The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

I actually liked Achtung Baby and Zooropa. But it's been a vast wasteland of yawns ever since. 

Same.

I will say this about Achtung Baby, though. Unlike all their other records, it sounds incredibly dated. All their others, whether people like them or not (and I definitely understand both sides), most are pretty timeless in there sounds, even their bad/forgettable albums. But Achtung Baby, which I do very much like, stands out as a very “early 90s sound”, especially Mysterious Ways.

I will say this about their new album, it’s actually their strongest in a long time. According to the history of it, in which they began recording 3 years ago, it was essentially ready to release a year ago. But Bono had some serious health issue apparently (life threatening) which he has not gone into detail about, and they went back and rewrote the lyrics to the entire album. All their albums in the last 25 years seem pretty impersonal. But the lyrics, you can tell, actually come from a real place, instead of a band/frontman who’s trying too hard.

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

I actually liked Achtung Baby and Zooropa. But it's been a vast wasteland of yawns ever since. 

Alter Bridge is now what U2 started out being - great unique guitar riffs, strong vocals and meaningful lyrics.   Somewhere Bono wanted to save the world and forgot about song writing and Dave's licks started to be more about the technology/pedals than the guitar.    Tremonti and Kennedy are the current best pair in rock....period. 

On 2015-12-31 at 8:12 AM, riffraff said:

Hey I'm just having a bit of a laugh. Don't get too worked up.  

But keep it real Glassjaw.  You said you like liked your rock dirty in some earlier posts - believe in a nirvana thread.

axl is axl but the guy had more stage presence than most frontmen of any band.  

Slash can do whatever he wants because he is recognized as one of the best guitarists in modern times.  He has more talent than the entire strokes lineup, their fashion consultants, photogs, their management team telling them how to pose as a "rock" band.  

The strokes are and were riding the wave of "rock revival" in the early 2000's playing regurgitated garage noise meanwhile either trying to, or genuinely looking disinterested in doing so.  That video sums them up. Boring.  The crowd is boring.  The whole thing is a jerk off fashion school failure.  Seriously, smoking while singing? Wow. Too cool for school and that act is plaid out too.

tight pants? The strokes obviously are heavy dippers into their sisters closet.

Gnr came out with a bunch of talent, an F off attitude, and put out some great songs in a short time span as one big, ugly, offensive train wreck.  And then they imploded.

basically ask yourself who you would have paid to see in the hay day.  

I know I wouldnt want to sit with the rest of those banana republic office jockeys for any money.  Gimme drunken half wit long haired hesh heads and loose women named crystal and candy at a show any day all day.

I saw gnr open for the Cult in ‘87. I was there for the Cult and got steamrolled at how energetic and fresh gnr were.

Do womem still throw undergarments on stage at rock shows? Nah , the probably take selfies and annoy others by taping 90% of the show and not actually enjoy the moment.

Yet another band I had kind of written off, only for them to release some of their best work...

This is kind of like Preoccupations doing LCD Soundsystem - and I like it more than anything on American Dream. Definitely one of my favourite songs of the year.

LPs:

50: (Sandy) Alex G: Rocket
49: Run the Jewels: RJT3
48: Idles: Brutalism 
47: White Reaper: The World’s Best American Band
46: Girlpool: Power Plant
45: Common Holly: Playing House  
44: Aye Nako: Silver Haze
43: SZA: Ctrl 
42: Slaughter Beach, Dog: Birdie 
41: Annie Hardy: Rules
40: Hand Habits: Wildly Idle (Humble Before the Void) 
39: Liars: TFCF
38: Shilpa Ray: Door Girl 
37: Moses Sumney: Aromanticism 
36: The Living Eyes: Modern Living 
35: Brand New: Science Fiction 
34: Parlor Walls: Opposites
33: Lomelda: Thx
32: Dude York: Seriously
31: Lina Tullgren: Won 
30: Japanese Breakfast: Soft Sounds From Another Planet
29: Hater: You Tried
28: Bedouine: Bedouine
27: Sevdaliza: Ison
26: Torres: Three Futures 
25: Melkbelly: Nothing Valley
24: Downtown Boys: Cost of Living 
23: Vince Staples: Big Fish Theory 
22: The War on Drugs: A Deeper Understanding  
21: Chelsea Wolfe: Hiss Spun
20: Chastity Belt: I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone
19: Big Thief: Capacity
18: PC Worship: Buried Wish 
17: Ted Leo: The Hanged Man
16: Julien Baker: Turn Out the Lights 
15: Tei Shi: Crawl Space
14: St. Vincent: Masseduction 
13: Priests: Nothing Feels Natural
12: Vagabon: Infinite Worlds
11: EMA: Exile in the Outer Ring 
10: Richard Edwards: Lemon Cotton Candy Sunset
09: Milk Music: Mystic 100’s
08: Grandaddy: Last Place
07: Sneaks: It’s a Myth
06: Wolf Parade: Cry Cry Cry 
05: King Woman: Created in the Image of Suffering
04: Father John Misty: Pure Comedy
03: Protomartyr: Relatives in Descent
02: A. Savage: Thawing Dawn 
01: Mount Eerie: A Crow Looked at Me

