The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Netflix documentary "Making a Murderer"

Poverty

Not what I thought it was going to be at all.  I was thinking it was going to be more of a documentary on the characteristics, actions, psychological behaviors etc that lead up to an adult being a murderer/serial killer/psychopath. 

I just watched the first episode on YouTube and daaaaamn did that get me pretty pissed.  Thanks for sharing.

This doc is an exercise in critical thinking. 

Ultimately, what do you think happened? If you were in the Sheriff's Dept, the judge, or a juror...what would you conclude?

Someone got murdered...and if it wasn't Avery then who did it? Calumet Sheriffs didn't uncover any evidence to suggest another person, mostly because they didn't look for it...and that's pretty understandable from the get go.  

The whole picture looks incredibly unjust but it's hard to fault anyone outside of the Manitowoc dept, except maybe the interrogators. 

I'm left believing Avery was innocent but there's no confusion about why he was found guilty. If it was a frame-up it was an incredibly well done one. 

7 minutes ago, theminister said:

This doc is an exercise in critical thinking. 

Ultimately, what do you think happened? If you were in the Sheriff's Dept, the judge, or a juror...what would you conclude?

Someone got murdered...and if it wasn't Avery then who did it? Calumet Sheriffs didn't uncover any evidence to suggest another person, mostly because they didn't look for it...and that's pretty understandable from the get go.  

The whole picture looks incredibly unjust but it's hard to fault anyone outside of the Manitowoc dept, except maybe the interrogators. 

I'm left believing Avery was innocent but there's no confusion about why he was found guilty. If it was a frame-up it was an incredibly well done one. 

I thought it was pretty poor frame up to be honest. The fact they got away with it blows my mind.  

6 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Is this documentary biased? I mean, in a way that only gives one side of the story.

Ya it's definitely slanted towards the defense. But the prosecutor had a chance to be interviewed/clear up some stuff but declined.  

10 minutes ago, Poverty said:

I thought it was pretty poor frame up to be honest. The fact they got away with it blows my mind.  

Ya it's definitely slanted towards the defense. But the prosecutor had a chance to be interviewed/clear up some stuff but declined.  

Burnt remains on the property within a few days without anyone seeing them do it? That's pretty incredible. Once those were found they wouldn't even look at anyone else for good reason.

If it was a third party, then which officers decided immediately to frame up Avery? I can imagine that her itinerary had his name in it as a last appointment and then they naturally concluded it was him...but...it's also more than a major coincidence that no one else saw her after her visit to the Avery lot.  

If it was a cop...which one are you going to call a murderer? That means it was done solely with the intention of this outcome and he was being stalked/monitored. Conceivable with the lawsuit that they were looking for him to slip up...but that's a huge stretch to calling someone else a murderer too. No less just without evidence.

23 minutes ago, theminister said:

Burnt remains on the property within a few days without anyone seeing them do it? That's pretty incredible. Once those were found they wouldn't even look at anyone else for good reason.

If it was a third party, then which officers decided immediately to frame up Avery? I can imagine that her itinerary had his name in it as a last appointment and then they naturally concluded it was him...but...it's also more than a major coincidence that no one else saw her after her visit to the Avery lot.  

If it was a cop...which one are you going to call a murderer? That means it was done solely with the intention of this outcome and he was being stalked/monitored. Conceivable with the lawsuit that they were looking for him to slip up...but that's a huge stretch to calling someone else a murderer too. No less just without evidence.

test

can't figure out spoiler tags smh

Spoiler

I've only watched part way through episode 5 but I've googled some stuff unfortunately cause I was curious how it turned out. A couple things I can think of. 

-Avery hiding the car when he had access to a car crusher

-They supposedly slit her throat yet find no DNA in his trailer or wherever the murder happened. 

-Evidence being tampered with from his original case in which a vial of his blood was found to have been opened/accessed

-Lenk (a member of Manitowoc PD) being the one to find the Key in Avery's room even though Manitowoc PD  wasn't supposed to be part of the search. The key was found right in the open and Lenk was the one that pointed it out on their 7th(I think) search

-Only Avery's DNA was on the key they found, none of Teresa Halbach's DNA was found on it...odd seeing as how it was her key

-Everything about Brenden's "confession"

39 minutes ago, Poverty said:
  Hide contents

I've only watched part way through episode 5 but I've googled some stuff unfortunately cause I was curious how it turned out. A couple things I can think of. 

-Avery hiding the car when he had access to a car crusher

-They supposedly slit her throat yet find no DNA in his trailer or wherever the murder happened. 

-Evidence being tampered with from his original case in which a vial of his blood was found to have been opened/accessed

-Lenk (a member of Manitowoc PD) being the one to find the Key in Avery's room even though Manitowoc PD  wasn't supposed to be part of the search. The key was found right in the open and Lenk was the one that pointed it out on their 7th(I think) search

-Only Avery's DNA was on the key they found, none of Teresa Halbach's DNA was found on it...odd seeing as how it was her key

-Everything about Brenden's "confession"

I don't want to spoil the rest for you. I'd be interested in countering your points but you'd have to give me permission  

Again, the issue isn't with the problems of the case, those are detailed quite clearly, it's with the lack of evidence toward any other person and the circumstances of coordination that were required to end in that result.

I have my own theory that I'd be happy to share but I don't want to use spoiler tags to discuss it  

For eveyone that hasn't watched it yet I recommend you do. 

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I don't want to spoil the rest for you. I'd be interesting in countering your points but you'd have to give me permission  

Again, the issue isn't with the problems of the case, those are detailed quite clearly, it's with the lack of evidence toward any other person and the circumstances of coordination that were required to end in that result.

I have my own theory that I'd be happy to share but I don't want to use spoiler tags to discuss it  

For eveyone that hasn't watches it yet I reccommend you do. 

Alright, I'm planning on binge watching the rest tomorrow. So I'll have to come back 

Archived