The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Elbow to Henrik's head in the first 30 sec.

Mackcanuck

Give credit to Lombardi for amassing those big apes who can hit and skate, putting them in a hockey jersey and handing them over to a perfect goon trainer, Darryl Sutter.  Let those primates run over the other team's best players and goalie, strike fear into their hearts or get them off their game. Afterward send in their more skilled apes to have a picnic in the offensive zone without resistance.        

It's no more secret that the Kings are the dirtiest team in the league, and also most likely among all the professional sports teams in North America. But they are the darling of the league's front office and Bettman can't keep his hand out of his pants watching them winning, so the dark times will continue...

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

He wants them to do it? Did he  get them to do it? Nope 

Guess he has lost his team already 

Easy to stand up at the podium and say that after the fact!!!

guess ypu feel they should lock up WD to a long term deal? 

You can have your opinion that the team didn't respond or not, blaming one person isn't really feasible. Does a 55 year old guy need to tell a team of 20-35 year olds to stick up for one another and their teammates in a game that is bred to do so.

From what I've heard is that Prust and McNabb and the overall push back was there in the game and that seems good to me.

Making assumptions and putting words in other peoples mouth's does not do you any favours. Based on Willy's current overall performance he shouldn't be resigned.. but you know what he's had a year and a half, last year he was great... playoff was debatable for sure. This year not as great but honestly look at the roster... it was already weak before the injuries so what coach is going to be better ? He's got 2 years left deal with it

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't blame the on-ice officials for missing the elbow. It was pretty tough to see at game speed and Henrik bounced right back up. Steve Miller, however, completely botched the separating of Biega and McNabb afterward. I have to give McNabb some credit for holding back when Miller dragged Biega to the ice with him.

That being said, when I think of the suspensions handed to Hansen and Burrows for similar incidents, it would be disappointing to see McNabb get off scott free. Unfortunately, in this particular case, I expect to be disappointed.

There was a point raised by Gary Valk between periods that mirrors something I have been saying for years: When a team like the Kings target the twins (and the Kings especially have been doing it for years) the Canucks need to respond in kind. Forget about getting back at the McNabbs and Browns, they should be hitting Kopi, Gabby and Doughty hard,  at every opportunity.

Sutter needs to know that if his 3rd and 4th line guys take liberties with the twins, it could result in time on the DL for his best players.

I strongly agree but this tactic is really hard to execute because Doughty is so slick on the ice that it's real hard to line him for a good hit (this guy would rather turn the puck over than to get hit) and Kopitar is a big guy and there's not one player on our team that can physically punish Kopitar. 

Only option would be to throw an illegal hit but that would result in a harsh suspension and a major penalty against any Canuck player that attempts such thing. I doubt the players nor WD would want to do such thing. We don't have the players that will go the great distance to hurt the other team's players (except Burrows with his words to hurt the opponent's feelings :wub:). 

The only option is to beat them on the score sheet. With the injuries, it's tough to do that right now.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

I strongly agree but this tactic is really hard to execute because Doughty is so slick on the ice that it's real hard to line him for a good hit (this guy would rather turn the puck over than to get hit) and Kopitar is a big guy and there's not one player on our team that can physically punish Kopitar. 

Only option would be to throw an illegal hit but that would result in a harsh suspension and a major penalty against any Canuck player that attempts such thing. I doubt the players nor WD would want to do such thing. We don't have the players that will go the great distance to hurt the other team's players (except Burrows with his words to hurt the opponent's feelings :wub:). 

The only option is to beat them on the score sheet. With the injuries, it's tough to do that right now.

Jonathan Quick? In a similar way Brown steam rolled Luongo. 

While I agree with a lot of the posters I have to point out that we do not have the horses to play a physical game. All the talk about push back and physical play is pointless if we are icing a smallish team both in the top 6 and the bottom 6.

Sure we have prust and Dorsett and currently pedan.  But the bulk of our line up is not big enough to win many battles or throw many hits. Just the facts of life for this team. We can look for payback on the mcnabbs but otherwise we are out matched physically along the boards for teams like LA

And the really sad part for the canucks is most of those smallish players do not have the speed to out skate opponents so it cuts both ways... meh...

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't blame the on-ice officials for missing the elbow. It was pretty tough to see at game speed and Henrik bounced right back up. Steve Miller, however, completely botched the separating of Biega and McNabb afterward. I have to give McNabb some credit for holding back when Miller dragged Biega to the ice with him.

That being said, when I think of the suspensions handed to Hansen and Burrows for similar incidents, it would be disappointing to see McNabb get off scott free. Unfortunately, in this particular case, I expect to be disappointed.

There was a point raised by Gary Valk between periods that mirrors something I have been saying for years: When a team like the Kings target the twins (and the Kings especially have been doing it for years) the Canucks need to respond in kind. Forget about getting back at the McNabbs and Browns, they should be hitting Kopi, Gabby and Doughty hard,  at every opportunity.

Sutter needs to know that if his 3rd and 4th line guys take liberties with the twins, it could result in time on the DL for his best players.

