The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to Double Syrian Refugee Intake to 50,000

TOMapleLaughs

Also about Trump, I have no problem with him scrutinizing the screening process. We should absolutely be more careful over whom we let into our borders. Trump though has singled out people of one faith as the problem and hence the screening process that he will choose to implement will be inherently biased against everyone of that faith. Yes, I have a problem with that. 

On 2015-12-22 at 0:21 PM, TheFirstLine said:

The poor and homeless are only brought up In situations like this? Bet a lot of people who bring up that point do absoulatelu nothing to help the "homeless" otherwise.

9 hours ago, Toews said:

In the West people are educated, there is less ignorance and our multicultural populations have taught us to be more tolerant individuals. There is no excuse for racism and xenophobia in our world, none whatsoever.

In countries in the Gulf, most of the population goes to religious school where they only hear about Islam and how it is the absolute truth and every other faith is wrong and will lead you to hell. Even the schools were the local population go to and the foreign population go to are separate.

I believe that people should be judged on the environment they grew up in. If a person grew up being taught to be intolerant, then their views are going to reflect that. Such people should be taught otherwise, not demonized for not living up to our moral standards.

Progress is happening in Saudi Arabia, it will just require plenty of patience as it is a society very resistant to change.

Actually, there are excuses, many of which have been discussed here in CDC.  When you describe education in Islamic countries, do you think that will change when they come here?  I remember there being Greek school in my East Van neighborhood when I was little, and Chinese schools both in Van and down here in California. I assume there was nothing wrong with that, as the kids get more exposure to their "home" culture.  But do you think that there won't be any 

Islam is an overarching faith.  Not only does it cover religion, but also business, education, and politics to name a few.  Most Muslims want Sharia law, and many, if not most, want it to apply to non-Muslims.  Today, Muslims also typically have higher birth rates than Westerners.  In our democratic society, it could easily happen that we get more than what we bargained for.

This is where Multiculturalism fails us.  There needs to be more incentive/pressure to be Canadian (or American if you are down here).  While adopting the new culture clearly happens organically to many immigrants, many more isolate themselves from Canadian society/culture to a point where they have chosen to be outsiders, and focus primarily on their original culture.

As I implied in another thread a few weeks back, I don't see this working out much better for us than it did for Native people a few hundred years ago.

8 hours ago, Toews said:

Also about Trump, I have no problem with him scrutinizing the screening process. We should absolutely be more careful over whom we let into our borders. Trump though has singled out people of one faith as the problem and hence the screening process that he will choose to implement will be inherently biased against everyone of that faith. Yes, I have a problem with that. 

The reason for that singling out is described above.  No other faith so overwhelmingly controls its followers and the people around it like Islam.  If we had a situation like the Troubles in North Ireland and the UK, paying extra attention to immigrant Protestants or Catholics trying to enter the country is completely warranted.  Given that the majority of global terrorism today is performed by Muslims (or people calling themselves followers of Islam), I think some intense scrutiny is warranted.

On December 29, 2015 at 5:24 AM, DefCon1 said:

First of all, Islam and these new "immigrants" have been around way before you were born, they weren't suddenly born out of ISIS and the Western media propaganda. Secondly, I don't want to be more accepting of bigots or people who discriminate against a group of people which actually includes productive members of society (yes, not all of them are terrorists). Those people who "feel fear of unknown" are actually the same people that hurt innocent people because of their "fear" of them. Also what you said about Canada is wrong and very misleading. Canada is a cultural mosaic and respects every culture and religion but it definitely doesn't respect bigots who are against a certain religion. Canada is about acceptance but not about discrimination, you should actually go read the code of law so you can be educated about what is allowed in this country. You can have a freedom of speech but there is a limit to that and can be challenged in a court of law. 

I did not realize that being afraid is against one's civil rights and freedoms?  I do believe we live in a great country, which is made stronger by accepting everyone - even if we disagree with their views.  I wonder if new immigrants are somewhat afraid of their new homes?  Are you stating we should not accept them, because they are afraid of that which is not known to them?  

