The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Netflix documentary "Making a Murderer"

Poverty

13 hours ago, theminister said:

I have my own theory that I'd be happy to share but I don't want to use spoiler tags to discuss it  

Would like to hear. I have my own, but I'll admit it's mostly based on instinct.

But yeah I watched this recently and got a little obsessed, did a bunch of digging. To the question of if it's biased - there's a slant, for sure, but I didn't come up on much that was majorly glossed over. They did kind of skim by the history of him murdering a cat when he was drinking as a teenager, and the only big fact from the trial that was left out entirely (that I noticed) were the bleach stains on the nephew's jeans. Not much else. 

A few links I still had open in my browser

http://www.milwaukeemag.com/2006/05/01/blood-simple/
http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/making-a-murderer-episode-one.html
http://host.madison.com/news/local/calls-made-from-avery-s-phone-to-halbach-prosecutors-say/article_e120a640-3769-5d22-b7b8-3bf2bdff3e7f.html

One question they mentioned two different burn sites with remains found in them on by his house and the other in a gravel pit. With the small amount of bones and teeth found  how long and got hot would that fire have had to burn. 

Also other than the bones and teeth there was no other dna from the girl found anywhere. Seems kind of strange. And also did they ever get an actual match of the teeth to the girl? I assume the bones can not give identity but dental records would be the best bet to identify the remains I just don't remember them mentioning that the remains were ever identified.

Such a crazy case.

This is a must see documentary. I was hooked from the first episode, it was quite creepy. The obvious corruption going on makes me boil.

Anyways after watching it, I did a little digging and found a thread on reddit with a discussion about this film and revealing even more. It's all verified apparantly.

For anyone who wants to check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/3xyue3/juror11_the_excused_just_posted_this_on_fb_to_the/

Watching it right now, so many feelings. So many angry feelings. 

One in particular is that I really want to punch Ken Kratz. Every time they showed his face. When he talked, especially when he talked. I just felt like punching him

On December 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Apricot said:

Watching it right now, so many feelings. So many angry feelings. 

One in particular is that I really want to punch Ken Kratz. Every time they showed his face. When he talked, especially when he talked. I just felt like punching him

I binged the last 9 episodes in one day. 

This is complete 100% travesty. It's like arguing science with Creationists. Here is a fact - Nope. Here is an evidence - Nope. That Ken Kratz knows how to play the camera better than the two good defense lawyers. The defense team needed a PR person to do the talking for them.

I don't have money, but I hope some people will start crowd funding campaign for the Averys to help them clear Steven and Brendan's names.

13 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

I binged the last 9 episodes in one day. 

This is complete 100% travesty. It's like arguing science with Creationists. Here is a fact - Nope. Here is an evidence - Nope. That Ken Kratz knows how to play the camera better than the two good defense lawyers. The defense team needed a PR person to do the talking for them.

I don't have money, but I hope some people will start crowd funding campaign for the Averys to help them clear Steven and Brendan's names.

How would that affect a jury?

1 hour ago, theminister said:

How would that affect a jury?

Set public opinion before trial even begins. Of course the jury is selected from the public.

I also have a tough time believing that the jury does not receive outside information during the trial. But thats just the cynical me.

19 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

I caught episode 1, 8 and some of 9. My assumption is that the nephew committed the crime and his uncle took the rap. Uncle was trying to cover for the kid. 

That assumption is not supported by anything. 

If that was the truth, why wouldn't they just come out and say that at this point? There's a chance Avery could get out and Brendan is already screwed for life.

Finished it the other day, have one particular thought. 

They had 7 jurors that were on the non quilty side, 3 quilty and 2 undecided right? 

I don't get how 7 jurors can be persuaded into thinking he's quilty. 7 guys. Thats a lot. 

This is just an insane story, both Steven and Brendan deserve a new trial. 

53 minutes ago, Apricot said:

Finished it the other day, have one particular thought. 

They had 7 jurors that were on the non quilty side, 3 quilty and 2 undecided right? 

I don't get how 7 jurors can be persuaded into thinking he's quilty. 7 guys. Thats a lot. 

This is just an insane story, both Steven and Brendan deserve a new trial. 

Apparently, the jurors all decided on a "compromise" to get it over with, as the 3 guilty were very stubborn and couldn't be convinced otherwise. That "compromise" still meant life in prison without parole, but Avery wasn't charged with mutilating the corpse.  

Also, one of the jurors was the father of local Mantiwoc county police officer:

http://www.people.com/article/steven-avery-juror-says-two-jurors-related-county-employees

The same local police station that Avery was suing for wrongful conviction. I'm sure he was partial throughout the whole thing....

On January 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

I caught episode 1, 8 and some of 9. My assumption is that the nephew committed the crime and his uncle took the rap. Uncle was trying to cover for the kid. 

Umm...  I don't think so. Pretty sure the uncle did the crime and dragged the dumb kid into it then the police tampered with evidence to get a conviction.

On January 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM, taxi said:

Apparently, the jurors all decided on a "compromise" to get it over with, as the 3 guilty were very stubborn and couldn't be convinced otherwise. That "compromise" still meant life in prison without parole, but Avery wasn't charged with mutilating the corpse.  

Also, one of the jurors was the father of local Mantiwoc county police officer:

http://www.people.com/article/steven-avery-juror-says-two-jurors-related-county-employees

The same local police station that Avery was suing for wrongful conviction. I'm sure he was partial throughout the whole thing....

Jury psychology is a ridiculously interesting field that I like to do more research in. I have read numerous accounts of how a few 'bullies' persuaded everyone else to their point of view.

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Jury psychology is a ridiculously interesting field that I like to do more research in. I have read numerous accounts of how a few 'bullies' persuaded everyone else to their point of view.

A big issue is whenever you force someone to be on a jury, a proportion of the people are just going to want to get it over with and move on with their lives. In a big murder trial, you're literally going to have people spend months away from their jobs/families. Meanwhile, the people most engaged in the actual trial, and most willing to be there as long as possible, are often the ones with the least going on their lives outside of the trial. You could end up with a situation where a bunch of overly opinionated and unemployed/poorly adjusted people are forcing their views on the majority. 

26 minutes ago, taxi said:

A big issue is whenever you force someone to be on a jury, a proportion of the people are just going to want to get it over with and move on with their lives. In a big murder trial, you're literally going to have people spend months away from their jobs/families. Meanwhile, the people most engaged in the actual trial, and most willing to be there as long as possible, are often the ones with the least going on their lives outside of the trial. You could end up with a situation where a bunch of overly opinionated and unemployed/poorly adjusted people are forcing their views on the majority. 

This is a very good perspective. 

Archived