The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] F Scott Gomez, and F Sam Gagner

Mackcanuck

8 minutes ago, Yotes said:

well when baertschi is out of the game and you are slotting dorsett prust and higgins on your 2nd line, that should show that our depth is brutal.

its not a road block, it would be a road block if we were a contender looking to save every penny till deadline day.

he has skill, we lack that, we lack secondary scoring, he can provide that, its proven over almost 600 nhl games. highest scoring forward in arizona last year

I don't think you understood the point - cap flexibility is not merely useful to contenders.

Too soft - too weak in the dot - and already too much softness on the roster - let alone the reality of where Gagner is actually at in the present.

Yeah, when you have an injury in game, sometimes you have to resort to using a bottom six in the top 6 - that's not an argument for making a waiver claim.

Recall Gaunce or Grenier - forget about Gagner. Give the players we have - who are earning it in our system - an opportunity.

if we were gonna reward players in our system we would sit or waive underperfoming players we put out on the ice currently.

I realize gagner isnt the answer, but we need some form of a shot to our secondary scoring department, he is a nhl proven player. Im all for giving a utica player a shot, personally if baertschi is out for any length of time I would love to see Shinkaruk get a fair shake at the can....but will benning do that?

12 minutes ago, Yotes said:

worried about faceoffs, claim the vet in gomez then

:lol:

Gomez is also weak in the dot.  And he's been getting sheltered like a teenager.  

73.6% offensive zone starts - the weakest quality of competition on the Blues - and some of the weakest underlying numbers on that team in that context.  Obviously, he's not the player he used to be, and one that Hitchcock doesn't really trust at this point.

Pass.

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

if we were gonna reward players in our system we would sit or waive underperfoming players we put out on the ice currently.

I realize gagner isnt the answer, but we need some form of a shot to our secondary scoring department, he is a nhl proven player. Im all for giving a utica player a shot, personally if baertschi is out for any length of time I would love to see Shinkaruk get a fair shake at the can....but will benning do that?

I dunno.  Would he give Biega, Pedan or Sautner a chance?

Has he given Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Vey a chance?  Have Grenier or Gaunce ever been recalled?  

Yeah.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I dunno.  Would he give Biega, Pedan or Sautner a chance?

Has he given Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Vey a chance?  Have Grenier or Gaunce ever been recalled?  

Yeah.

ya gaunce was recalled, played well, hasnt been rewarded since, we called up vey and kenins... kept them up why i dont know. You saying biega pedan sautner all those moves were only due to us being depleted on D. Did he recall any of them to play and sit someone on D?

Why hasnt Shinkaruk been giving a chacne to come up and see if he can spark our $&!#ty offense, not like he isnt a ppg in the ahl and is our best offensive prospect not on the team. Where is his chance? You telling me higgins is doing such a great job this year that he is keeping guys like gaunce or shinkaruk out of our lineup...i dont think so

if you enjoy watching us get destroyed every night in the circle and be dead last in the league statistically and feel no need to try and bring in some depth at C thats your choice.

Im sick of watching us literally not able to win a damn draw, and Henrik should rest or get surgery if he cant take a draw lets let him heal, we aint winning no cup

ya gaunce was recalled, played well, hasnt been rewarded since, we called up vey and kenins... kept them up why i dont know. You saying biega pedan sautner all those moves were only due to us being depleted on D. Did he recall any of them to play and sit someone on D?

Why hasnt Shinkaruk been giving a chacne to come up and see if he can spark our $&!#ty offense, not like he isnt a ppg in the ahl and is our best offensive prospect not on the team. Where is his chance? You telling me higgins is doing such a great job this year that he is keeping guys like gaunce or shinkaruk out of our lineup...i dont think so

Shinkaruk has been recalled as well.  

Hutton earned a spot out of camp.  

Take a deep breath Yotes.

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

if you enjoy watching us get destroyed every night in the circle and be dead last in the league statistically and feel no need to try and bring in some depth at C thats your choice.

k.

Gagner 31.3%

Gomez 44% 

Against extremely weak quality of competition.....so do the math.

No upgrades on the waiver wire today.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Shinkaruk has been recalled as well.  

Hutton earned a spot out of camp.  

Take a deep breath Yotes.

I do watch the team, Shink played 1 game on the 4th line thats it. not much of a chance if you ask me.

Im fine, you just like to disagree with anything i ever say thats all, you can it leads to good hockey discussion

I do watch the team, Shink played 1 game on the 4th line thats it. not much of a chance if you ask me.

Im fine, you just like to disagree with anything i ever say thats all, you can it leads to good hockey discussion

That's not quite true Yotes - I don't disagree with anything simply because you've said it, I disagree with what you're saying in this context - that is all.

I understand the sense of desperation (but don't think good decisions are made under the influence) - but who knows, Gagner could be a productive, soft addition to this club who can't win a draw but provides some secondary scoring - I'd simply prefer to go with one of our own, better (imo), younger and affordable options who've earned it in our system - and won't create a cap jam that could limit or handcuff this team's flexibility.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's not quite true Yotes - I don't disagree with anything simply because you've said it, I disagree with what you're saying in this context - that is all.

I understand the sense of desperation (but don't think good decisions are made under the influence) - but who knows, Gagner could be a productive, soft addition to this club who can't win a draw but provides some secondary scoring - I'd simply prefer to go with one of our own, better (imo), younger and affordable options who've earned it in our system - and won't create a cap jam that could limit or handcuff this team's flexibility.

Good description 'desperation'. There always seems to be a underlying thought process that one player can make the dif on the Canucks salvaging their season. There is absolutely no point in claiming a Gagner. As you suggest Benning should spend the rest of the season rotating Utica talent through the Canuck lineup and then top the season off by moving vets out for prospects and pics.

Of course all this goes out the window if Nashville waives CoHo. We would have to grab him! ;) 

If the Canucks are looking for defensive depth via waivers, I feel like they should take a chance on Michael Sdao. He's a 26 year old defenseman whose in Ottawa's system. He's 6'4", shoots on the left side, and plays a big mean style. Sort of like a slightly older version of Pedan but with less offensive flair. There's really only two downsides with him -- one is that he's a lefty and two is that he doesn't have much of an offensive flair... but if the Canucks want to give Pedan big minutes in the AHL instead of press box time/third line NHL minutes to Pedan... they should give Sdao a shot. Sdao, though, has been injured all season and doesn't have NHL experience. Still, the Ryan Stanton experiment worked. Maybe it could work for Sdao too.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Good description 'desperation'. There always seems to be a underlying thought process that one player can make the dif on the Canucks salvaging their season. There is absolutely no point in claiming a Gagner. As you suggest Benning should spend the rest of the season rotating Utica talent through the Canuck lineup and then top the season off by moving vets out for prospects and pics.

Of course all this goes out the window if Nashville waives CoHo. We would have to grab him! ;) 

Not a huge Cody lover at all, but credit where it's due - he's a better faceoff guy than either of these guys, and he has decent underlying numbers in Nashville.

His production isn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination - but he's a cheap, expiring contract and he'd be decent competition to challenge Vey for a spot at this point - perhaps a lateral move...

Archived