The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to Double Syrian Refugee Intake to 50,000

TOMapleLaughs

7 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Nice . So my proposal of 2 million looks fine . Worse case scenario if somebody goes Jihad, we will just have give or take 50 Canadian casualties within the next decade or two. I just hope my family and I are not on the spot where they go full Alahuakbar. 

The ignorance, it hurts.

8 minutes ago, inane said:

The ignorance, it hurts.

I think the stats are promising actually , bear in mind, this is worst case scenario in 20 years, if my proposal of taking in 2 million happens within the next year. 

By The way, I'm happy with your stand. I think with your passion and your financial assistance, you could make a difference. I'm taking in one family. Will you help and take a small family yourself? I posted the link. Let me know if you need help. 

1 minute ago, Stanky Legs said:

I think the stats are promising actually , bear in mind, this is worst case scenario in 20 years, if my proposal of taking in 2 million happens within the next year. 

By The way, I'm happy with your stand. I think with your passion and your financial assistance, you could make a difference. I'm taking in one family. Will you help and take a small family yourself? I posted the link. Let me know if you need help. 

Nope, I'm not doing anything for them. I am however part of an anti-furniture coalition to prevent these sad, totally preventable deaths. Furniture--the real killer!

2 minutes ago, inane said:

Nope, I'm not doing anything for them. I am however part of an anti-furniture coalition to prevent these sad, totally preventable deaths. Furniture--the real killer!

Seriously? I thought you're one of the good guys. So you're just like the others. Bystander , good with words but you won't do anything for the people who need our help in desperate times. 

I'm nervous of them, my gramps was hacked to death by Muslims but I won't let it affect my decision to help.

My view in this, is that isn't not as simple as a yes or no.  Why? because no we can't just say close our doors,  people do need help and you can't really just refused begging lives....but with that said, it's not as easy as opening the doors and letting people walk in.   We still need to be precautionary, we still need to figure out a better way to integrate them into canada.

The reality is, poverty is a world issue.  You can't just look at one group in need, yet ignore another.  The sad part is bringing in 25,000, 50,000 or even a million refugees, it doesn't even put a dent into solving the situation.  Bringing in refugees is simply the easiest way for people sleep at night.  For every tree you plant, 8 more get cut down.  

We're putting a lot of these people in hard situations, do they really want to be here in Canada, following Canadian law and culture. Is canada a place they dreamed as a child to come to, or is canada simply just a place that under the circumstances will work. If back home become safe would they still choose canada?  Yes they are people just like we are but our cultures are vastly different.  Their way of live doesn't always smoothly mesh with ours.  

So with that said, with the 25k, 50k or whatever number we bring in.  How do we better.  Places in Europe are prime examples of what not to do.  You can't just stick them in a corner and hope they become part of the melting pot. These communities have become crime havens where sharia law over powers the current law.  Just as it's not fair to say, welcome to Canada, here your stick and skates, now go play hockey.  it's also not fair for them to say, here's my way of life, you have to accept it here.  At the end of the day, coming to Canada is a privilege.  People are proud to say they are Canadian, and that's what needs to happen.  The refugees need to become proud Canadians not just immigrants living in place called Canada.  How do we get there? That's a really good question.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I agree with the before posters.

You're  like a sad cartoon.

Oh no look what's happening in Europe..wait no this happened a lot closer to home just last night, as per the reports last night one attempted murder in vancouver last night, 4 attempted sexual assaults, 1 confirmed sexual assault 11 violent attacks 2 armed robberies.

Yes, lets show the world how intelligent and up to date with current affairs we are by saying it is only happening in Europe and only with 1 single kind of person.

Just do us a favour and go away.  I am far from PC but wow man, it must take a SERIOUS deuce in your family gene pool to turn out this way.

There's a darwin award in your future I think

Fist yourself.

Then read this Globe and Mail article;

Sweden's Ugly Immigration Problem

In Europe, refugees from Syria and Iraq have been cramming the ferry-trains heading from Germany to Denmark. But once in Denmark, many refused to get off.

Where they really want to go is Sweden, where refugee policies are more generous. When the Danes said no, they hopped off the trains, and began heading toward the Swedish border by taxi, bus, and foot.

Sweden has the most welcoming asylum policies and most generous welfare programs in the European Union. One typical refugee, Natanael Haile, barely escaped drowning in the Mediterranean in 2013.

But the folks back home in Eritrea don’t want to know about the perils of his journey. As he told The New York Times, they want to know about “his secondhand car, the government allowances he receives and his plans to find work as a welder once he finishes a two year language course.”

As a registered refugee, he receives a monthly living allowance of more than $700 (U.S.).

Sweden’s generous immigration policies are essential to the image of a country that (like Canada) prides itself as a moral superpower. For the past 40 years, most of Sweden’s immigration has involved refugees and family reunification, so much so that the words “immigrant” and “refugee” are synonymous there (unlike in Canada).

