The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Van-Nsh

Retinalz

Top 5 is only if we finish bottom 3. It will likely be 5-10 if it doesn't win Lottery. The only way this deal is bad for Van is if we get 1st OA and lose Matthews. For a future #1 dman this is a risk we take IMO. With the picks we get from selling on other players(if JB has half a brain he will move them, else he needs to be fired) We can always move up in the draft as needed. As long as we draft a D with our 1st(s) we will get a defenseman better than Tanev eventually. This deal works well because Jones does not = #1 centre by himself, But our pick can give them the opportunity to draft it. The also can't afford to keep him. they will have roughly 15mil in space next year(some other money comes off but they need to spend it to keep full roster) and jones+forsberg will likely eat 13mil of it between the 2 of them.

Just now, elvis15 said:

The difference between the 1sts isn't enough to make Nashville bite on the value they lose going from Jones to Tanev. Certainly not as a deadline deal, and only possible at the draft if we've already won the lottery.

If we win the lottery our 1st is worth morethan jones. Matthews is a generational talent that can go #2 centre immediately and #1 within a year. Jones is still unproven as a true #1 dman due to being behind Weber and Josi. Weber is nearly untradeable due to the length of his contract. Nobody wants 7 years of decline for 7.5mil. Josi's contract is too good to trade. 4mil for what he brings is the best contract in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Retinalz said:

Tanev+Van 1st for Jones+Nsh 1st

This deal gives 2 things. Nash keeps a top 4 dman and Van gets its future #1. Van 1st will be a solid 1st in top 10. Maybe even t5 where nash can get its #1 C or flip to acquire. Van keeps a late 1st.

Nashville only needs a young and established C1 and despite it being a pretty dire need they are nowhere close to being ready to give up Jones for RNH or even RyJo.  A few weeks back GM Poile was adamant in an interview to Tennessean media that Jones will not get traded - he was specifically asked about it because of the speculations around the availability of Ryan Johansen.

20 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Nashville says no unless this is at draft and Van has a top 3 pick. And at that point we'd probably be better off keeping the pick, in my opinion anyway.

He likely won't get his wish. Jones will look for 6-7 mill likely for his contract(current + potential) as will Forsberg(Best forward on that team). That is 12-14 mil of the roughly 15 they will have next year(10mil now, 3mil increase, 2mil coming offthe books. All other expiring contracts need to be resigned at roughly same price. Tanev at 4.25(?) mill and a top10(possible top5) Centre pick on an ELC will be very attractive. The only other team that could trade something they need is Edmonton with RNH + for jones. RNH is bordering maxing at top2 centre with maybe #1. Draisatl and McDavid are both surpassing him. This hurts his value and doesnt look to be as likely to give nashville what they want/need.

Why is nashville remotely interested in this? They have an abundance of defense and are in the market for the a top-line center. Not to mention they want to win now, not in a few years when this upgraded draft pick would likely be making an impact (if at all). This makes tons of sense for Vancouver yeah, but absolutely zero for Nashville. JB would get laughed at.

30 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Why is nashville remotely interested in this? They have an abundance of defense and are in the market for the a top-line center. Not to mention they want to win now, not in a few years when this upgraded draft pick would likely be making an impact (if at all). This makes tons of sense for Vancouver yeah, but absolutely zero for Nashville. JB would get laughed at.

I agree with this. Although I love the proposal, it seems even, but Nashville would probably want a top 6 player who can score, they have tons of D who are young and love to eat up minutes.

Plus IDK about trading away our first, this years draft is as deep as last years according to Benning, I would want to hold on to that pick esp if its top 10. 

Jones is going to be a future Weber and star in this league, we'll have to give a lot more of Nashville a lot less.

They'd need a current and future top pairing defenceman, Tanev is sort of that guy but far less value. In order to make up the difference we have to give them something Nashville need. A 1st round pick (likely to be top-10/15) would help but Nashville need help now to make a Cup run.

We'd have to give up some sort of scoring help, something like Vbrata/Hansen/Shinkaruk.

Tanev + Hansen + 1st for Jones + 3rd or late round pick is more realistic.

10 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I agree with this. Although I love the proposal, it seems even, but Nashville would probably want a top 6 player who can score, they have tons of D who are young and love to eat up minutes.

Plus IDK about trading away our first, this years draft is as deep as last years according to Benning, I would want to hold on to that pick esp if its top 10. 

More specifically they want a RyJo/RNH/Duchene type of player I believe. A center. 

@DownUndaCanuck refer to this post and my previous one

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

More specifically they want a RyJo/RNH/Duchene type of player I believe. A center. 

@DownUndaCanuck refer to this post and my previous one

How about a trade around McCann/Horvat? I know they probably want a center for their first line NOW, but McCann might be a year or two off.

Tanev + McCann + 1st for Jones + some lesser center (eg. Hodgson even, more likely Sissons)

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

How about a trade around McCann/Horvat? I know they probably want a center for their first line NOW, but McCann might be a year or two off.

Tanev + McCann + 1st for Jones + some lesser center (eg. Hodgson even, more likely Sissons)

Not a chance.  They aren't even ready to do Duchene, RNH or RyJo for Jones so how can you expect that they would be interested in McCann.  This is Poile earlier this month: https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postsports/2015/12/3/poile_trade_not_part_of_predators_plans_for_seth_jones

To all those waiting and watching for the Nashville Predators to trade defenseman Seth Jones for a high-scoring forward or two, David Poile has a message.

“That’s not happening,” the general manager told the Nashville Post on Thursday.

--------

By the way Kamenev is also a year or two away as per the Predators website and between Sissons and Hodgson - they'd let Hodgson go (I doubt he really has a future beyond this season with Nashville).

6 hours ago, Retinalz said:

If we win the lottery our 1st is worth morethan jones. Matthews is a generational talent that can go #2 centre immediately and #1 within a year. Jones is still unproven as a true #1 dman due to being behind Weber and Josi. Weber is nearly untradeable due to the length of his contract. Nobody wants 7 years of decline for 7.5mil. Josi's contract is too good to trade. 4mil for what he brings is the best contract in the NHL.

That's sort of my point. Why would Nashville do it for anything less? Debatable how much Mathews is worth more than Jones (likely true though) but even if it is, is that value enough to offset the amount Jones is worth more than Tanev? Certainly not for almost any other pick.

Someone said it on another post which i could seriously get behind. Offer sheet jones for 7.2 mill 7 years, as front loaded as the cba will allow. Wed give upba 1st 2nd 3rd, well worth it imo. Sure it looks bad when gm's offersheet guys but im not sure nashvillr would match. 

13 hours ago, Toews said:

At best the odds of getting Matthews with any pick is 20% and that is if the Canucks finish last which IMO is a long shot as there are teams much worse than Vancouver (when healthy).

That logic works the other way around too, though. Canucks don't have to be the worst team to grab that #1 pick. They just have to be bad enough to get a chance. If you ask me, the current team is bad enough to have such an opportunity.

Archived