The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Elbow to Henrik's head in the first 30 sec.

Mackcanuck

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It's shocking really.   Almost like the franchise has totally forgotten Daniel's career almost ending from a cheap shot. And now Henrik is equally as lucky he wasn't seriously injured and there is literally no response or message or hint of support by the brass to protect our team.

please don't mention Prust.  He can't deter anyone.

What's shocking to me is that some are still more fixated on a lack of response by the players than they are with that of the league or the hit itself.  Let's keep the league that oversees this crap accountable, shall we?  In any other job, that's the expectation...so why not here?

That Bertuzzi stuff was all for nothing if the players are "expected" to do anything other than play hockey.  The game was to have changed...but that was obviously lip service.

You're kidding yourself if you ever think we'd get away with retaliating.  Ha, that's a good one.  Sure, it would send a message and we'd be down to a 7 man roster in no time.

22 hours ago, thema said:

So... 4 years a sucker. Me I spend $0 on the NHL so I don't worry about such things since there isn't anything I can do about it. Remember: Bettman answers to Aquilini and the other owners.

Do you really believe that Bettman listens to Aquilini? Hahaha. The Canucks are a cash cow for Bettman, add in we have very little media pull/ upside and it creates the perfect scenario for "skimming profits". The only thing Bettman is concerned about is how to increase commercial revenue in large population markets in the U.S. where the NHL is not the top choice.  If the NHL takes it easy on clubs such as LA, Anaheim, Chicago, Dallas, Tampa, Boston - it is easier to ask them to do things like increase their marketing spend (when they are losing money) inside a market where they are the 3rd or 4th choice when watching sports on TV.  

Where are they hosting the Winter Classic today (one of the largest marketing spends the NHL puts out)? ..... Boston. - please don't compare the Heritage Classic in Van - the spend on the HC is minimal, it is the Winter Classic's poor cousin.

There is no doubt employees inside the NHL understand Bettmans position on increasing revenue - this includes the DoPS, writers on NHL.con and officials. It will not be openly talked about, but it is understood by anyone who wants to cosy up to the top brass inside the NHL. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sounds great on paper....USED to happen this way, until the league/refs picked favourites.  Now it doesn't even out...guys are goaded into retaliating then they pay the price.  We get suspended (remember Hansen batting a puck down??) for things that other teams can do without the bat of an eye.  So inconsistency is to blame...we're damned if we do/don't.  With that, I do wish we would anyhow.  Pay the price in a money well spent/Prust deal.

I know, what you are saying Deb. Damned if you do and damned if you don't... Aye I remember sledge hammer Hansens vicious forearm hit that almost ended Hossas career ::D::D::D not...

Have lost total faith in the league dealing fairly with the Canucks... 

Hows this for an idea? When Daniel got creamed, the players should have been chasing Keith down the tunnel. Then Nucks should have targeted Toews and Kane... That would cost suspensions I'm sure, but maybe just maybe they would understand that targeting our star players would cost...

The league isn't doing its job...

I may be wrong and we won't find peace until we have a couple of Hulks as our star players, who'd love a scrap...

In the end I'm afraid It doesn't really matter, cause if the league wants the screw rhe Nucks there's really nothing we can do about it.

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

In light of Hansen's fine, this is infuriating.  Absolutely need to flying elbow some NHL brass and hope to reset their brains and eyesight.

It is disgusting, it could also be seen as message sending. Hansen's fine was announced 2 days later. It probably occurred right after the Canucks gave them an earful for letting McNabb / LA off.....next day they fine Hansen. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

What's shocking to me is that some are still more fixated on a lack of response by the players than they are with that of the league or the hit itself.  Let's keep the league that oversees this crap accountable, shall we?  In any other job, that's the expectation...so why not here?

That Bertuzzi stuff was all for nothing if the players are "expected" to do anything other than play hockey.  The game was to have changed...but that was obviously lip service.

You're kidding yourself if you ever think we'd get away with retaliating.  Ha, that's a good one.  Sure, it would send a message and we'd be down to a 7 man roster in no time.

I hear what you're saying Deb but in the meanwhile I'd rather control our own destiny as far as cheap shots and player safety. That's basically the Crux of my stance.

im sorry but I'll never accept what has been accepted by our franchise when it comes to what the Sedins have endured.  The Mcnabb hit (keeping things in the present) should have resulted in an immediate retaliation in any of their star players.  Prust can beat retribution into anyone but as a team we sure can go after a toffoli, for an example, with a punishing check.... 

It it gets to a point where the score really does become secondary. And considering our position in transition, I don't see the harm in playing tough hockey.  Either way the cup is a long ways away.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again.

