The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Elbow to Henrik's head in the first 30 sec.

Mackcanuck

While the Canucks didn't go after McNabb as much per se. From what I saw, the rest of the team did in fact respond.In this game we saw Pedan and Prust fight and get into the rough stuff as well. The Kings play a heavy game but I did not think the Canucks backed down one bit and that changed a lot since years before. Doughty tried to take Sven's head off and Sven still went back at him until he had to leave the game. Biega did not even wait until the next shift, he tackled McNabb winthin seconds of the hit. Truley I haven't seen that in a long time.

14 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Rubbish!

Go listen to the interview. He said that is what he wants to see from the team. 

He wants them to do it? Did he  get them to do it? Nope 

Guess he has lost his team already 

Easy to stand up at the podium and say that after the fact!!!

guess ypu feel they should lock up WD to a long term deal? 

1 hour ago, The Game said:

Can we please just relax with the tinfoil hat conspiracy BS, please? Why would the league not like the Sedins? Why would the league want to punish the Vancouver Canucks. How would they benefit from not treating the Canucks like any other team? I don't get it. 

Because the Canucks organisation have a put up a statue sitting in front the arena celebrating the NHLs mistreatment of the Canucks over the last 40 years (Neilson waving the white flag to the officials in Chicago). Meanwhile the Canucks are one of the leagues most profitable franchises which generates healthy revenue for the NHL. The net losers are all Canucks fans who religiously support the club...as the NHL uses our profits to try and enter more profitable markets in California or any U.S. City with a large population base. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I thought the Canuck's physical response was great.  They lost because LA is a way better team, but for the first time in a loooong time I thought the Canucks matched up fine physically with LA.  I'm loving Pedan. 

Totally agree about Pedan, best Canuck out there last night. I could not understand why WD benched him in the 3rd? He got very little ice time in the final frame. 

Good fight, great hits and a heavy shot. We need more players like this on the defence. 

After last years's Tofolli cross check from behind into the boards on Burrows went unpunished we just need to realize it's going to be like this in perpetuity. The league will do nothing about it, that much is obvious. Even at the risk of multiple suspensions, that will be guaranteed to be forthcoming, Van needs to adopt the mentality of - "you hit one of ours, we hit two of yours. You injure one of us, we injure five of you."  Have a good old fashioned team brawl and take that respect from the Kings.  This is the year to do it. The team is trending downwards anyway so show the kids how to stand up for themselves. 

I don't necessarily think the league mistreats the Canucks, I think it is the media who mistreats the Canucks. Not neccessarily local media but the eastern bias media that goes on, these sitations go through North america as well. Unfortunately, the Canucks play in a minority situation. How many Canadian teams are there vs how many American teams are out there. There is no interest in Canadian teams in general in the mainstream media. Let's look at the clip for a moment and pretent it was a Blackhawks game and that was Teows. That hit would have been talked about all over the media that covers the NHL. Head office would pretty much have to suspend the guy.

1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

I don't know about the "CLEARLY" leaving his feet part, but elbow furrrrr sureee! 

Yeah, he does keep one of his skates on the ice coming into contact so it's not a clear charging in that respect, but we have seen recently how the NHL has been more specific on unnecessary elevation coming into a hit and that also qualifies here. Add to that the elbow and the fact it wasn't a hit squarely through the body and there should absolutely be a suspension.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, he does keep one of his skates on the ice coming into contact so it's not a clear charging in that respect, but we have seen recently how the NHL has been more specific on unnecessary elevation coming into a hit and that also qualifies here. Add to that the elbow and the fact it wasn't a hit squarely through the body and there should absolutely be a suspension.

A suspension will only come if Sedin was injured for the rest of the season. Then it would be a win win for the NHL. 

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There was a point raised by Gary Valk between periods that mirrors something I have been saying for years: When a team like the Kings target the twins (and the Kings especially have been doing it for years) the Canucks need to respond in kind. Forget about getting back at the McNabbs and Browns, they should be hitting Kopi, Gabby and Doughty hard,  at every opportunity.

Sutter needs to know that if his 3rd and 4th line guys take liberties with the twins, it could result in time on the DL for his best players.

