The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler scores on Calgary AFTER final buzzer - hilarity ensues

babych

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Shooting the puck in an empty net after the whistle has long been against 'the code'. 

Code needs to be re written. 

What a dumb code, it's OK to disrespect your opponent's wife, sister or mother by saying some the rudest things in the english language on the ice, but oh no don't shoot a puck into an empty net after the game's over. 

Dumb, uneducated, classless code. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Kind of a condescending response. They are both against the code, I don't know why this is so hard to understand. The next time you see a guy fire a puck into an empty net after the whistle, you can come call me out. 

I'm calling you out.

Shooting the puck into an empty net is probably the least significant thing anyone can do that is disrespectful.

45 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I'm calling you out.

Shooting the puck into an empty net is probably the least significant thing anyone can do that is disrespectful.

I didn't write the code. Fifty percent of what would be included in the 'code' defies logic or is hypocritical. Doesn't change the fact that it elicits a response. 

... and there is precedent for it:

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/videos/video-kunitz-breaks-one-of-hockeys-unwritten-rules-flyers-retaliate/

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins-chris-kunitz-sparks-chaos-in-game-against-flyers-1.3021869

Other players (albeit Flames) agree:

“Same thing if it’s offside and the guy shoots it after the whistle,” said Brodie. “It’s just something you don’t do.”

Mark Giordano, not surprisingly, was of the same mind.

“I don’t know what he was thinking — shooting the puck into the empty net,” said Giordano. “We’re just not going to let a guy do that after a game. It was a great job by our guys to step up.”

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-notebook-gaudreau-takes-a-licking-keeps-on-ticking

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mrs. Alf and I were talking about Rypien last night, and how we loved the way he played.  It would be great to have his toughness in our top minute guys.  I'm still saddened by the way we (Gillis) just cut Rypien adrift - while knowing the guy had a mental illness.  Have we done the same with Kassian?  

Bro, that's what I thought at first but Gillis and AV loved Rypien, It was Rypien's choice not to play for the canucks for the remainder of the season including play offs because he felt too much pressure and thought it would be a bad choice on his part to disrupt the team during that run obviously rypien was better than Orsekvich, Glass, Tambelllini, Hodgson, Lappy whoever else the nonames that were playing on badly hurt canucks during that run. It was also his choice to leave the organization because he thought he would have fresh start with the Jets, sadly he never got the opportunity. But Gillis and AV made a lot of  mistakes during their tenure but they handled Rypien situation very well and never wanted him to leave.

1 hour ago, 89mogilny said:

Bro, that's what I thought at first but Gillis and AV loved Rypien, It was Rypien's choice not to play for the canucks for the remainder of the season including play offs because he felt too much pressure and thought it would be a bad choice on his part to disrupt the team during that run obviously rypien was better than Orsekvich, Glass, Tambelllini, Hodgson, Lappy whoever else the nonames that were playing on badly hurt canucks during that run. It was also his choice to leave the organization because he thought he would have fresh start with the Jets, sadly he never got the opportunity. But Gillis and AV made a lot of  mistakes during their tenure but they handled Rypien situation very well and never wanted him to leave.

Thank you for the clarification.  I think we all appreciated the young man, and loved him as fans do.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank you for the clarification.  I think we all appreciated the young man, and loved him as fans do.  

I also would have given Kassian another chance, I don't know what happened with Kassian after that Toronto game where he accidently hit the lineseman or something, but  was soon shut down for the season and we all thought it was an injury, now it is clear it was something else. I think the canucks could have used Kassian in the Calgary series, he loved Vancouver and wanted to retire as a Canuck soon after he was traded here, not too many players around the league that actually love to play in Vancouver these days. I think the Canucks brass should have given him another chance and tried to help him with his demons rather than just dumping him in Montreal, where it's even worse.

3 minutes ago, 89mogilny said:

I also would have given Kassian another chance, I don't know what happened with Kassian after that Toronto game where he accidently hit the lineseman or something, but  was soon shut down for the season and we all thought it was an injury, now it is clear it was something else. I think the canucks could have used Kassian in the Calgary series, he loved Vancouver and wanted to retire as a Canuck soon after he was traded here, not too many players around the league that actually love to play in Vancouver these days. I think the Canucks brass should have given him another chance and tried to help him with his demons rather than just dumping him in Montreal, where it's even worse.

