The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Computer Pioneer Ian Murdock found dead - posted anti-police tweets hours prior to his death

Hugor Hill

Ian Murdock died in mysterious circumstances, is it a suicide or a murder? There are still a lot of things unclear.

Summary and images of some of his last tweets: http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/43171/breaking-news/ian-murdock-died.html

Long discussion thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3yktcg/ian_murdock_debian_founder_is_threatening_suicide/

Very sad.  Reading the reports, either he'd lost it or something very strange was going on in his life.

For those that aren't aware, he was responsible for forming what is probably the most popular branch of the Linux operating system.  He named his system Debian (the first part after his girlfiriend Deb, followed by his name.  The distribution he founded is still one of the most popular Linux distributions, especially popular among servers.  I've had it on my desktop from time to time.  Many other distributions have been based directly or indirectly on it, including the two currently most popular desktop distributions, Ubuntu and Linux Mint (the latter being what my wife and I use on our desktops.)

What a waste.

Says that he has many more stories to tell, but doesn't want them to go away when he dies. THEN he commits suicide, allegedly.

With the way that he has written his twitter, it doesn't seem like it's coming from a well-educated man (which I do believe he is). It's truly scary to see what it's like when you've lost your mind.

Brilliant guy, from all accounts. What went wrong though?

16 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Very sad.  Reading the reports, either he'd lost it or something very strange was going on in his life.

For those that aren't aware, he was responsible for forming what is probably the most popular branch of the Linux operating system.  He named his system Debian (the first part after his girlfiriend Deb, followed by his name.  The distribution he founded is still one of the most popular Linux distributions, especially popular among servers.  I've had it on my desktop from time to time.  Many other distributions have been based directly or indirectly on it, including the two currently most popular desktop distributions, Ubuntu and Linux Mint (the latter being what my wife and I use on our desktops.)

17.3 Cinnamon...you?

I've been using debian for years now so this was pretty sad to hear. But halt the conspiracy theories, nowhere does this sound like murder. It's likely a mix of police brutality & mental illness. Here's the deleted tweets, note especially the first one at 5:13:

http://pastebin.com/yk8bgru5

1. 7:12pm: I am a white male, make a lot money, pay a lot of money in taxes, and yet their abuse is equally doned out. DO NOT CROSS THEM!
  2. 7:08pm: This was right after the female officer ripped off my underwear.. I guess that's not considered rape if you're not a woman being raped.
  3. 7:03pm: "We're the police, we can do whatever the &^@# we want.."
  4. 6:49pm: What does one have to get education wise to become a police officer.. asking for a friend.
  5. 6:42pm: The rest of my life is to fight against the police.. they are NOT friends, so don't ever ever believe otherwise.
  6. 6:41pm: The police are uneducated, evil, and sadistic. Do not trust them.
  7. 6:33pm: (2/2) They are uneducated, bitter, and and only interested in power for its own sake. Contact me imurdock@imurdock.com if you can help. -ian
  8. 6:31pm: (1/2) The rest of my life will be devoted to fighting against police abuse.. I'm white, I made $1.4 million last year,
  9. 6:07pm: i'm hoping coming from a successful white guy it will help everyone
  10. 6:06pm: i'm going to post my case on my blog.. if anyone can post it on hacker news or wherever i would apprieciate it
  11. 6:00pm: @jacksormwriter wants me dead
  12. 5:48pm: Writing up my experience for others to hopefully prevent others from police abuse then you won't hear from me again
  13. 5:45pm: where they put you in a cell with absolutely no instructions whatever aside from the spell on the floor in piss?
  14. 5:45pm: shall i post pictures for all my bruises from my against the police officers?
  15. 5:38pm: they said no
  16. 5:38pm: i asked if they had cameras
  17. 5:37pm: then followed my home from there
  18. 5:37pm: i had to have swtitches
  19. 5:36pm: then they pulled me out of my house and did it again
  20. 5:36pm: they followed me home
  21. 5:36pm: i had to go to the hospital
  22. 5:35pm: they beat the $&!# out of me twice, then charged me $25,000 to get out of jail for battery against THEM
  23. 5:34pm: if anyone wants to come over and see what the police did to me i would be more than happy for that
  24. 5:30pm: I'm not committing suicide today. I'll write this all up first, so the police brutality ENDEMIC in this so call free country will be known.
  25. 5:27pm: Maybe my suicide at this, you now, a successful business man, not a NIGGER, will finally bring some attention to this very serious issue.
  26. 5:25pm: My career is over now, so I'll be gone soon.
  27. 5:23pm: Quote: "We're the police, we always win."
  28. 5:22pm: I'll write more much later. They still don't have cameras on all police so I'm going to use my somewhat celebrity to hopefully stop this.
  29. 5:21pm: My bail for "assault against a police officer" are all that: $25,000.
  30. 5:20pm: Then beat me up some more.
  31. 5:20pm: I'll write more on my blog later. But the police here beat me up for knowing on my neighbor's door.. they sent me to the hospital.
  32. 5:14pm: watch my blog later http://ianmurdock.com
  33. 5:13pm: i'm committing suicide tonight.. do not intervene as i have many stories to tell and do not want them to die with me #debian #runnerkristy67

7 hours ago, The Bookie said:

I've been using debian for years now so this was pretty sad to hear. But halt the conspiracy theories, nowhere does this sound like murder. It's likely a mix of police brutality & mental illness. Here's the deleted tweets, note especially the first one at 5:13:

http://pastebin.com/yk8bgru5

Annnnnnnnd 17 mins later he changed his mind.

But yes my guess is he later died from his injuries with perhaps drugs or alcohol mixed into it.

14 hours ago, BanTSN said:

It's sad that it took the death of a well-off white man to finally bring attention to the HUGE cop problem the US has going on right now.

It's a civil war.

Haha pretty sure police brutality against blacks has received massive media attention of late, more so than against well off white men. Sure there are many that deny that there's a problem but that's due to willful ignorance (watching fox news?) rather than lack of information.

On 2015-12-31 at 10:54 PM, CanadianLoonie said:

17.3 Cinnamon...you?

17.2 Mate with an XFCE desktop on top of it.  It allows me to use old computers for a long while.  I haven't had much luck through the years using Mint XFCE, but the XFCE desktop on top of Mate has been really stable.

On December 31, 2015 at 9:17 AM, etsen3 said:

Haha pretty sure police brutality against blacks has received massive media attention of late, more so than against well off white men. Sure there are many that deny that there's a problem but that's due to willful ignorance (watching fox news?) rather than lack of information.

The problem is that not much is being done to solve the problem, despite all the protests

If a rich person has an issue with the police, he has a lot of legal assets at his disposal. Matters can be handled quickly and quietly. Most Americans don't.

Archived