Sweden takes in more refugees per capita than any other European country, and immigrants – mainly from the Middle East and Africa – now make up about 16 per cent of the population. The main political parties, as well as the mainstream media, support the status quo.

Questioning the consensus is regarded as xenophobic and hateful. Now all of Europe is being urged to be as generous as Sweden.

So how are things working out in the most immigration-friendly country on the planet?

Not so well, says Tino Sanandaji. Mr. Sanandaji is himself an immigrant, a Kurdish-Swedish economist who was born in Iran and moved to Sweden when he was 10. He has a doctorate in economics from the University of Chicago and specializes in immigration issues. This week I spoke with him by Skype.

“There has been a lack of integration among non-European refugees,” he told me. Forty-eight per cent of immigrants of working age don’t work, he said. Even after 15 years in Sweden, their employment rates reach only about 60 per cent. Sweden has the biggest employment gap in Europe between natives and non-natives.

In Sweden, where equality is revered, inequality is now entrenched. Forty-two per cent of the long-term unemployed are immigrants, Mr. Sanandaji said. Fifty-eight per cent of welfare payments go to immigrants.

Forty-five per cent of children with low test scores are immigrants. Immigrants on average earn less than 40 per cent of Swedes.

The majority of people charged with murder, rape and robbery are either first- or second-generation immigrants.

“Since the 1980s, Sweden has had the largest increase in inequality of any country in the OECD,” Mr. Sanandaji said.

It’s not for lack of trying. Sweden is tops in Europe for its immigration efforts. Nor is it the newcomers’ fault. Sweden’s labour market is highly skills-intensive, and even low-skilled Swedes can’t get work.

“So what chance is there for a 40-year-old woman from Africa?” Mr. Sandaji wondered.

Sweden’s fantasy is that if you socialize the children of immigrants and refugees correctly, they’ll grow up to be just like native Swedes. But it hasn’t worked out that way.

Much of the second generation lives in nice Swedish welfare ghettos. The social strains – white flight, a general decline in trust – are growing worse. The immigrant-heavy city of Malmo, just across the bridge from Denmark, is an economic and social basket case.

Sweden’s generosity costs a fortune, at a time when economic growth is stagnant. The country now spends about $4-billion a year on settling new refugees – up from $1-billion a few years ago, Mr. Sanandaji said. And they keep coming. Sweden automatically accepts unaccompanied minors. “We used to take in 500 unaccompanied minors a year,” he said. “This year we are expecting 12,000.”

Yet Sweden’s acute immigration problems scarcely feature in the mainstream media. Journalists see their mission as stopping racism, so they don’t report the bad news. Despite – or perhaps because of – this self-censorship, the gap between the opinion elites and the voters on immigration issues is now a chasm.

According to a recent opinion poll, 58 per cent of Swedes believe there is too much immigration, Mr. Sanandaji noted. The anti-immigration Sweden Democrats party is now polling at between 20 per cent and 25 per cent.

Sweden is a cautionary tale for anyone who believes that Europe is capable of assimilating the hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants who are besieging the continent, or the millions more who are desperately poised to follow in their wake.

The argument that these people are vital to boost the economy – that they will magically create economic growth and bail the Europeans out of their demographic decline – is a fantasy.

It’s really very simple, Mr. Sanandaji explained. You can’t combine open borders with a welfare state. “If you’re offering generous welfare benefits to every citizen, and anyone can come and use these benefits, then a very large number of people will try to do that. And it’s just mathematically impossible for a small country like Sweden to fund those benefits.”

Things will get worse before they get better. As Judy Dempsey, a senior analyst at a Berlin think tank, told The Wall Street Journal, “Europe hasn’t seen anything yet in terms of the numbers or the backlash.”

Meanwhile, Sweden’s neighbour, Denmark, has cut the benefits for refugees in half, and hastaken out ads in Lebanese newspapers warning would-be migrants to stay home. The Danes don’t want to be a moral superpower. They can’t afford it.

6 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

Fist yourself.

Then read this Globe and Mail article;

Sweden's Ugly Immigration Problem

In Europe, refugees from Syria and Iraq have been cramming the ferry-trains heading from Germany to Denmark. But once in Denmark, many refused to get off.

Where they really want to go is Sweden, where refugee policies are more generous. When the Danes said no, they hopped off the trains, and began heading toward the Swedish border by taxi, bus, and foot.

Sweden has the most welcoming asylum policies and most generous welfare programs in the European Union. One typical refugee, Natanael Haile, barely escaped drowning in the Mediterranean in 2013.

But the folks back home in Eritrea don’t want to know about the perils of his journey. As he told The New York Times, they want to know about “his secondhand car, the government allowances he receives and his plans to find work as a welder once he finishes a two year language course.”

