The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to Double Syrian Refugee Intake to 50,000

TOMapleLaughs

21 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

Where in the Middle East have you lived? "Even the moderates hate white people" so are white people the victims here and all these middle easterners despise them for absoulately no reason whatsoever. If that's the case then triple whatever number of people you spoken too who have shown hatred towards them and that's number of White people I come across who whine and make racist remarks on a daily basis.

Dammam and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. Also in Manama, Bahrain. 8 years total in the 80's and 90's. Parts if 2000's. I've been to Dubai and Doha as well for visit. I've driven across Saudi Arabia even outside Madina and Makkah. I am forbidden to enter said cities as Im not s Muslim.

37 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

Where in the Middle East have you lived? "Even the moderates hate white people" so are white people the victims here and all these middle easterners despise them for absoulately no reason whatsoever. If that's the case then triple whatever number of people you spoken too who have shown hatred towards them and that's number of White people I come across who whine and make racist remarks on a daily basis.

"No reason at all" is not really accurate. It started way back in the crusades then the Jews occupying Palestine to name a few (Britain is involved here so that's where the white part is concerned ). The US fully supporting the state of Israel is another.I was in Bahrain when 9/11 happened. Ice seen things similar to what Trump said he saw (celebrating). I was at one function a few days after where the host requested us to stand up and pay respect to the victims with a minute of silence. Guess who didn't stand up? That's why when I saw the Turkish fans on the news after the Paris attacks in the stadium. I wasn't even surprised with the lack of respect.

32 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Dammam and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. Also in Manama, Bahrain. 8 years total in the 80's and 90's. Parts if 2000's. I've been to Dubai and Doha as well for visit. I've driven across Saudi Arabia even outside Madina and Makkah. I am forbidden to enter said cities as Im not s Muslim.

None Muslims can't enter Mecca or Madina?  Would Slim Pickens be able to enter from the sky?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

None Muslims can't enter Mecca or Madina?  Would Slim Pickens be able to enter from the sky?

I thought it was common knowledge. Slim Pickens whoever that is, can do that. If he's a non-Muslim and he gets caught, beheading is an option.

By the way, in the whole of Saudi Arabia, Christian and other non-Muslim churches are not allowed. You get caught, you either go to jail or deported or both.

i feel I need to educate this forum as it seems most of you have never been to the Middle East.

I have stated this before in the "Donald Trump: Ban all Muslims" thread before. We should be open to helping people whether Muslim or not, and I do not think we should ban all Muslim immigration. However, immigration is a privilege, not a right. This is the same for the refugees. Not all Muslims are like Anjem Choudary (Sharia4UK) or Jihadists, but for those that are, we should not allow them in. How do we verify that they are not? I think it will be a difficult task, as even US intelligence claims that ISIS have a passport printing machine. 

This is from personal experience that cannot be verified, so take it as you will. I'm an immigrant, and a non-Muslim who was born in a Muslim country. Now this Muslim country (I choose not to name) is relatively progressive in comparison to other Muslim countries; they do have sharia law, but it only applies to Muslims and not forced on non-believers.

A few years back, I visited the country again, and was walking with family in a large mall in the capital, with many westerners in the area as well. In this mall, I saw a couple of teenage boys, wearing Osama Bin Laden T-shirts with Jihadist writing, strolling through. I was also an adolescent around their age back then, and I simply shrugged it off as something normal and didn't think twice.  

Thinking back though, why didn't police/security at least question them? They were casually strolling around the most progressive part of the country with many westerners in the area. Unfortunately, my personal "Osama T-shirt" experience is not the only Jihadist-leaning "incident" originating from the country. The truth is, even in "progressive" Muslim countries, there is some indirect, and even active, support for Jihad. Most Muslims in that country definitely support sharia law, and there is even an Islamist party that wants to expand this on non-believers. Politicians in that country regularly use Islam as a tool to whip up public support for certain issues, at the expense of non-believers. 