EPs:

10: Dark Tea: Dark Tea
09: Amber Mark: 3:33am
08: The Deal: Feel
07: Vassals: Halogen Days
06: Art School Jocks: Art School Jocks 
05: Yaeji: ep2
04: Bent: Mattress Springs 
03: Patsy: LA Women 
02: Girl Valley: Out, Cells On 
01: Protruders: Steaming Pile/Dance Dancing Ape

• 3 weeks later...

Favourite albums from 2017:

1.    Alvvays – Antisocialties

2.    Japanese Breakfast – Soft Sounds from Another Planet

3.     Kendrick Lamar – DAMN

4.     Tyler, the Creator – Flower Boy

5.     Lorde – Melodrama

6.     Sampha – Process

7.     Big Thief – Capacity

8.     Fleet Foxes – Crack Up

9.     Perfume Genius – No Shape

10.   Slowdive – s/t

11.   Jay-Z - 4:44

12.   Bjork – Utopia

13.   SZA – Crtl

14.   Grizzly Bear – Painted Ruins

15.   Florist – If Blue Could Be Happiness

16.   Jay Som – Everybody Works

17.   Wolf Alice – Visions of a Life

18.   Protomartyr – Relatives in Descent

19.   Father John Misty – Pure Comedy

20.   Alex Cameron – Forced Witness

21.   Broken Social Scene: Hug of Thunder

22.   Alex G – Rocky

23.   Vince Staples – Big Fish Theory

24.   BROCKHAMPTON – SATURATION II

25.   Feist – Pleasure

Fav songs:

Bjork – Future Forever

Frank Ocean – Chanel

Japanese Breakfast – Road Head

Alvvays – Dreams tonite/In Undertow

Grizzly Bear – Losing All Sense

Animal Collective – Man of Oil

King Krule – Dum Surfer

Fleet Foxes – Third of May

Kendrick Lamar – DNA

Big Thief - Mary

Father John Misty – Pure Comedy

Wolf Alice – Don’t Delete the Kisses

Jay-Z – 4:44

Tyler, the Creator – 911/Lonely

Protomartyr – Private Understanding

Alex G - Alina

Slowdive – Slomo

Lorde – Green Light

Sampha – No One Knows Me Like the Piano

Mountain Goats – Rain in Soho

Alex Cameron & Angel Olsen – Stanger’s Kiss

SZA – Love Galore/Drew Barrymore

Perfume Genius – Slip Away

Sheer Mag – Need to Feel Your Love

I was going to wait til I have my final top 50 albums and tracks of 2017, but I haven't had time to rank everything yet (I listened to a lot of music in 2017).

I haven't really been keeping track of this thread either but I do want to mention one album in my top 5 (possibly album of the year) by 22-year old Colter Wall from Saskatchewan.

Here is a review from Exclaim: http://exclaim.ca/music/article/colter_wall-colter_wall

colter.jpg

Armed with a voice like a gravel road in a dry season, Saskatchewan's Colter Wall sounds more like a world-weary troubadour than most actual world-weary troubadours.

At only 21 years old, Wall's instrument may strike some as borrowed — even unearned. And yet, I'll be damned if he doesn't know how to use that impossible voice of his. Throughout his spare, acoustic self-titled debut, Wall spins tales of murder, lost love and working class politics with all the pretension of a wannabe dust bowler and the unfettered confidence of the real deal. (It helps immeasurably that he is aware of his insider/outsider role, and drops the occasional hint. Tellingly, his 2015 EP was called Imaginary Appalachia.)

Since it's produced by Dave Cobb, the man behind the boards for just about every top-shelf Americana act these days, from Sturgill Simpson to Chris Stapleton, Lindi Ortega to Corb Lund, expect this album to get a lot of critical attention, but don't expect it to be a hit. This is raw, gritty music, stripped down and bare, full of a kind of grinding darkness that can be suffocating in its accumulation across 11 tracks.

Wall falls on the folky side of the Americana divide, generally, and fans of Townes Van Zandt (whom he covers here) will be well served for sure. But there're some nods to Jerry Jeff Walker, David Allen Coe and others in the shambling troubadour tradition scattered throughout the record, a rare, confident, and remarkable debut from a talented newcomer.

Here are some of the best tracks, in my opinion, off his new album:

Archived