The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

My top albums so far this year:

Angel Olsen - My Woman: Just amazing.

Glass Animals - How to be a Human Being: This takes a few listens to get into but I'm really loving this album right now. 

Parquet Courts - Human Performance: Probably my most played album of the summer.

The Avalanches - Wildflower: It's no SILY but the entire album is solid and there's a few songs on there that I absolutely love. 

Radiohead - AMSP

Whitney - Light Upon the Lake: Loved this when it was released but I haven't listened to it much since

RHCP - The Getaway - Obviously not as good as earlier works but still a great album.

The Head and the Heart - Signs of Light

Mitski - Puberty 2: Love her style. Your Best American Girl and Happy are easily two of my favorite songs this year.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial: Unique style but I really enjoyed this album

Frank Ocean - Blonde

Shura - Nothing's Real

21 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Just finished listening and it's a great album. I think I even like it more than Viet Cong and I'll probably like it even more after a few more listens. 

Favorite track is definitely Fever. 

Yeah, I love Viet Cong (I think it was my #2 last y ear), but this is even better for me. Fever is a very good song. I still think my favourite is Memory though - I love the transition around 4 mins. That's Dan Boeckner (sp?) from Wolf Parade that takes over on vocals. Super cool. The long drone conclusion will undoubtedly turn some people off, but I love it and how it transitions into Degraded

45 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Yeah, I love Viet Cong (I think it was my #2 last y ear), but this is even better for me. Fever is a very good song. I still think my favourite is Memory though - I love the transition around 4 mins. That's Dan Boeckner (sp?) from Wolf Parade that takes over on vocals. Super cool. The long drone conclusion will undoubtedly turn some people off, but I love it and how it transitions into Degraded

Yes that transition is one of the best parts imo. Didn't recognize the voice but I definitely like Wolf Parade. Haven't heard anything regarding them for a while though. 

The long drone didn't really bother me. I don't mind that kind of thing if it fits the mood appropriately. 

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yes that transition is one of the best parts imo. Didn't recognize the voice but I definitely like Wolf Parade. Haven't heard anything regarding them for a while though. 

The long drone didn't really bother me. I don't mind that kind of thing if it fits the mood appropriately. 

Rumours or maybe more than rumours of wolf parade reunion.

i enjoyed wolf parade when they were a thing but I'm not sure I need to hear any more of the same unless it's developed into something.

meanwhile Boekner has been involved with divine fits and operators if you didn't know already.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Have you heard it or maybe going to the show?

Heard it - it's just pretty good, nothing special. 

The show is part of a terrible festival that is very expensive (relative to its quality), so no, I will not be going - have to work anyway.

Listened to Love and Hate by Michael Kiwanuka (Soul/Folk) and it's solid. This song in particular is amazing:

Spoiler

Also checked out Who Really Cares by TV Girl (indie pop/chillwave?) and it too is a great listen. I REALLY like their sound. It's unique and almost hypnotic. If I had to compare I'd say they're similar to bands like Neon Indian, Frankie Cosmos and Wild Nothing.

kool keith - feature magnetic: not the strongest release from one of the all-time greats. this is (as the title suggests) very feature-heavy, and many of them are just horrendous. some songs are really good though. i love "tired" for example - before the feature. 

cymbals eat guitars - pretty years: don't think it's amazing or anything, but it's a good album from a very underrated band

been meaning to check that out. Danny Brown is a cool guy, but his voice really irritates me after a while. give it a listen later

was supposed to go to the Preoccupations concert in Vancouver tonight, but I can't get out of some work sht tomorrow :((((

Archived