The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Elbow to Henrik's head in the first 30 sec.

Mackcanuck

Been watching this team get bullied for 5 years. No end in site, well , maybe Pedan offers the closest thing to a deterrent we have.

Sedins, Vrbata, Higgins,Burrows,Vey,Weber, Hamhuis,Edler,Tanev etc.. all soft.   

Wasn't really surprised jersey got thrown on the ice after they quit after 20 mins. They seem to quit almost every game. Not that i agree with the goof that did that or ever do it myself, for many people this is just getting to be a joke, not the losing, the lack of 60's, the lack of finishing checks and jam.

3/4 of our Vets are floating around with the only clear objective appearing to be "Not Getting Injured" 

There is not one single Vet outside of the Twins and Hanson i would keep at this point. 

If ownership and management think people are coming back paying elite prices for tickets next season they should come sit in the stands with the masses next game where they would have heard half their section contemplating wearing brown bags over there heads.

Blow this soft puddle of fail up please Benning and lets get this rebuild on track and stop messing around,

My take: yup it was an elbowing penalty for sure and the fact that we got the extra 2 minutes was salt in the wound. However it hardly fazed Hank at all and in fact it energized him like nothing I've seen for awhile. He was running at guys and playing a pretty reckless game for a guy who was supposedly nursing an injury. Biega's response was excellent and Pedan taking on Nolan was great as well. By the time we got to Prust's rather pathetic staged fight we were looking like we were going to give these guys a run for their money. but the usual suspects drained the life out of our team and a couple of unlucky breaks later we were down by 3 and the game was all but over. The hit made us play the best hockey of the game and Hank was unhurt so for me it's all good. I seriously doubt there will be supplemental discipline doled out here; IMHO it was a 2 minute elbow and that's it. We really should be trying to make life harder for THEIR stars however...

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a fair point, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there are several NHL players who complain all the time. Crosby is an obvious example, but people should spend an entire game watching Drew Doughty chirping at the officials. 

No-one does it better....

Personality wise, I'd imagine Doughty is a lot more interesting to talk to than the Sedins. 

I bet there are a lot of jokes with him, and the conversation is a lot more lighter. Kind of like talking to that real cool teacher

I see the Sedins as none stop, point out every detail and dry as heck. Kind of like talking to an accountant. 

And Like I said before, the rep stems back from when they were only 50-60 point type players. If you're going to whine, you better be the face of your team and not a budding second-line player. To give it some more perspective,  it would be like McCann whining after every whistle. 

Hammer the Sedins has been a common strategy ever since they reached star status. Meatheads like Sutter can't even imagine playing any other way. LA is a huge US media centre and the league will do whatever it takes to promote the kings in that market. Vancouver isn't even a media centre in the Canadian market. So that works against us.  I'm still convinced you can play the game without the knuckle dragging bloodlust. It's possible to play with speed, skill AND toughness. But it's harder when the league doesn't see a payback for protecting our stars. 

I'm looking forward to drafting better and that includes players who are tough AND skilled. 

4 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Personality wise, I'd imagine Doughty is a lot more interesting to talk to than the Sedins. 

I bet there are a lot of jokes with him, and the conversation is a lot more lighter. Kind of like talking to that real cool teacher

I see the Sedins as none stop, point out every detail and dry as heck. Kind of like talking to an accountant. 

And Like I said before, the rep stems back from when they were only 50-60 point type players. If you're going to whine, you better be the face of your team and not a budding second-line player. To give it some more perspective,  it would be like McCann whining after every whistle. 

Lol i understand your point but Sedins when they were 50-60 point players were likely 2-4 years into the nhl season not 17/18 year first year players, McCann is a terrible comparison. I also doubt they were whining after every whistle but im assuming that was an exaggeration. Anyways officials are rotated and new ones have been hired since 5 years ago.. 

The NHL does not care about good refereeing or a disciplinary supplement on a missed calls.   This showed me that they will go further to make this game to their liking on the expense of the $$$.   Even a game suspension will be sufficient.   What we need is an action toward the league with other means.   Maybe an investigation on the league like FIFA will go a long way.  This frustration is not limited to the Canucks fan but the league-wide as well for their fans.  They deserved a better called games, than choosing and pick any penalty, even if the referee missed them.   The Players Safety should not go under the umbrella of NHL branches, it needs to be independent from the league head office for this system to work.   The same for NHLOA, the referee is hired by the league, can easily manipulate the results so the referee needs to be independent from the league as well.   That's my take on this issues.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

There's something broken in the system:

Shocker coming from this league.

The NHL has declined so much in on ice quality over the years. Very rarely do I sit through even one period of a game not involving the Canucks. The games are boring and the refs manage every game. The players are overpaid. Its a dying league. I would never shell out what they demand to attend a game for the terrible product they put out.

I will continue watching Canucks games because I am a lifelong fan if the TEAM, unless they start to charge to watch the games in TV and that that point....see ya

Great job during YOUR watch Gary

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The league always punishes the result, not the deed.  Why should this case be any different.

Edler received a 3 games suspension a few seasons ago, there were no injury on the play so that is a big difference, even the point of contact were shoulder and they suspended him anyways.  

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

Been watching this team get bullied for 5 years. No end in site, well , maybe Pedan offers the closest thing to a deterrent we have.

Sedins, Vrbata, Higgins,Burrows,Vey,Weber, Hamhuis,Edler,Tanev etc.. all soft.   

Wasn't really surprised jersey got thrown on the ice after they quit after 20 mins. They seem to quit almost every game. Not that i agree with the goof that did that or ever do it myself, for many people this is just getting to be a joke, not the losing, the lack of 60's, the lack of finishing checks and jam.

3/4 of our Vets are floating around with the only clear objective appearing to be "Not Getting Injured" 

There is not one single Vet outside of the Twins and Hanson i would keep at this point. 

If ownership and management think people are coming back paying elite prices for tickets next season they should come sit in the stands with the masses next game where they would have heard half their section contemplating wearing brown bags over there heads.

Blow this soft puddle of fail up please Benning and lets get this rebuild on track and stop messing around,

I've been saying it for a long time. Until the Canucks have a steady balance of team toughness from top to bottom they cannot play that style of hockey. You can have all the toughness you want on the 4th line or one bruising 6th defenseman but having a painfully soft top 6 and only 1 or 2 D that will actually staple a guy to the boards, and none in the top 4 might I add, allows teams like the Kings physically wear down the Canucks, especially in the playoffs which we saw last season vs Calgary. 

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't blame the on-ice officials for missing the elbow. It was pretty tough to see at game speed and Henrik bounced right back up. Steve Miller, however, completely botched the separating of Biega and McNabb afterward. I have to give McNabb some credit for holding back when Miller dragged Biega to the ice with him.

That being said, when I think of the suspensions handed to Hansen and Burrows for similar incidents, it would be disappointing to see McNabb get off scott free. Unfortunately, in this particular case, I expect to be disappointed.

There was a point raised by Gary Valk between periods that mirrors something I have been saying for years: When a team like the Kings target the twins (and the Kings especially have been doing it for years) the Canucks need to respond in kind. Forget about getting back at the McNabbs and Browns, they should be hitting Kopi, Gabby and Doughty hard,  at every opportunity.

Sutter needs to know that if his 3rd and 4th line guys take liberties with the twins, it could result in time on the DL for his best players.

I woulda put Kopi on the IR for yall. 

Archived