The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler scores on Calgary AFTER final buzzer - hilarity ensues

babych

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

hmmm, I am having the same argument over in the Kassian traded thread

Me too. :o hopefully the time comes soon when arguing over this concept would be as silly as arguing whether we should hide if we have a broken arm.

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Could care less, Kesler can be a douche but it's the Calgary Flames.

I understand why the players or fans would get upset, but I'm not about to rage over it.

Ryan Kesler is a straight up tool, it was a bush league move, the guy only has four goals and half of them are empty netters, go figure why he was mad, old man kesler wasn't able to beat out the clock for his fifth goal of the season and he got popped by Wideman a few times for his classless efforts, hopefully they landed flush on his face.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ya, I understand that circumstance.  I still believe people with addiction should not feel like they need to hide their illness.  Do we hide a broken limb?  We used to hide away unmarried pregnant girls.  I always thought that it would be a lot healthier for everyone if we accept there are illnesses On a broadly sweeping spectrum, and no matter where the illness falls on that line it's to be treated openly - not like it's something bad or evil to be hidden away.  Okay, you are sick, let's get you well.  I'm a bit limited in my ability to explain.  

I'm not sure what you mean Alf.

It seems to me Kassian himself was not all that much into hiding what he was up to. Surely the point is that what "ailed" Kassian was not anything like a broken limb or the plight of "an unmarried pregnant girl" and I don't believe you are so naive as to think the Canucks in this age of gutter press and social media "feeding frenzies" should have broadcast the player's addiction. 

As I understand it the Canucks did say to him "let's get you well" Addiction is not like other illnesses though is it? You have to want to get well. I'm sure the Canucks secretly would have loved to come out and broadcast the players addiction problems, it might have cleared up many of the misconceptions around how he was being "treated" but firstly you would have had to get the player's permission (I would have thought) and secondly, how is that going to help him.

Would you want that? I certainly wouldn't.

I thought both teams were classless. Kesler for what he did, and the 3/4 Lames who piled onto him. How many cowards does it take to punch a Kesler?

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not sure what you mean Alf.

It seems to me Kassian himself was not all that much into hiding what he was up to. Surely the point is that what "ailed" Kassian was not anything like a broken limb or the plight of "an unmarried pregnant girl" and I don't believe you are so naive as to think the Canucks in this age of gutter press and social media "feeding frenzies" should have broadcast the player's addiction. 

As I understand it the Canucks did say to him "let's get you well" Addiction is not like other illnesses though is it? You have to want to get well. I'm sure the Canucks secretly would have loved to come out and broadcast the players addiction problems, it might have cleared up many of the misconceptions around how he was being "treated" but firstly you would have had to get the player's permission (I would have thought) and secondly, how is that going to help him.

Would you want that? I certainly wouldn't.

I do have trouble with these earth languages.  I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm trying to express that there is a definate negative stigma attached to the troubles of addiction and mental illness.  I would like society to be in a place where we don't feel negatively towards those who have these issues, so there would be no need (or feeling the need) to be secretive about getting treatment.  I realize the addict (Kassian in this case) needs to accept he's ill, but when there is such negativity swirling around being an addict, and your employer wants to keep everything hush - hush, then the addict would have to accept both their addiction and also that they are weak and a loser for having that addiction.  The message to the addict, because of the secrecy is confusing.  IMHAO.

If Kesler did that in a Canucks uniform everyone here would be laughing and applauding Kesler. Instead the guy who gave it 110% when he was on this team, gets ripped to shreds by the "fans" who once loved him for all the crap he did to get under a teams skin. All because the guy wanted to win a cup? Sure wasnt looking good for Vancouver's future and he decided it was time to go elsewhere before it was too late. unlike the Sedin's who have stayed and are carrying deadweight for the past 3 years are now stuck in a transitional/rebuild and may never get another shot at winning the cup for a couple of years depending on the rebuild. Oh wait thats right, Kesler DID do it in Canucks uniform against Nashville and if memory serves me correct he did it in the playoffs after the whistle.. Anyone complaining and calling him a D-bag then??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kkT91nv9c4

18 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

If Kesler did that in a Canucks uniform everyone here would be laughing and applauding Kesler. Instead the guy who gave it 110% when he was on this team, gets ripped to shreds by the "fans" who once loved him for all the crap he did to get under a teams skin. All because the guy wanted to win a cup? Sure wasnt looking good for Vancouver's future and he decided it was time to go elsewhere before it was too late. unlike the Sedin's who have stayed and are carrying deadweight for the past 3 years are now stuck in a transitional/rebuild and may never get another shot at winning the cup for a couple of years depending on the rebuild. Oh wait thats right, Kesler DID do it in Canucks uniform against Nashville and if memory serves me correct he did it in the playoffs after the whistle.. Anyone complaining and calling him a D-bag then??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kkT91nv9c4

What is your point? If Kesler did that to the Ducks you would see Getzlaf pounding on Kesler, but since he's a Duck his fellow Ducks team maters were backing him up.

Were fans for the team not the player, if he did that as a Canucks yes we would criticize him a bit but he's one of us so we would defend him and back him up. But he isn't so it's open season on the Kesler bashing.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I do have trouble with these earth languages.  I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm trying to express that there is a definate negative stigma attached to the troubles of addiction and mental illness.  I would like society to be in a place where we don't feel negatively towards those who have these issues, so there would be no need (or feeling the need) to be secretive about getting treatment.  I realize the addict (Kassian in this case) needs to accept he's ill, but when there is such negativity swirling around being an addict, and your employer wants to keep everything hush - hush, then the addict would have to accept both their addiction and also that they are weak and a loser for having that addiction.  The message to the addict, because of the secrecy is confusing.  IMHAO.

Well you could be right and in a better world you would be.

All I am saying is that if I were in Kassian's position I would NOT want it broadcast, the world and the media being how it is to-day.

I come on here every day almost, as indeed you do and while I agree that we should probably be more open about addictions some of the posts on these boards are a perfect illustration of lack of empathy and often cruel side of human nature where any weakness is pounced on. 

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well you could be right and in a better world you would be.

All I am saying is that if I were in Kassian's position I would NOT want it broadcast, the world and the media being how it is to-day.

I come on here every day almost, as indeed you do and while I agree that we should probably be more open about addictions some of the posts on these boards are a perfect illustration of lack of empathy and often cruel side of human nature where any weakness is pounced on. 

Back to Kesler - he's an A-HOLE.   Although I hate the Flames, so I didn't mind Kesler putting on his best A-HOLE impression against them.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Back to Kesler - he's an A-HOLE.   Although I hate the Flames, so I didn't mind Kesler putting on his best A-HOLE impression against them.

I like Kesler, always have. He never gave less than 100% for the Canucks and I don't blame him for wanting one last chance given the state Gillis left this Hockey Club.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I like Kesler, always have. He never gave less than 100% for the Canucks and I don't blame him for wanting one last chance given the state Gillis left this Hockey Club.

I found Kesler's attitude here very curmudgeon like, which was only made worse by his young age.  Plus, add in his overt arrogance and it totalled - that which I stated before.  I can accept he's a really good player, but he exudes :sick:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I found Kesler's attitude here very curmudgeon like, which was only made worse by his young age.  Plus, add in his overt arrogance and it totalled - that which I stated before.  I can accept he's a really good player, but he exudes :sick:

Fair enough Alf but just think of how many players would fail that "character" test and CDC would put down a red carpet for every one of them - ironic? - hell yeah

Lucia says hi!:o

Archived