Until Vancouver Fans get together a LARGE online campaign on this issue... ie. Twitter, instagram or some other method, and direct it at Bettman, letting him know we are not going to put up with this cr*p, nothing is going to change.

This has to be front and center in the media before they will react.

The rules in the NHL re. head shots are clear, and the rules are ones which the league has promised it will address, but which is it has decided to selectively ignore in Vancouver's case.

There was no doubt McNabb intended to do Henrik an injury, the fact he wasn't able to succeed is not a reason to ignore his intention.

An online campaign? That will change absolutely nothing on how the NHL does its business and handles its league administration.

Short of people picketing Head Office and demanding change (which won't happen) we are basically in an untenable situation.  If Benning files a complaint with Bettman we will continue to be labelled whiners, much like our Nielsen statue commemorates, or if we keep quiet (which we do now) the League continues on as if this is status quo.

The only thing that can change all of this is a complete turnover of the commissioners office as well as the ousting of Jeremy Jacobs, chairman of the board of governors and the true power behind Bettman's throne.

Unfortunately old age/retirement/medical problems are pretty much the only way this is possible.

23 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

An online campaign? That will change absolutely nothing on how the NHL does its business and handles its league administration.

Short of people picketing Head Office and demanding change (which won't happen) we are basically in an untenable situation.  If Benning files a complaint with Bettman we will continue to be labelled whiners, much like our Nielsen statue commemorates, or if we keep quiet (which we do now) the League continues on as if this is status quo.

The only thing that can change all of this is a complete turnover of the commissioners office as well as the ousting of Jeremy Jacobs, chairman of the board of governors and the true power behind Bettman's throne.

Unfortunately old age/retirement/medical problems are pretty much the only way this is possible.

What about an assassination attempt?

29 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Until Vancouver Fans get together a LARGE online campaign on this issue... ie. Twitter, instagram or some other method, and direct it at Bettman, letting him know we are not going to put up with this cr*p, nothing is going to change.

The rules in the NHL re. head shots are clear, and the rules are ones which the league has promised it will address, but which is it has decided to selectively ignore in Vancouver's case.

There was no doubt McNabb intended to do Henrik an injury, the fact he wasn't able to succeed is not a reason to ignore his intention.

a large on-line campaign crying ? or a properly organized boycott ? either way i would rather see our team have players that can police themselves and smash back, not this cupcake jamboree we've seen for years.

when your star gets gooned its simple,  take a suspension out of retaliating on there stars.

trying a hug fest with their idiot who just ran your star is clown school.

just have every player run their star until he's out of the game. don't even waste time on trying to goon back the gorilla.

example.

Biega jumping on McNabb was fine but next step should have been every player targeting Kopitars knees,ribs and head until he was out of the game. , instead we got a Prust hug fest. ya thanks, a back rub will teach him a real lesson.

obviously this is a old school response but the league has left us O choice.

In my mind, the only way to show Bettman that we mean business is if we empty the arena for one or two home games, that would show them that we have had enough of their incompetent, rather than doing the online campaign.   I mean, the whole empty arena during the game will show it to the media and they will talk about it.   

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Prust uses Twitter. How's that working out?

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't know why the Canucks cannot have any recourse in these or the NHLPA do not get involved. What happened to the "the principle point of contact being the head" or "stopping shots to the head" being a priority of the NHL to get out of the game. They cannot even use the excuse of Sedin not being injured because the book was thrown at Edler's hits on Hertle or his hit on the goalie(can't remember which one) when either one was injured on the play.

10 hours ago, Positive Canuck said:

a large on-line campaign crying ? or a properly organized boycott ? either way i would rather see our team have players that can police themselves and smash back, not this cupcake jamboree we've seen for years.

when your star gets gooned its simple,  take a suspension out of retaliating on there stars.

trying a hug fest with their idiot who just ran your star is clown school.

just have every player run their star until he's out of the game. don't even waste time on trying to goon back the gorilla.

example.

Biega jumping on McNabb was fine but next step should have been every player targeting Kopitars knees,ribs and head until he was out of the game. , instead we got a Prust hug fest. ya thanks, a back rub will teach him a real lesson.

obviously this is a old school response but the league has left us O choice.

Are you going to pay the money lost in wages for the player that gets suspended retaliating? 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Are you going to pay the money lost in wages for the player that gets suspended retaliating? 

Have to say that's quite a lame point of view...

if your team mate doesn't stick up for you, cause they worry about lost wages, they should take up bowls or curling instead... 

I guess we can agree upon the fact the league is not doing enough to prevent these issues... Lots of posts suggests this.