They do not care about political correctness, or tolerance, like we do in the West. Islam is religion, politics, justice, economy. 

So should we help people from Syria? I think we should. It is the right thing to do morally. But we should know, many may harbor entirely different world views and ideas about life, and there is a point where perhaps people will simply agree to disagree, and maybe that's where multi-culturalism will fail. 

33 minutes ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

But we should know, many may harbor entirely different world views and ideas about life, and there is a point where perhaps people will simply agree to disagree, and maybe that's where multi-culturalism will fail. 

That's a touch dramatic.  Why would that cause multiculturalism to fail?  We're a cultural mosaic where people are free to live how they like and practice whatever religion they like, so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.  It's that mutual respect and understanding between different groups that makes this country work.  We have a lot more in common than not.

2 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

I thought it was common knowledge. Slim Pickens whoever that is, can do that. If he's a non-Muslim and he gets caught, beheading is an option.

By the way, in the whole of Saudi Arabia, Christian and other non-Muslim churches are not allowed. You get caught, you either go to jail or deported or both.

i feel I need to educate this forum as it seems most of you have never been to the Middle East.

Slim Pockens was an actor, who played a character in the movie, "Dr. Strangelove".  He sat astride - rodeo style - a nuclear bomb as it fell from the sky.  I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be anything left of him (when he landed) for them to behead.  Then again, there wouldn't be any of them left either.  I do appreciate your sharing your knowledge.  Do the Muslims living here believe in those views?  I got invited to special event at a local mosque to celebrate the birth of Muhammed.  The only separation I saw was the adult males were upstairs, and the adult females were downstairs.  It was a good experience, and I (a Catholic) felt welcome.  

Maybe as people from all over the world move here, they come to realize the beauty of all His children, and so accept everyone?

On 12/23/2015 at 11:07 PM, Electro Rock said:

Says the "guy" who has almost as many posts as I in a time period 4 years shorter...

If examples like the Paris shooters and the first Fort Hood shooter have taught us anything, its that these folks go derka derka even if they are born and raised here.

And everyone that keeps mentioning terrorism as the only potential liability need to get a reality check.

Just look at what's been happening in Europe; rape, thuggery and Islamic supremacy oh my!

I never bragged about lifting weights bud. Also talking about Islamic supremacy in Europe? You seem delusional right now, maybe you should stop watching Donald Trump give a speech and think for a second. When you said "derka derka" it just illustrated how much intellect and knowledge you have about the world outside of your comfy house.

On 12/23/2015 at 0:37 AM, Stanky Legs said:

Nice . So my proposal of 2 million looks fine . Worse case scenario if somebody goes Jihad, we will just have give or take 50 Canadian casualties within the next decade or two. I just hope my family and I are not on the spot where they go full Alahuakbar. 

With your username, not sure how you managed to have a family. You seem so scared of your own shadow, must be watching too much fear mongering talk shows, talking about Islam and how they will go "Jihad" any second. If what you said was true, with 2 billion muslims on this planet, there shouldn't have been any survivors by now. But I guess logic fails you as you only concentrate on a small number of individuals and somehow extrapolate their actions to cover the whole population. 

23 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

With your username, not sure how you managed to have a family. You seem so scared of your own shadow, must be watching too much fear mongering talk shows, talking about Islam and how they will go "Jihad" any second. If what you said was true, with 2 billion muslims on this planet, there shouldn't have been any survivors by now. But I guess logic fails you as you only concentrate on a small number of individuals and somehow extrapolate their actions to cover the whole population. 

Is not encouraging all sides to a debate what makes our country stronger?  You have your views, and others have theirs.  In our great nation we encourage open and honest discussion.  Even if someone's view is insulting to the ears, hearing that other opinion, and respecting it, is truly what makes us strong.  there are many people who are genuinely a feared of these new immigrants, and Islam.  We need to encourage these people to come forward with their honest opinions, and embrace them, in the very same way we embrace all new people to Canada.  Rather than playing ping pong with insults, perhaps it would be more useful to be more accepting of everyone, and including those who feel fear of the unknown?