As a registered refugee, he receives a monthly living allowance of more than $700 (U.S.).

Sweden’s generous immigration policies are essential to the image of a country that (like Canada) prides itself as a moral superpower. For the past 40 years, most of Sweden’s immigration has involved refugees and family reunification, so much so that the words “immigrant” and “refugee” are synonymous there (unlike in Canada).

Sweden takes in more refugees per capita than any other European country, and immigrants – mainly from the Middle East and Africa – now make up about 16 per cent of the population. The main political parties, as well as the mainstream media, support the status quo.

Questioning the consensus is regarded as xenophobic and hateful. Now all of Europe is being urged to be as generous as Sweden.

So how are things working out in the most immigration-friendly country on the planet?

Not so well, says Tino Sanandaji. Mr. Sanandaji is himself an immigrant, a Kurdish-Swedish economist who was born in Iran and moved to Sweden when he was 10. He has a doctorate in economics from the University of Chicago and specializes in immigration issues. This week I spoke with him by Skype.

“There has been a lack of integration among non-European refugees,” he told me. Forty-eight per cent of immigrants of working age don’t work, he said. Even after 15 years in Sweden, their employment rates reach only about 60 per cent. Sweden has the biggest employment gap in Europe between natives and non-natives.

In Sweden, where equality is revered, inequality is now entrenched. Forty-two per cent of the long-term unemployed are immigrants, Mr. Sanandaji said. Fifty-eight per cent of welfare payments go to immigrants.

Forty-five per cent of children with low test scores are immigrants. Immigrants on average earn less than 40 per cent of Swedes.

The majority of people charged with murder, rape and robbery are either first- or second-generation immigrants.

“Since the 1980s, Sweden has had the largest increase in inequality of any country in the OECD,” Mr. Sanandaji said.

It’s not for lack of trying. Sweden is tops in Europe for its immigration efforts. Nor is it the newcomers’ fault. Sweden’s labour market is highly skills-intensive, and even low-skilled Swedes can’t get work.

“So what chance is there for a 40-year-old woman from Africa?” Mr. Sandaji wondered.

Sweden’s fantasy is that if you socialize the children of immigrants and refugees correctly, they’ll grow up to be just like native Swedes. But it hasn’t worked out that way.

Much of the second generation lives in nice Swedish welfare ghettos. The social strains – white flight, a general decline in trust – are growing worse. The immigrant-heavy city of Malmo, just across the bridge from Denmark, is an economic and social basket case.

Sweden’s generosity costs a fortune, at a time when economic growth is stagnant. The country now spends about $4-billion a year on settling new refugees – up from $1-billion a few years ago, Mr. Sanandaji said. And they keep coming. Sweden automatically accepts unaccompanied minors. “We used to take in 500 unaccompanied minors a year,” he said. “This year we are expecting 12,000.”

Yet Sweden’s acute immigration problems scarcely feature in the mainstream media. Journalists see their mission as stopping racism, so they don’t report the bad news. Despite – or perhaps because of – this self-censorship, the gap between the opinion elites and the voters on immigration issues is now a chasm.

According to a recent opinion poll, 58 per cent of Swedes believe there is too much immigration, Mr. Sanandaji noted. The anti-immigration Sweden Democrats party is now polling at between 20 per cent and 25 per cent.

Sweden is a cautionary tale for anyone who believes that Europe is capable of assimilating the hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants who are besieging the continent, or the millions more who are desperately poised to follow in their wake.

The argument that these people are vital to boost the economy – that they will magically create economic growth and bail the Europeans out of their demographic decline – is a fantasy.

It’s really very simple, Mr. Sanandaji explained. You can’t combine open borders with a welfare state. “If you’re offering generous welfare benefits to every citizen, and anyone can come and use these benefits, then a very large number of people will try to do that. And it’s just mathematically impossible for a small country like Sweden to fund those benefits.”

Things will get worse before they get better. As Judy Dempsey, a senior analyst at a Berlin think tank, told The Wall Street Journal, “Europe hasn’t seen anything yet in terms of the numbers or the backlash.”

Meanwhile, Sweden’s neighbour, Denmark, has cut the benefits for refugees in half, and hastaken out ads in Lebanese newspapers warning would-be migrants to stay home. The Danes don’t want to be a moral superpower. They can’t afford it.

Nice post. My Haida Gwaii proposal now makes more sense.

59 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Seriously? I thought you're one of the good guys. So you're just like the others. Bystander , good with words but you won't do anything for the people who need our help in desperate times. 

I'm nervous of them, my gramps was hacked to death by Muslims but I won't let it affect my decision to help.

lol obvious sarcasm is obvious.

On 12/22/2015 at 10:22 PM, Electro Rock said:

Myself personally, I wouldn't allow a single one of these people who aren't capable of holding 8 lbs of steel and wood and cleaning up their own backyard.

