The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

Just now, riffraff said:

GTFO!

I don't know that band.  I really do like these two.  To my alien ear, their tones are pleasing.  I enjoyed Presley, the Beatles, and the Beegees too, but my all time most liked would be the Animals.  For 2016 I like the sounds of Hedley, and The Biebster.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know that band.  I really do like these two.  To my alien ear, their tones are pleasing.  I enjoyed Presley, the Beatles, and the Beegees too, but my all time most liked would be the Animals.  For 2016 I like the sounds of Hedley, and The Biebster.  

Lol.  You're a good sport.

my favourite animals tune, well one of my fav songs anyway:

Badass.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Lol.  You're a good sport.

my favourite animals tune, well one of my fav songs anyway:

Badass.

Yup.  The early to mid sixties saw amazing sounds come out of some of the tougher areas of England.  Eric Burdon just looked tough.  :lol: Great vocalist.  I DID NOT care for the Monkeys.  YUK!  They were hated, even on Melmac!

31 minutes ago, riffraff said:

GTFO!

Did you mean BTO? 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The early to mid sixties saw amazing sounds come out of some of the tougher areas of England.  Eric Burdon just looked tough.  :lol: Great vocalist.  I DID NOT care for the Monkeys.  YUK!  They were hated, even on Melmac!

Really liked the blues players of that era, John Mayall is still a fav. All the stars that played with his Blues Breakers, including

Clapton

Mick Taylor

John McVie

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Half my family is from from Liverpool.

gritty.  But very funny.

Watched the TLOP stream today and was initially very impressed, despite some cringeworthy lyrical moments (but that's just part of a kanye album).  The production seemed like a collection of all his previous "sounds" into 1 album:  he brought back a bit of the old soul/gospel samples while building around the stark, cold sound of 808s and the experimental and minimalist elements of Yeezus. It sounded brilliant and strikingly beautiful to me from front to back.  Just need the proper digital version to be released for full context/lyrics/deeper listening etc.  

post digital release edit: ok this album is incredible

i dunno, i wanted to love this sooooo much, but even though i really like it, i feel disappointed

feels like a hodge-podge. not much consistency to it. lyrically it's easily Kanye's worst IMO. some of the lines are cringe-inducingly bad

but at the same time, some of the singles are just really amazing. i love the production through most of it. but the lyrics? the lack of tone throughout? overall, it just doesn't feel like it's on the same level as MBDTF or Yeezus to me

Operators set to release their debut album "blue wave" on April 1.

the single entitled "cold light" is currently out on iTunes. Have made the purchase but haven't had a chance to listen to it through without interruption.

i own everything these guys have done to date so my bias is obvious. They're great.  Dan Boekner is easily one of the most underrated musicians around.  Really looking downed to this album after a seemingly long time since the EP.

On 2016-02-14 at 6:54 AM, GLASSJAW said:

i dunno, i wanted to love this sooooo much, but even though i really like it, i feel disappointed

feels like a hodge-podge. not much consistency to it. lyrically it's easily Kanye's worst IMO. some of the lines are cringe-inducingly bad

but at the same time, some of the singles are just really amazing. i love the production through most of it. but the lyrics? the lack of tone throughout? overall, it just doesn't feel like it's on the same level as MBDTF or Yeezus to me

i think i take this back. this sh-t is just a really fantastic album. 'ultralight beam' is an absolute masterpiece. when Chance steps it up, when the drums hit, when the choir catches up with Kanye at the end? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. song of 2016 already

i still think its inconsistent, but it doesnt bother me as much as it originally did. still don't think its his best work overall, but i definitely think it features some of his best songs

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

i think i take this back. this sh-t is just a really fantastic album. 'ultralight beam' is an absolute masterpiece. when Chance steps it up, when the drums hit, when the choir catches up with Kanye at the end? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. song of 2016 already

i still think its inconsistent, but it doesnt bother me as much as it originally did. still don't think its his best work overall, but i definitely think it features some of his best songs

Yeah I've now listened to it enough times to form more than a very superficial opinion of it.  Production wise I think it's his best, or at least parts of it are.  So many absolutely beautiful sonic moments. I think the schizophrenia of this album was at least partially intended, he's clearly taking the attitude of throwing $&!# against the wall and seeing what sticks. Some of it falls flat for sure as a few tracks really did not fit in with the album standard and should have been singles or bonus tracks or soundcloud throwaways (*ahem* FACTS) even if they were likeable (it sounded more cohesive at the MSG listening party before he added all those tracks for the final release). But this approach also results in a ton of very very cool and dynamic moments, especially love the beat switch on Famous where it goes from the banger type beat to that melodic reggae sample.

Lyrically it seems like pretty standard kanye to me, he's repeating a lot of the themes from previous work such as family, religion, fame, public perception and of course the parts where he's just screwing around and saying dumb $&!#.

I'll probably front to back the rest of his discography so I can compare it to his earlier work but it sounds fantastic to me. Even if it doesn't totally smash expectations the way MBDTF did for example, I would place it in the better half of his work which is an extremely lofty standard to begin with.  Then again it's almost difficult to rank Kanye's work as his albums all occupy different levels of consciousness sound wise.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Kendrick just dropped his album.. wow

It's very good for what it is...it's clearly unpolished and unfinished...but that's the point, it's not supposed to be a proper album.  The underlying genius is obvious as you'd expect, although I do prefer the live Jimmy Fallon version of "Untitled 8" (fka "Untitled 2"

• 2 months later...

new James Blake is good, slow grower - too long. 80 minutes for an album is just too much imo.

new Radiohead out tomorrow

i think the new Kevin Morby album is amazing (great if you're into sorta folky rock stuff). definitely has my #1 spot of the year so far.

enjoy the new Parquet Courts, but it didn't blow me away.

i like the new Drake album too, but i'm not in love with it right now. too long.

but more importantly, AGAIN, NEW RADIOHEAD TOMORROW

4 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

new James Blake is good, slow grower - too long. 80 minutes for an album is just too much imo.

new Radiohead out tomorrow

i think the new Kevin Morby album is amazing (great if you're into sorta folky rock stuff). definitely has my #1 spot of the year so far.

enjoy the new Parquet Courts, but it didn't blow me away.

i like the new Drake album too, but i'm not in love with it right now. too long.

but more importantly, AGAIN, NEW RADIOHEAD TOMORROW

I am having trouble liking anything past Hype, Child's Play and Hotline Bling in Views. And that's just like, not even love. What do you like about it? It's missing the bars and ferocity of If You're Reading This It's Too Late and the catchiness of Take Care. 

Standouts from James Blake?

Archived