The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Oilers 1-2 Canucks

CANUCK-EXPRESS

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Hansen is a good example of how long it takes for some players to develop. He was 22 years old before he made it to the NHL and has shown steady improvement through out his career.  This is one of the reasons for not blowing a team up and why we don't  rush on players like Sven and .........

and that's one reason people have to be patient. This team is not 3 years away, it is, if there are not setbacks, about 5 years away. In the meantime, you enjoy the wins like last night against the truly pathetic franchises in this league.

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Are you serious? we won despite Weber. Forget about the wasted offensive chances he had, the defensive lapses were never ending. 

On play when the Canucks had the puck forever in the Oilers zone he slaps his stick on the ice and calls for a pass, then he gets it and has zero plan!!! He promptly gave puck away and when he skates back lazily, with one hand on his stick, to retrieve the puck it gets taken away and then had to chase and take a penalty. Yet another typical Weber play.

In the defensive zone he gave away the puck and had players skate around him like a pylon. Those bad plays perhaps were not as noticable because Marky made big saves and on a couple Weber made a desperation recovery that would not have been required had he not screwed up in the first place.

Yes. I am serious. Every season fans vilify certain players. They then watch for errors on those players and ignore any good things they do. They also pick players that they like and ignore their bad plays. This happens every season. I've been a Canucks fan since day one. I try to watch with an open mind. You should give it a try.

I know there are fans waiting for Vey to make mistakes so they can heap abuse on him. Meanwhile whenever McCann, Hutton, Biega, or Pedan make mistakes it's totally ignored.

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Yes. I am serious. Every season fans vilify certain players. They then watch for errors on those players and ignore any good things they do. They also pick players that they like and ignore their bad plays. This happens every season. I've been a Canucks fan since day one. I try to watch with an open mind. You should give it a try.

I know there are fans waiting for Vey to make mistakes so they can heap abuse on him. Meanwhile whenever McCann, Hutton, Biega, or Pedan make mistakes it's totally ignored.

McCann, Hutton, Biega, and Pedan don't make ammount of obvious mistakes that Weber does. If they screw up, then I'm not afraid to say it was a bad play or a stupid one, like Edler standing still on the Oilers goals last night. I know we can be too harsh on players, but Weber is easily the most frustrating player on the team. He makes mistakes regularly when he's on the ice, and it's painful to watch. It's like watching Andrew Ebbett or Aaron Rome all over again. 

16 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

McCann, Hutton, Biega, and Pedan don't make ammount of obvious mistakes that Weber does. If they screw up, then I'm not afraid to say it was a bad play or a stupid one, like Edler standing still on the Oilers goals last night. I know we can be too harsh on players, but Weber is easily the most frustrating player on the team. He makes mistakes regularly when he's on the ice, and it's painful to watch. It's like watching Andrew Ebbett or Aaron Rome all over again. 

It's funny because I see these guys making there share of mistakes yet I never see them mentioned on CDC.

I was at the game and it was a fun one to be at. Alot of end to end play, good chances at both ends, and some nice goals.

My takeaways

1. Bo//Baer/Vrbata played the best I have seen them play together. There is real chemistry building on that line and it was GREAT to see Bo starting to assert himself more offensively, and as I said on another thread Baer reminds me alot of Nazzy talent wise and confidence wise - (nazzy had little confidence when he came to the canucks, took 2 - 3years and Messier to bring it out). Baer is starting to show alot of confidence with the puck, and there were some great down low support plays he made defensively. This kid is playing the 'right' way - he's going to be fine!

2. Pedan was NOTICEABLE in all the right ways. Threw some punishing hits early to set the tone, used his body to separate the puck from guys effectively and boy can he skate for a big guy, and not just straight line - he is mobile laterally. I hope they give him a longer look.

3. Honey badger - what can you say - hope he retires a Canuck. I think the debate between keeping  him or higgins is pretty clear now. Higgins should go at the deadline.

4. Edler played a VERY strong game defensively

5. I saw a much stronger breakout from this team, quick to get the puck out and up ice and passes on the tape, which led to alot of our chances, great to see.

6. Vey was solid. I was impressed that he started showing us why he was traded for. Still has alot to prove, but he was good in the circle (in fact late in the game he took a defensive zone draw instead of Cracknell...positive sign, means he has improved there) and was creating some chances during the game. Solid effort by him.

7. Weber drives me nuts but what can we do? Hutton played terrific at both ends.

8. Markstrom played a very strong game, was a bit worried by his glove hand as he dropped a few and arguably the goal that beat him was stoppable - perhaps its a weakness he needs to focus on but solid game other than a few wanders out of the blue paint out of desperation.

9. Oilers as loaded as they are didn't really threaten too much, most was from the outside. Eberle was non existant. Hall looks very dangerous but all his shots were from the outside. Was impressed with Draisaitl. His skating looks to have improved immensely. RNH - was he even playing?

Great game by the boys, especially given who we were missing, and nice to see WD being forced into playing our speed in OT because Higgins and Burr were out! LOL

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Are you serious? we won despite Weber. Forget about the wasted offensive chances he had, the defensive lapses were never ending. 

On play when the Canucks had the puck forever in the Oilers zone he slaps his stick on the ice and calls for a pass, then he gets it and has zero plan!!! He promptly gave puck away and when he skates back lazily, with one hand on his stick, to retrieve the puck it gets taken away and then had to chase and take a penalty. Yet another typical Weber play.

In the defensive zone he gave away the puck and had players skate around him like a pylon. Those bad plays perhaps were not as noticable because Marky made big saves and on a couple Weber made a desperation recovery that would not have been required had he not screwed up in the first place.