7 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

So they don't let you enter their holy cities, so what? The rest of Saudi Arabia is open to everyone as are the mosques. I have spent a considerable time of my childhood in Dammam (in the 90s) and this whole "they hate whites" sentiment you are spreading is so off base. My father had a friend (American) who made a considerable amount of money there along with a Saudi partner. A considerable number of Americans used to work in Saudi but most decided to leave due to a few instances of trouble.

Also the whole "they can't tell whites apart" is such a load of crap. There is anti-American sentiment in the Middle East but to say a German or French or Eastern European "white" would get the same hate is incredible ignorant. You have done your best to paint an entire group of people as a bunch of racists and it is just not true.

I have spent some time in Bahrain as well. Certain parts of Manama have always been a bit rough. That doesn't mean the rest of Bahrain is the same. A number of the Shia population in Manama have been known to cause problems but during my time there I saw no trouble. Bahrain relies on tourism so they cannot afford to turn away people.

6 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

Yes and they don't allow figurines of religious figures as well. They don't want you bringing your religion into their country (funnily enough Trump is trying to do the same). They have some rules that you agree upon when you enter their country. If you don't like it, then you don't need to go there. Yet they have no problem if you want to practice your religion in private. You just cannot do so in public.

On 12/25/2015 at 0:20 PM, Alflives said:

Is not encouraging all sides to a debate what makes our country stronger?  You have your views, and others have theirs.  In our great nation we encourage open and honest discussion.  Even if someone's view is insulting to the ears, hearing that other opinion, and respecting it, is truly what makes us strong.  there are many people who are genuinely a feared of these new immigrants, and Islam.  We need to encourage these people to come forward with their honest opinions, and embrace them, in the very same way we embrace all new people to Canada.  Rather than playing ping pong with insults, perhaps it would be more useful to be more accepting of everyone, and including those who feel fear of the unknown?

First of all, Islam and these new "immigrants" have been around way before you were born, they weren't suddenly born out of ISIS and the Western media propaganda. Secondly, I don't want to be more accepting of bigots or people who discriminate against a group of people which actually includes productive members of society (yes, not all of them are terrorists). Those people who "feel fear of unknown" are actually the same people that hurt innocent people because of their "fear" of them. Also what you said about Canada is wrong and very misleading. Canada is a cultural mosaic and respects every culture and religion but it definitely doesn't respect bigots who are against a certain religion. Canada is about acceptance but not about discrimination, you should actually go read the code of law so you can be educated about what is allowed in this country. You can have a freedom of speech but there is a limit to that and can be challenged in a court of law. 

I just think its great that we can support these people at enormous cost when folks like my friend are allowed to die on a medical waiting list or when  I have serious health problems that aren't being addressed by the vaunted Canadian medical system.

That's Canadian fairness for you, what's next, confiscate my property and give it to these "refugees?"

On 12/25/2015 at 9:33 PM, Toews said:

So they don't let you enter their holy cities, so what? The rest of Saudi Arabia is open to everyone as are the mosques. I have spent a considerable time of my childhood in Dammam (in the 90s) and this whole "they hate whites" sentiment you are spreading is so off base. My father had a friend (American) who made a considerable amount of money there along with a Saudi partner. A considerable number of Americans used to work in Saudi but most decided to leave due to a few instances of trouble.

Also the whole "they can't tell whites apart" is such a load of crap. There is anti-American sentiment in the Middle East but to say a German or French or Eastern European "white" would get the same hate is incredible ignorant. You have done your best to paint an entire group of people as a bunch of racists and it is just not true.

I have spent some time in Bahrain as well. Certain parts of Manama have always been a bit rough. That doesn't mean the rest of Bahrain is the same. A number of the Shia population in Manama have been known to cause problems but during my time there I saw no trouble. Bahrain relies on tourism so they cannot afford to turn away people.

