The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have the highest odds of drafting Auston Matthews as of 2015/12/22

Odd.

Looking at the standings, anyone in the West can make the playoffs. As of today, Edmonton sits at 37pts in last place, while Colorado is at 41pts at 8th spot. It'll be interesting for the Canucks fans to see this season if we stay with the pack. Notably, the playoff point floor in the East is higher than in the west, so the canucks still have a chance. I'm not sure how they calculate the odds, but it really doesn't seem to be as bad as it seems. 

On 1/5/2016 at 5:58 PM, erkayloomeh said:

I think tanking can work and I think the Oilers are a bad example.

First of all I don't think it is easy to attract good ufas to come to edmonton to be a good mix with your kids. Second of all I don't think mac T knew what he was doing neither did Lowe.  

In my opinion we can afford to lose Higgins burrows vrbata Hamhuis this year and tank as long as we are a city that can replace them in the offseason  with ufas even if we have to pay a bit more to get them on a shorter term contract so we aren't stuck with them long term. That is essswntially what we have done with vrbata. We do the same thing next year Even if we  could trade only a couple of them and end up with an extra first and second that would go a long ways in addition to our own picks . 

Sounds like a balanced approach. If I'm gm I'm really analyzing the Ufa market for next year and seeing who I can target and what kind of money I have for said moves. 

I think Oilers are a good example. They're loaded with talent right now. The problem is people think rebuilds are done in 2 or 3 years. That's not how it works. Rebuilding thru the draft is a long process. It takes several years to get the right peaces. You're not going to hit a homerun with every pick. THen you have to develop those players and it takes several years until they become impact players. 

FLD has been accumulating top end prospects thru the draft and it's taken them many years as well until the kids developed and now they're starting to make a difference. It will be another year or 2 before they are ready to make a legitimate run. 

LIke you said it's really difficult to attract UFA's to come to EDM so that makes it harder but they've accumulated loads of young talent and they'll be a top team in the league for years. 

Chicago built thru the draft and it took them the same time. They started their rebuild when they traded Chelios and took 10 years. 

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think Oilers are a good example. They're loaded with talent right now. The problem is people think rebuilds are done in 2 or 3 years. That's not how it works. Rebuilding thru the draft is a long process. It takes several years to get the right peaces. You're not going to hit a homerun with every pick. THen you have to develop those players and it takes several years until they become impact players. 

FLD has been accumulating top end prospects thru the draft and it's taken them many years as well until the kids developed and now they're starting to make a difference. It will be another year or 2 before they are ready to make a legitimate run. 

LIke you said it's really difficult to attract UFA's to come to EDM so that makes it harder but they've accumulated loads of young talent and they'll be a top team in the league for years. 

Chicago built thru the draft and it took them the same time. They started their rebuild when they traded Chelios and took 10 years. 

To be fair: for some time now, a lot of people have been saying Edmonton will be a top team........

tick tick tick tick........

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

To be fair: for some time now, a lot of people have been saying Edmonton will be a top team........

tick tick tick tick........

And they will be a top team. Only fools or uneducated sports fans think a team can be built over 2 or 3 years, or with 1 or 2 top 5 draft picks.  A proper rebuilt thru the draft is a 10 year process, give or take a cpl of years depending on your team's location, and luck. 

RIght now Oilers are loaded with top end young talent. Their D is very young and will take time to develop. They're still a couple of years away but they're well on their way. 

You can take any team, for example Tampa, they have a bunch of young top end players and just last year they made a run. Look how long they've had Hedman and Stamkos for and those are 2 super star players. You've gotta be very lucky to get those players in a draft and even then it takes years for them to become top end impact players capable of making a run at the Cup.

1 hour ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

Looking at the standings, anyone in the West can make the playoffs. As of today, Edmonton sits at 37pts in last place, while Colorado is at 41pts at 8th spot. It'll be interesting for the Canucks fans to see this season if we stay with the pack. Notably, the playoff point floor in the East is higher than in the west, so the canucks still have a chance. I'm not sure how they calculate the odds, but it really doesn't seem to be as bad as it seems. 

I agree,....Once some of the injured players get back,I'm expecting a second half push by the Canucks...Players like Horvat,Hutton,Sutter will be better..IMO...Also,they have got the brutal road schedule behind them.

Canucks will be in the 'pack' of teams in the Western Conference along with Edmonton,Calgary,Winnipeg,San Jose,Anaheim,Colorado and Phoenix.....All will be in the mix for playoff spots right down to the wire.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I hear you. But doesn't edmonton also typically lose those "developed" players once they hit free agency. 

I think your right that it takes longer than most people think. But I still think I'm also right that there past management wasn't doing it right.

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

I hear you. But doesn't edmonton also typically lose those "developed" players once they hit free agency. 

I think your right that it takes longer than most people think. But I still think I'm also right that there past management wasn't doing it right.

They haven't lost any of their top prospects to UFA since they began this rebuild. Still too young to be able to walk for another 3 to 7 years depending on which top end guy you're talking about. They're all signed long term. 

I think they'll be trading 1 of those young guys, Hopkins or Eberle before next year for more immediate help. They don't have to worry about the kids walking yet for many years. And when that time comes, some will leave or be traded. The salary cap won't allow EDM to keep them all. 

18 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Hmm when does Mcdavid come back?

Hopefully very soon. I don't' think I missed an OIlers game this year while he was in the lineup. He was just starting to heat up when he got injured. Love watching that team with him on it.

I'm sure it won't be long before they start rising in standings when he returns. Doubt they make the playoffs now though, they might have if he didn't get hurt.

42 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hopefully very soon. I don't' think I missed an OIlers game this year while he was in the lineup. He was just starting to heat up when he got injured. Love watching that team with him on it.

I'm sure it won't be long before they start rising in standings when he returns. Doubt they make the playoffs now though, they might have if he didn't get hurt.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If he comes back soon and plays well that team doesn't look too bad anymore. They can pass us and we can get a better pick. As long as we are in the bottom 7-8 we are going to get a great prospect :)

Archived