On December 25, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Toews said:

So they don't let you enter their holy cities, so what? The rest of Saudi Arabia is open to everyone as are the mosques. I have spent a considerable time of my childhood in Dammam (in the 90s) and this whole "they hate whites" sentiment you are spreading is so off base. My father had a friend (American) who made a considerable amount of money there along with a Saudi partner. A considerable number of Americans used to work in Saudi but most decided to leave due to a few instances of trouble.

Also the whole "they can't tell whites apart" is such a load of crap. There is anti-American sentiment in the Middle East but to say a German or French or Eastern European "white" would get the same hate is incredible ignorant. You have done your best to paint an entire group of people as a bunch of racists and it is just not true.

I have spent some time in Bahrain as well. Certain parts of Manama have always been a bit rough. That doesn't mean the rest of Bahrain is the same. A number of the Shia population in Manama have been known to cause problems but during my time there I saw no trouble. Bahrain relies on tourism so they cannot afford to turn away people.

Yes and they don't allow figurines of religious figures as well. They don't want you bringing your religion into their country (funnily enough Trump is trying to do the same). They have some rules that you agree upon when you enter their country. If you don't like it, then you don't need to go there. Yet they have no problem if you want to practice your religion in private. You just cannot do so in public.

Are there not some parts of the USA where white people would not be overly welcomed?  My little mother ALF was lost (right about the hottest part of the day) in her rental car in LA years ago, when she was 80.  She asked a group of men for help back to her hotel.  They not only gave her directions, but one guy rode with her until she was back in the correct area.  He said to her that she was clearly not from LA.  She said no, she was from Vancouver.  He told her she should stay away from some parts of LA, because some black people don't care too much for white people.  I remember her telling me, that was the first time she thought of that man - and his friends - as black.  I know from my very limited experience, that some parts of this world are not accepting of people - because of skin tone.  It's very sad, but IMHAO true.

On December 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Fateless said:

Not going to lie, I'm damn impressed no one has hijacked this thread yet by complaining about Trudeau and how bringing in these refugees is going to be the death of us all.

I'm glad to see Canada taking in as many refugees as is safe and secure for us. So long as they make sure to do the proper screenings, the more the merrier. 

My criteria 

1. Hot females. We have enough ugly women in this country.

2. Families are ok I guess but prefer 1 or more of the parents have "Dr" on their passport, or a heavily educated scientist or something like that. 

3. You must speak English.

4. No religion. 

5. Males must be castlorated.  

6. You must pay your own way, if you show up with no money then you better have a good plan. It's like the guy who shows up to the party with no beer. "Get lost you mooching loser" 

7. You must wear an arm sash with the Syrian flag on it so I can better prevent myself from entering a terrorist situation.

thats pretty much all I need. 

Welcome. 

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

I did not realize that being afraid is against one's civil rights and freedoms?  I do believe we live in a great country, which is made stronger by accepting everyone - even if we disagree with their views.  I wonder if new immigrants are somewhat afraid of their new homes?  Are you stating we should not accept them, because they are afraid of that which is not known to them?  

Being afraid of a certain group? or even a certain race? Seriously that is how freedom is lost, when people start to become afraid of something. Over exaggerated fear of something can be a dangerous thing when it isn't warranted such as fear of Syrian refugees coming into the country with bombs attached to their waist. 

On 12/29/2015 at 11:57 PM, Electro Rock said:

I just think its great that we can support these people at enormous cost when folks like my friend are allowed to die on a medical waiting list or when  I have serious health problems that aren't being addressed by the vaunted Canadian medical system.

That's Canadian fairness for you, what's next, confiscate my property and give it to these "refugees?"

If you lived in any other country in the world, you would come back, begging for that vaunted Canadian medical system. Some countries don't even have a system, never mind a "medical system". Not saying there isn't an area to improve on but what am saying is that people should stop complaining about a system that benefits the public more than it harms them and its actually one of the things that other countries are trying to copy us.