It's an issue the Canucks have had for years.  Do you think they can find some gritty players who can play and also have size?  There are a few teams, including the Kings, who's game plan is to go right after the Canuck skill guys.  When the Canucks answer, if they answer, they quickly run out of grit and often somebody gets injured.  Then the Canucks are in trouble trying to fill holes in the line up.  The Canucks so called grit response consists of Dorsett 6'0" (ya right) 192, Prust 6'0" 195.....even Bieksa was only 198.  The offending Kings last night are listed at:  Nolan 6'3" 219, McNabb 6'4" 216 and there are lots of other players over 210 (11 in total on their roster.....Canucks have only 3 that size including Pedan 6'5" 215 who is the biggest). 

Now I don't want a team who goons it up but when another team starts with them, they need to have an answer.  Dorsett and Prust are willing but they're less than average size for the NHL.  The response as it is now is not taken seriously.

One issue I've had for a long time is why they are always asked to react to these types of situations instead of initiating. Granted, they don't have the make up now, but doesn't the player who takes, the first poke often get the other teams goat and have them running after them? Remember when Henrik was "slapped" by Joe Thornton? It wasn't that big a deal, but I 'd love to see a Canuck leader have that kind of disrespect for their opponent. 

When the Canucks were doing so well, din't they have people who caused shoot to happen like Burrows, Kesler, and Bieksa? 

There have been numerous incidents over the years where the Canucks have been the 98 pound weakling, and the beach bully comes and kicks sands in their face. Then teh bully runs off with the girl to boot. When the 98 pound weakling finds the tonic to hulk up, he just forgets about it. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=catlas+body+comic+book+ad&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXwcm77YHKAhUW32MKHdW8A8QQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=cmZPaICq66lXDM%3A

Messier on Linden in Game 6, 1994 comes to mind.

Corson on Bob Mason comes to mind

Keith on Daniel comes to mind

Nilan on Linden comes to mind...oh wait Gino stepped in that time!

Marchand on Daniel comes to mind

Messier on Gradin comes to mind

Messier on Rich Sutter comes to mind

Berube on Rich Sutter comes to mind

Cue bass solo

3 minutes ago, HarryCanuck said:

Jonathan Quick? In a similar way Brown stream rolled Luongo. 

That'll make my day for sure. :)

You have to be ready to deal with the consequence though.  While Canucks did absolutely nothing to Mr. accidentally-on-purpose after the rat injured Luongo, the whole team of LA buffons gang up on you as early as you are close to tapping Quick's pads. Quick knows he's well protected too, and that's why he goes after the opposing player in the crease with his army of gorillas on skate backing him up. 

If you are to take a run at Quick, might as well do it right and knock him out cold.

4 hours ago, The Game said:

Can we please just relax with the tinfoil hat conspiracy BS, please? Why would the league not like the Sedins? Why would the league want to punish the Vancouver Canucks. How would they benefit from not treating the Canucks like any other team? I don't get it. 

Take this with a gain of salt, but we had our hardwood done about six or seven years back by a guy who is really good friends with an NHL linesman. He said you wouldn't think of the Sedins as "hated players" but he was told that there are a lot of NHL officials who don't like them because they complain about every little thing. 

Now that was back before they were winning the Art Ross, so maybe it was a little of the, "Who are you to complain" type of treatment, but that puts things a bit more in context when the officials do little to protect them.  

And I don't care what sport you play, if you're whining about everything, 24/7, no ref is going to call jack against you. 

Shut up, play the game and let the ref call the game.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Although we didn't play great yesterday, I do think that if mcnabb was tossed as he should have been, we would have won that game

Really? I doubt that the loss of McNabb and even a 5 minute major would have made enough of a difference in that game.

28 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It's an issue the Canucks have had for years.  Do you think they can find some gritty players who can play and also have size?  There are a few teams, including the Kings, who's game plan is to go right after the Canuck skill guys.  When the Canucks answer, if they answer, they quickly run out of grit and often somebody gets injured.  Then the Canucks are in trouble trying to fill holes in the line up.  The Canucks so called grit response consists of Dorsett 6'0" (ya right) 192, Prust 6'0" 195.....even Bieksa was only 198.  The offending Kings last night are listed at:  Nolan 6'3" 219, McNabb 6'4" 216 and there are lots of other players over 210 (11 in total on their roster.....Canucks have only 3 that size including Pedan 6'5" 215 who is the biggest). 

Now I don't want a team who goons it up but when another team starts with them, they need to have an answer.  Dorsett and Prust are willing but they're less than average size for the NHL.  The response as it is now is not taken seriously.

Except I'm not talking about targeting the "offending" guys. When they go after Hank and Dan, we go after Gabby, Kopi, Toffoli and Doughty. Of those four, Kopitar is the only one I would consider "big", but I don't see him as a particularly physical player.

5 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Take this with a gain of salt, but we had our hardwood done about six or seven years back by a guy who is really good friends with an NHL linesman. He said you wouldn't think of the Sedins as "hated players" but he was told that there are a lot of NHL officials who don't like them because they complain about every little thing. 

Now that was back before they were winning the Art Ross, so maybe it was a little of the, "Who are you to complain" type of treatment, but that puts things a bit more in context when the officials do little to protect them.  

And I don't care what sport you play, if you're whining about everything, 24/7, no ref is going to call jack against you. 

Shut up, play the game and let the ref call the game.

It's a fair point, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there are several NHL players who complain all the time. Crosby is an obvious example, but people should spend an entire game watching Drew Doughty chirping at the officials. 

No-one does it better....

Archived