their own backyard.

12 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

If Harper had doubled the stated intake of refugees, the mainstream media would have been in an uproar, but since we've got Prince Justin Zoolander, its all good!

Myself personally, I wouldn't allow a single one of these people who aren't capable of holding 8 lbs of steel and wood and cleaning up their own backyard.

lol again. You're like a cartoon.

24 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

You talk a lot of $&!# considering most of the refugees likely have more education and professionalism than yourself. (Although since no one can fact check, you'll likely claim to be a general surgeon all the sudden).

If Harper had doubled the intake of refugees, of course people would have been upset - he promised to only raise the uptake to 25000. The people that voted him in expect him to keep his promises. On the other hand, Trudeau made it very clear they were starting with 25,000 but everyone knew his goal would be to help as many refugees as he could.

Don't be such a sourpuss that Harper lost, that is so two months ago.

Archived