Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Blackhawks D David Rundblad to AHL

Mackcanuck

Right now, our D looks like this:

Edler-Hutton

Bartkowski-Pedan

Sautner-Biega

Weber

That's 1 proven NHL top 4, a rookie who's having a strong season, a borderline depth defensemen, 3 AHL callups who might be good for us one day, and one guy who bears no resemblance to an NHLer.  If Benning doesn't pick this guy up he's throwing in the towel now.  Rundblad can't POSSIBLY be worse then Weber.

Benning should have been considering trading for him before this. Now he HAS to claim him if he gets the opportunity, wouldn't be surprised if he gets snagged.

Runblad isn't being waived because he's terrible, he's being waived because Chicago are stacked on D. Their 7th best defenceman would literally be the Canucks 4th best right now.

4 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Yes but at this point we need bodies lol

Weber and Rundblad are equally disappointing. Having one is not going to change the situation significantly.

Do you know how badly Hawks fans wanted Rundblad to succeed?

Unlike others I'll admit to knowing little about this player.

What I do know is twofold however:

1. His draft history,  age, and physical tools will appeal greatly to many people here who want anyone on defense except who's already here. 

2.  Bowman is a consensus great talent analyst and he's fine with losing this kid and/or hasn't bothered to get creative in order to ensure he stays in their organization.  This coming from an organization that doesn't have anywhere near the depth that they used to.

It's the second one that concerns me actually.

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Benning should have been considering trading for him before this. Now he HAS to claim him if he gets the opportunity, wouldn't be surprised if he gets snagged.

Runblad isn't being waived because he's terrible, he's being waived because Chicago are stacked on D. Their 7th best defenceman would literally be the Canucks 4th best right now.

No he's really not very good. I'd take Bartkowski and probably Weber over him. If he were on an expiring contract I wouldn't mind giving him a shot but I'm pretty sure he's under contract for 2016-17 as well.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

No he's really not very good. I'd take Bartkowski and probably Weber over him. If he were on an expiring contract I wouldn't mind giving him a shot but I'm pretty sure he's under contract for 2016-17 as well.

If we snag Runblad I'd slot him in as our bottom pairing RD in a heartbeat.

Edler - Biega

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Runblad

Pedan

Just a bandaid fix at the moment, when bodies come back we develop Runblad in our system and see how he goes.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we snag Runblad I'd slot him in as our bottom pairing RD in a heartbeat.

Edler - Biega

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Runblad

Pedan

Just a bandaid fix at the moment, when bodies come back we develop Runblad in our system and see how he goes.

To me that right side looks pitiful. I wouldn't have both Weber and Rundbland in the lineup at the same time. To me, a bottom 4 (of those 7) looks better like Hutton/Weber + Pedan/Bartkowksi. 

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

To me that right side looks pitiful. I wouldn't have both Weber and Rundbland in the lineup at the same time. To me, a bottom 4 (of those 7) looks better like Hutton/Weber + Pedan/Bartkowksi. 

So put Weber in the damn press box where he should be anyway.  Rundblad can't possibly be any worse than Weber.

Archived