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

If you lived in any other country in the world, you would come back, begging for that vaunted Canadian medical system. Some countries don't even have a system, never mind a "medical system". Not saying there isn't an area to improve on but what am saying is that people should stop complaining about a system that benefits the public more than it harms them and its actually one of the things that other countries are trying to copy us.

Oddly enough I wasn't begging for the Can'tadian medical system when I had to go down to the U.S. for treatment, nor was my friend who was saving up for treatment in Cuba.

The Canadian medical system, like all other Canadian institutions, hasn't been a good example of anything in at least a generation.

Oh, you can still receive very good treatment out of it, but the truth is that the level of care you can expect will vary wildly, if you're a member of a politically entitled group or have good patrons, you're good, if not, better look elsewhere.

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Being afraid of a certain group? or even a certain race? Seriously that is how freedom is lost, when people start to become afraid of something. Over exaggerated fear of something can be a dangerous thing when it isn't warranted such as fear of Syrian refugees coming into the country with bombs attached to their waist. 

And how do eliminate this fear, if we expect those who are fearful to keep quiet.  That's why I believe we need to encourage their voice - even if it's hard to hear, and we disagree - so we can educate them.  Their fears are based, most often, on ignorance.  Some people are fearful of everything they hear on the news.  I believe we should encourage their voice too.  They are most likely ill, and need medical support.  Our country is great, and it's the mosaic of diversity which makes us great.  Helping people who are sick in some way is part of our great country too - whether that sickness is caused by ignorance or being ill, should make no difference. IMHAO:rolleyes:

On December 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM, LaBamba said:

My criteria 

1. Hot females. We have enough ugly women in this country.

2. Families are ok I guess but prefer 1 or more of the parents have "Dr" on their passport, or a heavily educated scientist or something like that. 

3. You must speak English.

4. No religion. 

5. Males must be castlorated.  

6. You must pay your own way, if you show up with no money then you better have a good plan. It's like the guy who shows up to the party with no beer. "Get lost you mooching loser" 

7. You must wear an arm sash with the Syrian flag on it so I can better prevent myself from entering a terrorist situation.

thats pretty much all I need. 

Welcome. 

Lol.

so basically: hot female Syrian doctors that show up to your house with beer.

Personalty I am getting tired about hearing about the Syrian refugees.  It's all day, every day on the news, social media, the papers, etc.  It's like these are the only refugees in the world or something.  Reading yesterday how we need to do more and how we are failing compared to the rest of the world.

We are Billions and Billions in debt, we have average people struggling to stat afloat, we have huge strains on our medical system but yet, we keep bringing in more and more people.

My friend is a plumber and was telling me a story about a family that came here in the first wave.  He was there to fix some plumbing issues in their govt funded housing.  They had already made a human rights complaint because the housing they considered sub par.  Shouldn't these people just be happy they are free from their war torn Country? 

2 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Personalty I am getting tired about hearing about the Syrian refugees.  It's all day, every day on the news, social media, the papers, etc.  It's like these are the only refugees in the world or something.  Reading yesterday how we need to do more and how we are failing compared to the rest of the world.

We are Billions and Billions in debt, we have average people struggling to stat afloat, we have huge strains on our medical system but yet, we keep bringing in more and more people.

My friend is a plumber and was telling me a story about a family that came here in the first wave.  He was there to fix some plumbing issues in their govt funded housing.  They had already made a human rights complaint because the housing they considered sub par.  Shouldn't these people just be happy they are free from their war torn Country? 

Unfortunately some people, no matter their situation, expect everything to be given to them. Others are very thankful what for Canada has and will do for them 

9 hours ago, TheFirstLine said:

This ^^^ just so I can witness him be assassinated.

Wow. Strong words. Hope they come back to haunt you. 

Lol at everyone hating how america is currently ran yet totally okay to revote the same party who is financed by lockheed martin among other arms dealers and wall street financial backers. 

Lol at idea that a BUSH would be better

how can you not root for the self funded politician who doesnt believe in PC, isn't afraid to actually give a shht 

Archived