Well this is great news for you. In a few years when these refugees have gained a financial foothold, they will be hiring you to clean their backyards! 

20 hours ago, inane said:

lol obvious sarcasm is obvious.

More like obvious troll is obvious. Ignore it and it will go back under it's rock.

22 minutes ago, Toews said:

Well this is great news for you. In a few years when these refugees have gained a financial foothold, they will be hiring you to clean their backyards! 

More like obvious troll is obvious. Ignore it and it will go back under it's rock.

Man everyone takes this so seriously...

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 0:21 PM, TheFirstLine said:

The poor and homeless are only brought up In situations like this? Bet a lot of people who bring up that point do absoulatelu nothing to help the "homeless" otherwise.

I saw on the local news where the mission is feeding the street people etc. Christmas dinner and the spokesperson telling us that for only $3.75 I can pay for one of these meals. I'm thinking, "are you kidding me, they can't go find $3.75 worth of pop cans and pay for their meals themselves?" They're not even trying!!!!!

Truth is this show of care and concern for the homeless is a multi billion dollar industry that we're all paying for through the nose already. We do more than enough for the so called less fortunate of this country.

Merry Christmas. 

On 23/12/2015 at 9:15 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My view in this, is that isn't not as simple as a yes or no.  Why? because no we can't just say close our doors,  people do need help and you can't really just refused begging lives....but with that said, it's not as easy as opening the doors and letting people walk in.   We still need to be precautionary, we still need to figure out a better way to integrate them into canada.

The reality is, poverty is a world issue.  You can't just look at one group in need, yet ignore another.  The sad part is bringing in 25,000, 50,000 or even a million refugees, it doesn't even put a dent into solving the situation.  Bringing in refugees is simply the easiest way for people sleep at night.  For every tree you plant, 8 more get cut down.  

We're putting a lot of these people in hard situations, do they really want to be here in Canada, following Canadian law and culture. Is canada a place they dreamed as a child to come to, or is canada simply just a place that under the circumstances will work. If back home become safe would they still choose canada?  Yes they are people just like we are but our cultures are vastly different.  Their way of live doesn't always smoothly mesh with ours.  

So with that said, with the 25k, 50k or whatever number we bring in.  How do we better.  Places in Europe are prime examples of what not to do.  You can't just stick them in a corner and hope they become part of the melting pot. These communities have become crime havens where sharia law over powers the current law.  Just as it's not fair to say, welcome to Canada, here your stick and skates, now go play hockey.  it's also not fair for them to say, here's my way of life, you have to accept it here.  At the end of the day, coming to Canada is a privilege.  People are proud to say they are Canadian, and that's what needs to happen.  The refugees need to become proud Canadians not just immigrants living in place called Canada.  How do we get there? That's a really good question.

Tbh you seem like a reasonable person, so ai just wanna point out that these "Sharia zones" in Europe are pretty much complete rumour made up by the far right.  I obviously agree that refugees should be properly screened and integrated into society, and efforts are underway to do so.  Hating on these people will not help the cause.  One must remember that these refugees are running from the exact same terrorists that we are against - we share a common enemy.

1 hour ago, etsen3 said:

Tbh you seem like a reasonable person, so ai just wanna point out that these "Sharia zones" in Europe are pretty much complete rumour made up by the far right.  I obviously agree that refugees should be properly screened and integrated into society, and efforts are underway to do so.  Hating on these people will not help the cause.  One must remember that these refugees are running from the exact same terrorists that we are against - we share a common enemy.

It's not a rumour . I've been to UK , there are certain parts of Birmingham that you can't just do what a normal person would do in everyday life that's considered violation of Sharia. I've also lived in the Middle East, believe me, even the moderates hate the white people (They can't distinguish between Americans and Canadians). I'm brown so I go under the radar.

5 hours ago, Toews said:

If he was joking, one post was all that was needed. Make multiple posts and then you are just trying to derail the thread.

All talk, doesn't contribute extra money aside from his tax, which every one of us, even the anti-refugees do. (I'm assuming of course, I apologize if you have given extra financial support).

2 hours ago, etsen3 said:

I'm seen these zones with my own eyes, most notably in Paris, Marseilles and Belgium.

1 hour ago, Stanky Legs said:

It's not a rumour . I've been to UK , there are certain parts of Birmingham that you can't just do what a normal person would do in everyday life that's considered violation of Sharia. I've also lived in the Middle East, believe me, even the moderates hate the white people (They can't distinguish between Americans and Canadians). I'm brown so I go under the radar.

Where in the Middle East have you lived? "Even the moderates hate white people" so are white people the victims here and all these middle easterners despise them for absoulately no reason whatsoever. If that's the case then triple whatever number of people you spoken too who have shown hatred towards them and that's number of White people I come across who whine and make racist remarks on a daily basis.

Archived