The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] Trade the Sedins (as an act of love)

Well, well, time to dust of this old account. I'm sure the boards haven't changed too much in the last few years since I've logged on, so I know I'm about to be chewed out quite a bit but as I've been watching the last few games, this thought just kept coming back to me.

I KNOW the Sedins have said multiple times they want to stay in Vancouver b/c of their family and many other reasons but I HATE watching so much talent and heart going to a team that won't be able to make the most out of them for their last few years. I'm not gonna get all emotional and say a bunch of fancy things but I for one want to see them win a cup more than anything.  They deserve it more than anyone else in this league.  They never have said they wouldn't move.

I want them to go to a team that'll win the cup. Bring back some Grade - A talent while their at it, but, to me, that's a bonus, an end. I think they deserve it, and they've been playing so well this year.  The most admirable pair in hockey in my opinion.

Oh well, let the flames begin

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sedins said they're staying here. 

"Expressen reporter Jonatan Lindquist tells Sekeres and Paterson that - after talking with the Sedins in Sweden - the Twins prefer to stay in Vancouver and play out their contracts in an eventual supporting role. Lindquist also says the Sedins would be willing to move, if asked, but their preference is to be Canucks for life "  - http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lindquist-sedins-prefer-to-stay-in-vancouver-in-supporting-role-1.334590

I wonder if after seeing the direction of the team, they might be more willing to go. It's for their own good.

Just now, Aloha_Vancouver said:

Expressen reporter Jonatan Lindquist tells Sekeres and Paterson that - after talking with the Sedins in Sweden - the Twins prefer to stay in Vancouver and play out their contracts in an eventual supporting role. Lindquist also says the Sedins would be willing to move, if asked, but their preference is to be Canucks for life  http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lindquist-sedins-prefer-to-stay-in-vancouver-in-supporting-role-1.334590

Benning describes Henrik and Daniel as fine wine, “they get better with age” he says. And as far as he is concerned the dynamic duo will retire as Canucks.  In the interview he also confirmed that he is taking trade calls but is reluctant to give up any top-end youngsters.

http://604now.com/2015/11/26/gm-benning-sedins-will-retire-as-canucks/

12 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Yea it's not happening

I know it's kinda getting old and been said a million times so what the heck, I'll make it a million +1

If Gretzky can get traded.........

I say JB should figure out a way to move them to Washington Capitals. Retain 50% so each Sedin at $3.5 mill to WSH. That way they could win a Cup and OV could win a Cup and I can sit back and enjoy the ride. 

19 minutes ago, Aloha_Vancouver said:

"Expressen reporter Jonatan Lindquist tells Sekeres and Paterson that - after talking with the Sedins in Sweden - the Twins prefer to stay in Vancouver and play out their contracts in an eventual supporting role. Lindquist also says the Sedins would be willing to move, if asked, but their preference is to be Canucks for life "  - http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lindquist-sedins-prefer-to-stay-in-vancouver-in-supporting-role-1.334590

I wonder if after seeing the direction of the team, they might be more willing to go. It's for their own good.

And Benning has said they're retiring here, so if they aren't asked, they won't move. Until something changes there isn't much to discuss because moving the both of them to a contender, even for 50% retained, is a significant ask.

Just now, Gstank29 said:

So where is the Cap space coming from?

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/washington-capitals

NO CAP SPACE

I don't know, would there be any one coming back? Or are you planning to trade them for a OV jersey?

And if you call any GM in the NHL offering up Sedins at $ 3.5 each the guy on the other side makes cap room or gets fired. 

This won't happen as JB won't retain that much money but IF JB offered that trust me WSH finds a way to make cap space.

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And Benning has said they're retiring here, so if they aren't asked, they won't move. Until something changes there isn't much to discuss because moving the both of them to a contender, even for 50% retained, is a significant ask.

Oh right, because GM's always do what they say they're going to do.  They also never change their mind or bluff.  As a side not: That was also said when the canucks were looking alot better and looked like it might just be a quick rebuild to become serious contenders. JB should trade um.  That's all I'm saying. They'd thank him later.  Guarantee

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know, would there be any one coming back? Or are you planning to trade them for a OV jersey?

And if you call any GM in the NHL offering up Sedins at $ 3.5 each the guy on the other side makes cap room or gets fired. 

This won't happen as JB won't retain that much money but IF JB offered that trust me WSH finds a way to make cap space.

You can't be serious they would have over 50 million dollars committed ot the cap for 2 more seasons. and over 40million  for 3 seasons.

IN 8 PLAYERS for 3 season. Thats over half the cap in under half a team and thats without signing their young players to extensions

Just now, Gstank29 said:

You can't be serious they would have over 50 million dollars committed ot the cap for 2 more seasons. and over 40million  for 3 seasons.

IN 8 PLAYERS

OK kid, they send back Chimera and Laich to us, that's $6.5 mill right there. Go find 500k and call Benning so we can get this deal done before next game.

12 minutes ago, Aloha_Vancouver said:

Oh right, because GM's always do what they say they're going to do.  They also never change their mind or bluff.  As a side not: That was also said when the canucks were looking alot better and looked like it might just be a quick rebuild to become serious contenders. JB should trade um.  That's all I'm saying. They'd thank him later.  Guarantee

Sure, but when both parties are saying the same thing, and the Sedins have the history and respect they do here, and then you include all the factors against being able to trade them more easily for the return we'd expect, it's just very, very unlikely to happen.

Archived