The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Ashton Sautner

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

They didn't call up Subban because he has no idea how to play defence at the minor league level. How on earth could that possibly translate to being able to play defence at the NHL level? 

If it wasn't for his last name he'd be playing in the ECHL. 

Most overrated prospect in our system right now. 

Wow grinch!! He's been one of r most offensive d man in Utica. For his first year pro he's been the most productive Dman in the Canucks farm in years. Lol 

Some of Subbans stats so far.

2015-16 UTI 23 5 9 14 1 12

With the team on this home stand JB probably just wants some insurance to be close at hand.  If they were on the road in the east somewhere they'd probably just have called him or someone else up on an as needed basis (day before a game) because Utica is close to many places in the eastern conference.  IMO, this cautionary call up is great for the kids in Utica to see that their hard work is being recognized.  Plus even a press box call up would be thrilling for this kid I'd imagine. 

Not to mention that it's probably just a matter of when,  not if, another defenceman gets injured the way things are going so far. 

I wasn't a Sautner fan early on, because I didn't think he was athletic enough. But in true Travis Green fashion, Sautner has come along nicely this year.  With callups and injuries, Sautner has had to step up and play a lot of minutes, including special teams, and he has steadily improved.  Sautner has been out himself a bit this year with injuries.  

He is a medium/small size D man (6', 190), who plays smart and conservative D, and can move the puck out of the zone. Similar to what Clendenning gave us last year and maybe a reason they decided to let Clendenning and Corrado go last year.  Solid all around AHL D man now, who I think we picked up on a PTO last year (?) and Green liked him so he stuck, so there's that.  I suspect if he had to play in Vancouver, he would do OK, as he would keep it pretty simple and make the other team beat him and not give much away.    

I agree that this will be another great chance for a young player to see what the big club looks like.  Who would have thought Joe Cannata and Ashton Sautner would be up with Vancouver ever, much less at the same time.  Think about that for a second.  Two ECHL guys basically.  A lot of times when they come back to Utica after a call up, even where they don't play or don't play much, they have an extra spring in their step and extra swagger/confidence.  Gaunce has been a monster since he got back from his short stint in Van.  Shink is skating like his hair is in fire.  

Subban is getting there. Best offensive D man we have had in 3 years here in Utica. People should be excited about him as a prospect but I wouldn't be surprised if we keep him in Utica a couple more years, which is great because he is fun to watch.  However, my livelihood doesn't depend on him.  He might not be quite so much fun to watch in that case.  

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

With the team on this home stand JB probably just wants some insurance to be close at hand.  If they were on the road in the east somewhere they'd probably just have called him or someone else up on an as needed basis (day before a game) because Utica is close to many places in the eastern conference.  IMO, this cautionary call up is great for the kids in Utica to see that their hard work is being recognized.  Plus even a press box call up would be thrilling for this kid I'd imagine. 

Not to mention that it's probably just a matter of when,  not if, another defenceman gets injured the way things are going so far. 

Don't forget the bonus paycheque these Utica players receive  just for joining the big club for a few days.

Slightly OT but just goes to show how vital an AHL franchise owned by the parent club is to player development.  There is a black hole for this organization between the Moose and Comets years, not all due to poor drafting.  Pleased that Sautner has developed well this year - and glad to see him get some time with the Nucks, even if he is just watching from the sidelines.

14 hours ago, combover said:

Good thing they didn't give clendening away and let corrado go for free ..... Oh right. Oh well, moving on. 

That said So far all the call up have been very solid and have made some of the vets look pretty bad. 

These guys are good players but not better than other cheaper, more convenient options. So you are wise to move on, IMO. That is hockey today. 

11 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

Who cares... Doesn't change the fact that Weber sucks horsepoop.  Sautner could be confined to a wheelchair and have limited use of his brain and still be a better option than Weber.

BTW, that's only the first time you told me that... And boy do I ever feel told!!!

A lot of defencemen are worse on their opposite side, and yes, a guy in his first pro season who hasn't played an NHL game yet in his young career would definitely fall in the category of not being a better option than Weber. Then again, I can see you're not exactly the rational type so why do any of us bother (yes, it get said in every thread about left and right side - you have 800 posts, you're not a newb who's never heard of the concept), I don't know.

10 hours ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Wow grinch!! He's been one of r most offensive d man in Utica. For his first year pro he's been the most productive Dman in the Canucks farm in years. Lol 

Some of Subbans stats so far.

2015-16 UTI 23 5 9 14 1 12

You do know offence and defence aren't the same things, right? Maybe LaBamba was a little extreme the other way but it's still true that Subban has a lot of work to do defensively before he could handle anything more than a specialized, limited minute role in the NHL.

On 12/27/2015 at 3:06 PM, Qwags said:

Have the Canucks ever had this many injuries before? It feels like half of Utica is in the big leagues.

I remember a matchup against Calgary - I'm not sure, but about 4 or 5 years ago - when Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, and perhaps Salo and Alberts (?) - were all out of the lineup.  It was pretty much a green Tanev and an AHL lineup - and they took the 2 points from Calgary.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I remember a matchup against Calgary - I'm not sure, but about 4 or 5 years ago - when Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, and perhaps Salo and Alberts (?) - were all out of the lineup.  It was pretty much a green Tanev and an AHL lineup - and they took the 2 points from Calgary.

5 years ago the twins and Lu could've taken most teams on their own with a few AHL'ers warming the bench ^_^

21 hours ago, LaBamba said:

They didn't call up Subban because he has no idea how to play defence at the minor league level. How on earth could that possibly translate to being able to play defence at the NHL level? 

If it wasn't for his last name he'd be playing in the ECHL. 

Most overrated prospect in our system right now. 

You're on a roll my friend.  Not sure what's wrong, but you're as grumpy lately as this oldtimer (will always be one of my faves here regardless).

Subban has come in and scored 14 points in his first 23 games as a young rookie D in the AHL.  That's pretty damn good imo.  Which is not to say he's NHL ready, but if folks are optimistic about his future, it's somewhat fueled by some very impressive production.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Was that also the case against Nashville when Lee Sweatt scored? That is one of the best Canuck moments of all time.

23 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

:rolleyes: Everytime someone has to said "Is he being traded" or "I wonder if hes being showcased for a trade"

23 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

:rolleyes: Everytime someone has to said "Is he being traded" or "I wonder if hes being showcased for a trade"

ty  Gs!

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

You're on a roll my friend.  Not sure what's wrong, but you're as grumpy lately as this oldtimer (will always be one of my faves here regardless).

Subban has come in and scored 14 points in his first 23 games as a young rookie D in the AHL.  That's pretty damn good imo.  Which is not to say he's NHL ready, but if folks are optimistic about his future, it's somewhat fueled by some very impressive production.

I have blind hate for undersized D-men and I hate Christmas 

Archived