We have two of the classiest players on our team.  We have management with character.  I too was stunned, and disappointed that Kassian could not have been taken in by someone older than him.  He needed support, not to be discarded.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mrs. Alf and I were talking about Rypien last night, and how we loved the way he played.  It would be great to have his toughness in our top minute guys.  I'm still saddened by the way we (Gillis) just cut Rypien adrift - while knowing the guy had a mental illness.  Have we done the same with Kassian?  

Ya but sorry, how would anyone know what went down behind closed doors? Rypien was a free agent, should the Canucks have offered a contract just because?

We don't know how much was going on to help Rypien but all indications were that it was a lot.

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Ya but sorry, how would anyone know what went down behind closed doors? Rypien was a free agent, should the Canucks have offered a contract just because?

We don't know how much was going on to help Rypien but all indications were that it was a lot.

Yup, hind sight is, well you know.  He was sick.  If he had a physical injury wouldn't they have had to keep him, until he got healed up?  How is a mental illness any different?  It's rhetorical; just this Alien venting frustration.:mellow:

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have two of the classiest players on our team.  We have management with character.  I too was stunned, and disappointed that Kassian could not have been taken in by someone older than him.  He needed support, not to be discarded.

Alf it seemed obvious Kassian thought he was fine and that everyone else was out of step. You are getting depression mixed up with someone who was just too immature to say no to something he knew fine well was not good for him.

He had Willie phoning past coaches and trying everything he knew but the guy was apparently just not prepared to do the right thing.

He got a modicum of success too early and just didn't know how to handle it. So many people, who were ignorant to his real problems, insisted on "buttering him up" of course and that didn't help.

He needed to accept blame and to understand HE was at fault but it appeared he was too busy basking in the ill deserved praise of his idolising, obsequious and equally immature fanbase who had him mixed him up with Bobby Orr, a guy many of them had never even seen and apparently knew little about.

Support is useless unless you accept you are at fault, something Kassian apparently couldn't do. Depression is something far worse and has nothing to do with fault, blame or immature behaviour.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

It's not against any "code" to shot the puck after the buzzer, but why on earth would you do it in the first place? Calgary loss the game, and there was no reason to do it. It's like pouring salt on a open wound.

I tend to agree but when you think about it, in that situation i.e. Kesler in possession, the winning team is the only one that can do it with any credibility.

Anyway I thought the code was that you shouldn't do it if the goalie is between the pipes. I always thought that was to avoid a needless or freak injury to the goalie i.e. he will have let his guard down because he heard the whistle.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Alf it seemed obvious Kassian thought he was fine and that everyone else was out of step. You are getting depression mixed up with someone who was just too immature to say no to something he knew fine well was not good for him.

He had Willie phoning past coaches and trying everything he knew but the guy was apparently just not prepared to do the right thing.

He got a modicum of success too early and just didn't know how to handle it. So many people, who were ignorant to his real problems, insisted on "buttering him up" of course and that didn't help.

He needed to accept blame and to understand HE was at fault but it appeared he was too busy basking in the ill deserved praise of his idolising, obsequious and equally immature fanbase who had him mixed him up with Bobby Orr, a guy many of them had never even seen and apparently knew little about.

Support is useless unless you accept you are at fault, something Kassian apparently couldn't do. Depression is something far worse and has nothing to do with fault, blame or immature behaviour.

You are wise, like owl.  I always thought it would be healthier for the addict to not be hidden away, like the NHL does in stage one.  Does this not allow guys like Kassian to just not face their illness?   

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

You are wise, like owl.  I always thought it would be healthier for the addict to not be hidden away, like the NHL does in stage one.  Does this not allow guys like Kassian to just not face their illness?   

I'm not sure the admission has to be public.

As I understand it the addiction has to be admitted in treatment. For example many alcoholics will not admit they have a problem. For example they will tell you "I can stop whenever I want" Of course they never want to, unless something, usually life changing happens.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not sure the admission has to be public.

As I understand it the addiction has to be admitted in treatment. For example many alcoholics will not admit they have a problem. For example they will tell you "I can stop whenever I want" Of course they never want to, unless something, usually life changing happens.

Ya, I understand that circumstance.  I still believe people with addiction should not feel like they need to hide their illness.  Do we hide a broken limb?  We used to hide away unmarried pregnant girls.  I always thought that it would be a lot healthier for everyone if we accept there are illnesses On a broadly sweeping spectrum, and no matter where the illness falls on that line it's to be treated openly - not like it's something bad or evil to be hidden away.  Okay, you are sick, let's get you well.  I'm a bit limited in my ability to explain.  

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

hmmm, I am having the same argument over in the Kassian traded thread

Archived