The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brad Marchand suspended 3 games

Probably deserved more but they said on Sportscentre the Winter Classic was a weighted game (like playoffs).  First game back is against the Sens which could be exciting. 

As far as the "repeat offender" status; didn't Elliotte Friedman mention in a panel talk that this only comes into effect regarding fines?  Suspensions were looked at on a situation-by-situation basis.

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Makes sense, So what you're saying is Canucks fans are always looking for reasons to feel they got slighted by the NHL?

And if we break it down a bit further what it really means is  Canucks fans are pretty much just looking for things to complain and whine about. 

I don't know if we're any better or worse than say Montreal or Toronto fans....I think every "hockey market", especially one from Canada will have more than it's share of fans who feel mistreated by the league in general. 

FTR, I don't agree that we're treated differently by the league than the other 29 franchises. I think we're too close to the situation and tend to see only our side of things.

That being said, no suspension to Brad Marchand is ever going to be enough for any fan outside of Massachusetts. Honestly, I thought the lack of injury was going to result in a fine only, or maybe one game. I'll take the three games and run with 'em.

10 hours ago, davitch said:

Probably deserved more but they said on Sportscentre the Winter Classic was a weighted game (like playoffs).  First game back is against the Sens which could be exciting. 

As far as the "repeat offender" status; didn't Elliotte Friedman mention in a panel talk that this only comes into effect regarding fines?  Suspensions were looked at on a situation-by-situation basis.

Which is crap as far as I'm concerned. Sure, it's an event, but it has no more importance to the standings than any other regular season game. The playoffs at least gain some weight as you advance to each round.

The repeat offender only applies to more recent suspensions (with potential for consecutive if suspensions keep happening before RO status expires). Suspensions outside of RO timeframes can still be considered as history though.

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Which is crap as far as I'm concerned. Sure, it's an event, but it has no more importance to the standings than any other regular season game. The playoffs at least gain some weight as you advance to each round.

The repeat offender only applies to more recent suspensions (with potential for consecutive if suspensions keep happening before RO status expires). Suspensions outside of RO timeframes can still be considered as history though.

Exactly! The Winter Classic is just a game more for the NHL to sell more merchandise than anything else. No argument whatsoever for making it weighted more than any other regular season game in terms of punishment. Complete BS!

And you're absolutely right about the RO status. Of important note, however, is that Marchand does currently have repeat offender status according to the CBA, so his suspension should have been longer than other non-injury (because apparently that matters) suspensions for non-RO like Burrows.

What really makes my blood boil about Marchand is his constant stream of whiny excuses. Mistakes happen but they're usually pretty clear and don't keep happening to the same person over and over again. Marchand claims its a mistake/accident every time he gets called out for a dirty hit. He never takes responsibility. Even when he pretends to it's really just another excuse:

"I just want to acknowledge the situation that I've put my team in for being undisciplined and affecting the game for them," said Marchand.

"I truly am sorry to everyone about this situation and it was not my intent to make a hit or try and injure anyone on that play."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/brad-marchand-apologizes-suspension-1.3385910

I might hate the jersey he wears but my dislike of him goes far deeper. He may be skilled, but I simply have no respect as a player.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Only 3 games for a piece of crap move like that? jeez, I thought punishment gets bigger each time due to history and Brad has a big list of it.

It's pretty apparent they gave him fewer games than they should've in order to get him back in time to play Ottawa. It's only a matter of time until this bush league b.s. blows up in their faces Bertuzzi-Moore style.  Which is probably exactly what they want.

Archived