To be honest if a mean mother was tearing me a new one, I wouldn't mind help paying the lost wages to anyone that would nail the bastard. 

Maybe if somebody had given Marchand the Bure elbow after he bitch slapped Henrik, we could have had a different outcome to the finals. And maybe Henrik would have handed the offender a nice little thank you envelope... Who knows...

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Have to say that's quite a lame point of view...

if your team mate doesn't stick up for you, cause they worry about lost wages, they should take up bowls or curling instead... 

I guess we can agree upon the fact the league is not doing enough to prevent these issues... Lots of posts suggests this.

To be honest if a mean mother was tearing me a new one, I wouldn't mind help paying the lost wages to anyone that would nail the bastard. 

Maybe if somebody had given Marchand the Bure elbow after he bitch slapped Henrik, we could have had a different outcome to the finals. And maybe Henrik would have handed the offender a nice little thank you envelope... Who knows...

Some players are too important to a team to lose to suspension.

Some of them are not so important. If they choose to retaliate, they lose wages while not making nearly as much as their more talented teammates. They also run the risk of harsher punishment in the future due to their history of intentionally maiming another player. Deliberately trying to injure another player is also something some guys will never consider.

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

Some players are too important to a team to lose to suspension.

Some of them are not so important. If they choose to retaliate, they lose wages while not making nearly as much as their more talented teammates. They also run the risk of harsher punishment in the future due to their history of intentionally maiming another player. Deliberately trying to injure another player is also something some guys will never consider.

Yes I agree and you are right... However what do you do then, when your star forward gets elbowed? Hope he doesn't get hurt and if he does, do you you just accept the player doing the infringement get maybe, maybe 3-10 games, while your star player is out for x weeks and maybe never becomes the player he was? 

Its the big problem, in particular because the NHL has not been consistent with ruling on elbows, attempted elbows, low bridging etc. This is not just a Canucks issue, but there seems to be teams that gets away with lots more than others.... 

37 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes I agree and you are right... However what do you do then, when your star forward gets elbowed? Hope he doesn't get hurt and if he does, do you you just accept the player doing the infringement get maybe, maybe 3-10 games, while your star player is out for x weeks and maybe never becomes the player he was? 

Its the big problem, in particular because the NHL has not been consistent with ruling on elbows, attempted elbows, low bridging etc. This is not just a Canucks issue, but there seems to be teams that gets away with lots more than others.... 

Sadly that is all you can do. The fans will scream for instant retribution but many of these guys have families to think of. They also have to think about their reputation and how long of a career is realistically possible. This isn't old time hockey where there was hardly an off ice consequences for one's actions. 

I do agree that the NHL needs stricter discipline. This isn't even the first elbow that has gone unpunished. Hedman had one as well. Unfortunately it seems aside from a few instances, if there is no injury, the hit won't get much of a look from the NHL.

On 2016-01-01 at 0:37 PM, HarryCanuck said:

Do you really believe that Bettman listens to Aquilini? Hahaha. The Canucks are a cash cow for Bettman, add in we have very little media pull/ upside and it creates the perfect scenario for "skimming profits". The only thing Bettman is concerned about is how to increase commercial revenue in large population markets in the U.S. where the NHL is not the top choice.  If the NHL takes it easy on clubs such as LA, Anaheim, Chicago, Dallas, Tampa, Boston - it is easier to ask them to do things like increase their marketing spend (when they are losing money) inside a market where they are the 3rd or 4th choice when watching sports on TV.  

Where are they hosting the Winter Classic today (one of the largest marketing spends the NHL puts out)? ..... Boston. - please don't compare the Heritage Classic in Van - the spend on the HC is minimal, it is the Winter Classic's poor cousin.

There is no doubt employees inside the NHL understand Bettmans position on increasing revenue - this includes the DoPS, writers on NHL.con and officials. It will not be openly talked about, but it is understood by anyone who wants to cosy up to the top brass inside the NHL. 

I really think this is the case, if you listened to Colin Campbell talk at the last GM meeting, he clearly stated that the NHL provides the referees with a list of players they deem to be "divers". This is basically an admission that the NHL directs the referees to hold double standards against certain players, and by extension, certain teams. Not to mention the official supervisors are able to give direct instruction to the referees in regard to calling a close game or letting everything go (Boston v Tampa Bay game 7 where zero penalties were called in a series where Tampa was dominating special teams comes to mind). Combine that with the laughing stock that is the DoPS, and it all adds up to a pretty clear picture of how the league can direct how well certain teams do, and how difficult it is for other teams.

Archived