I was at the game and I agree. I am not a weber fan but that play was unbelievable. He lazily went after the puck and RNH got a partial breakaway, that was only stopped by his penalty. Offensively, which is supposed to be his strength, he missed the net a number of times walking right down main street, and at one point he had an empty net on a one timer (hard as it was across is body but he is a pro), and he tried to take it to the net....He is at best a number 8 but given our depth issues, it is what it is.

I would like to see pedan getting a longer look when we get one of the other boys back (Tanev/Hammer/Sbisa).

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Know what you're saying about perspectives, but if you look at his entire body of work, the balance sheet isn't in his favor.  At the end of the day, wouldn't you want every single player on your roster to give you more than they take away? 

Sure. I just don't agree that he "takes more away" than he gives. Certainly not last night and certainly not considering the extra responsibility he took on because of injuries.

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

I don't think that's true.

I have elsewhere remarked on Hutton's mistakes. To be precise he can't seem to cope with a man taking him on the inside. He is young though and still learning and no doubt he will have the weakness rectified. Oh and I really like Hutton by the way.

Biega has played almost perfectly most nights but he also had a couple of mistakes against the Oilers that could have led to goals.

Pedan's mistakes were easier. He does not get himself into defensive positions early enough. Again he is young and learning, he probably had debut nerves as well. What I loved about his game is like Biega, if in doubt he just takes the man. I like that quality.

McCann's mistakes almost don't matter but he does make them, firstly, because he is so fast he can rectify them with hustle and secondly he is an attacker and his youthful mistakes don't usually hurt us.

So in summing up RWMc1 is in my opinion correct. People on here have chosen to concentrate on Weber as their whipping boy while ignoring mistakes from everyone else.

I actually prefer to turn a blind eye to individual mistakes after all the guy who makes a mistake in the 10th minute is often the guy who digs his team mate out of a hole in the 12th minute. It's a team game and I don't like singling players out for close scrutiny because it will always be easy to make someone a villain by doing that.

Vey last year was an example. People used to go apes-t about him last year but if they had looked closely he was one of these guys always digging team mates (usually defensemen) out of a hole because he is a grafter and a good team player. These type of players tend to be the players team mates (and coaches) like in the team.

As for Edler, he put a perfect stretch pass out to Danny who made a hash of it. It came back into the centre slot position where Edler deflected it up in the air off the No 23. As it came down Vbrata looked like he was best placed to deal with it so Edler retreated back into defensive position because Edmonton had 3 players up (as did Biega) 

Instead of actually contesting the puck Vbrata more or less gave the Oiler a "free pass" (as did Bo following up) leaving Edler in no man's land. He had 2 choices advance or try to block it.. 7 times out of 10 he would have blocked the shot and we wouldn't be discussing this but it crept in at the post.

Sure Edler might have moved up but the Oiler would still have shot before he got to him. The main point is one I have been hammering on about for most of the season. Our forwards have to stop being spectators. Go watch Danny, Vbrata and Bo looking on (Henrik even changed with Bo while this was developing for goodness sake.)

It was a team error but as with Weber, people would rather apportion blame to their fall guy.

Edler has played approx 27 mins a night in the last two games and usually over 25 mins a night. We need to cut the guy some slack and start looking beyond what seems to be his fault and at what the rest of the guys on the ice are doing.

A win in a depleted lineup shows us that Oilers does not have what it takes to be a winning team despite a strong play at home in last few weeks by the Oilers.  This line-up shows us that the Canucks finally have the depth and can withstand any type of injuries.   If Miller is out, no problem, we have Markstrom.   If Henrik Sedin is out, no problem, McCann can play in the line with Daniel and Hansen.    Let's see how the Canucks fare against the Kings.  Remember, they potted 3 points from the Kings and if they get a win on Monday, it shows us that the Canucks can play against the Kings.  Pedan did well in his D debut with solid 10 minutes of action.  

I have a concern about Weber.  He is not a good defenseman.  His general awareness of game situation is poor, even on offensive side of the game because when he received the pass in a long shift in the offense zone, he managed to screw up.   What's the worse thing is that when he had a second chance to redeem his first mistake, he made another mistake, allowing RNH to gain the advantage in a mini-breakaway and commited a penalty which is avoidable in the first place.     First mistake is ok but allowing second mistakes in a sequence is a no-no in this league.  I have been saying, either trade Weber for a late round pick or waive him to Utica and let him find his game in minors.  I might be willing to give him a second chance later in the year if he torch up in Utica with points if he is considered a O-defenseman.    If I am struggling, I would not pick corners and just force the goalie to make a save when receiving a pass in the slot for a scoring chance.  I cannot afford to shoot it wide like Weber did.  This showed me that he has some ego thinking he is a good defenseman because of some good run late last year and continue to make the same mistake again and again all the way must change his attitude if he wants to stick on this roster.   He is taking this for granted, imo. 

Every year at trade deadline there is a big demand for D men. If we are not in a playoff  run will we have some D that will be marketable. We may not think much of Weber but any D that can play 20 minutes a game has to be worth something on the market. What about Bartkowski. Could Benning land third round picks from them. Both have low salary and are UFA's so no future salary to absorb.

20 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

You know, with 5 first overall picks in the Oilers lineup, I'm still surprised they couldn't do more damage.

I have heard it claimed by some Oiler fans that the first three 1OA's they got were in "bad draft years". This is what passes for logic here in Entitled'ton's hockey fanbase.

1 minute ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Why, yes, they can. And to be fair, it's not a widespread opinion. Just the vocal nutjobs. I do get the impression that more people think it than say it, though.

hmm

If those were bad draft years for them, i wonder how the other teams are doing?

Archived