I have long been an advocate of this kind of strategy. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the soldiers for it. We don't have enough hitters nor the muscle should the game turn into a war. Gone are the days when we had Odjick, Antoski, Momesso, Murzyn etc to make the entire team strong. I would like to return to that model but we have a ways to go.

But damn how I would love to see Doughty pasted good. ::D 

28 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

He wants them to do it? Did he  get them to do it? Nope 

Guess he has lost his team already 

Easy to stand up at the podium and say that after the fact!!!

guess ypu feel they should lock up WD to a long term deal? 

Do you really think players can change their habits of a lifetime. What good would it do telling players like the Sedins, Vbrata, Baertschi, Vey, Bo, Tanev etc to fight?

He only coaches the team, he doesn't sign the players. If this Club wants to see "rough justice" JB better start drafting/trading for players who will deliver it.

We gotta remember there is a thing called game management. The Canucks have been very un supportive of their best players. Lets face it, its a weak team we have. The refs need to stop yelling at the players on the ice. They do need to make that head shot call though. Maybe they should add another ref and bigger goals. Does anyone go to a game to watch the refs ? No!!!

52 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It will end when we build a team that takes no prisoners and hands out instant retaliation. That is what I thought we were promised by JB. I hoped that we would break the mould with this rebuild. No more soft midgets. 

For that reason Higgins should have been gone years ago. Bo had better get his act together too, last night he backed off when he should have piled in.

Actually I don't have a problem with Bo, at least if you are referring to the Doughty incident. Just seeing Doughty getting his helmet ripped off and his hair messed up was all good stuff. Don't need Bo busting a knuckle right now.... we are dangerously short on faceoff winning guys.

38 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I have long been an advocate of this kind of strategy. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the soldiers for it. We don't have enough hitters nor the muscle should the game turn into a war. Gone are the days when we had Odjick, Antoski, Momesso, Murzyn etc to make the entire team strong. I would like to return to that model but we have a ways to go.

But damn how I would love to see Doughty pasted good. ::D 

I'll drink to that...

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I like the way you think Rupert but I say don't wait just target their best player and go from there it's a war.

It's funny because back when the Bertuzzi-Moore incident happened, I was critical of the mindset of getting revenge on Moore. In my mind, he was a nobody from the minors, trying to make a name for himself.

At the time I suggested that the Canucks target Sakic, Kariya, Forsberg, Hejduk and Tanguay. Nothing dirty, just clean, hard, punishing hits at every opportunity. Most people on the board disagreed with me at the time, (Many couldn't stomach any mistreatment of Sakic) but I suppose years of abuse of Hank and Dan have swayed some opinions... 

2 hours ago, The Game said:

Can we please just relax with the tinfoil hat conspiracy BS, please? Why would the league not like the Sedins? Why would the league want to punish the Vancouver Canucks. How would they benefit from not treating the Canucks like any other team? I don't get it. 

Because look at how they've treated us compared to their sweetheart teams over the last few years and that's why. 

Pretty sad how linesmen seem to step into these things too soon they should wait until their partner shows up to help.

The linesman put a chokehold on Biega leaving him completely vulnerable, good thing McNabb let up on Biega or he could have throttled Biega after that happened.

2 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

The fact a suspension is unlikely, doesn't really upset me, because have had more than our fair shares, of 'behind the scene' dirty, deliberate headshots. 

The part that I absolutely don't understand, is why Henrik's teammates didn't stand up for him, or at least try to run that guy over later in the game. Besides Biega, everyone watched Hank get crunched into the boards, by an allow to the face. Elder slowly skated over, and watched everything go down. I mean, Hank is the teamsbest player, and our leader, and you watch him get pummeled into the boards like that. Isn't this why we picked up Prust/Dorsett? 

If your going to play $&!#ty hockey, and lose 5-0, with next to zero effort put in, at least play tough, and don't let them physically dominate you. 

Prust fought McNabb the first opportunity he got? The players on the ice during the hit were Henrik, Daniel, Hansen, Biega, and Edler.

Out of that bunch, Hansen is the only one I expect to step up immediately. Expecting Edler to do anything aggressive is wishful thinking, he's simply not interested.

Archived