Yes and they don't allow figurines of religious figures as well. They don't want you bringing your religion into their country (funnily enough Trump is trying to do the same). They have some rules that you agree upon when you enter their country. If you don't like it, then you don't need to go there. Yet they have no problem if you want to practice your religion in private. You just cannot do so in public.

You do not know what you are talking about, my parents and friends were deported from Saudi Arabia because they were practicing their religion in private (worship service). The mutawas (religious police) barged in (private villa) and rounded them up. 

Care to elaborate what trouble?

Aside from scale, can you explain how this differs from people with turbans and helmet laws, or children wearing a kirpan while in public school? There are many instances where Western culture has changed to accommodate immigrants.  Is it not fair to be critical of places that are less willing to make similar accommodations?  Why is it that when a Westerner takes the "if you don't like it, you can leave" attitude, they are being xenophobic, but when you apply that concept like you did above, you're just being reasonable?

From what I have seen, this business with Trump gets blown out of proportion.  IIRC, he does not want to ban all Muslims from getting into the country.  He just wants to be positive that these immigrants/refugees will not pose an immediate threat to US citizens.

12 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

I just think its great that we can support these people at enormous cost when folks like my friend are allowed to die on a medical waiting list or when  I have serious health problems that aren't being addressed by the vaunted Canadian medical system.

That's Canadian fairness for you, what's next, confiscate my property and give it to these "refugees?"

The irony of this coming from a small government CPC supporting conservative.

Maybe you should start voting NDP.  rotfl.gif

Nice touch putting quotes around refugees. A+, would laugh again.

14 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

You do not know what you are talking about, my parents and friends were deported from Saudi Arabia because they were practicing their religion in private (worship service). The mutawas (religious police) barged in (private villa) and rounded them up. 

This never happened to my family nor anyone that I knew. We were discreet in our practice though. I cannot comment on your situation without knowing exactly what occurred. 

14 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

Care to elaborate what trouble?

Bomb threats. There was an instance where a bomb planted in a car killed a bunch of people. The fear of such an incident occurring again convinced a lot of people to leave. My family though left when I was around 8, although I did make multiple trips with my father to the Gulf later. My mother began to get tired of the laws and the lack of freedom and she wanted to work, now that my sister and I were older. 

10 hours ago, Kragar said:

Aside from scale, can you explain how this differs from people with turbans and helmet laws, or children wearing a kirpan while in public school? There are many instances where Western culture has changed to accommodate immigrants.  Is it not fair to be critical of places that are less willing to make similar accommodations?  Why is it that when a Westerner takes the "if you don't like it, you can leave" attitude, they are being xenophobic, but when you apply that concept like you did above, you're just being reasonable?

From what I have seen, this business with Trump gets blown out of proportion.  IIRC, he does not want to ban all Muslims from getting into the country.  He just wants to be positive that these immigrants/refugees will not pose an immediate threat to US citizens.

I am not condoning their practices, just not demonizing them for it. You are right that they need to learn how to be more accommodating but sadly the education system there is an abject failure. A number of the youth of the country never complete their education. Not to mention the importance of education is lost on most of the population. This is the biggest reason why they need to bring in foreigners and pay them exorbitant amounts of money to stay and help them run their companies.

In the West people are educated, there is less ignorance and our multicultural populations have taught us to be more tolerant individuals. There is no excuse for racism and xenophobia in our world, none whatsoever.

In countries in the Gulf, most of the population goes to religious school where they only hear about Islam and how it is the absolute truth and every other faith is wrong and will lead you to hell. Even the schools were the local population go to and the foreign population go to are separate.

I believe that people should be judged on the environment they grew up in. If a person grew up being taught to be intolerant, then their views are going to reflect that. Such people should be taught otherwise, not demonized for not living up to our moral standards.

Progress is happening in Saudi Arabia, it will just require plenty of patience as it is a society very resistant to change.

Archived