The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] looking to deadline + moving miller

Was thinking of teams that might take on Miller. Likely teams with a little space in the hunt but lacking experienced goaltending. We would likely need to take a contract back to acccomodate.

Potential targets:

Philadelphia (nuevirth + 2016 2nd)

Winnipeg (Hutchinson and 2nd)

Other deadline targets

Anaheim (vrbata for S. Theodore)

Pittsburgh (hamhuis for 1st)

Nashville (Prust for 4th)

1 hour ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Was thinking of teams that might take on Miller. Likely teams with a little space in the hunt but lacking experienced goaltending. We would likely need to take a contract back to acccomodate.

Potential targets:

Other deadline targets

All of them sound realistic except for the Anaheim one. Vrbata for Theodore? Really? Even if they're desperate I doubt they'd pull the trigger on that. It's a very Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg type of trade, and we know who won that easily.

9 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Potential targets:

Other deadline targets

Philly won't want Miller since he won't fix their problems

Winnipeg is not moving Hutchinson for an ageing goalie

And we wouldn't necessarily expect to get back a young goalie in return, although we'd want someone to still be a 1A. Markstrom hasn't played enough to show he's ready for the role yet, so I doubt we see any movement on Miller until at least the summer, if not next season's trade deadline.

I'm not sure any of those deals work to be honest.

Oh, and don't forget to put tags in the title or this'll get locked.

Benning is too conservative when it comes to goal.  I don't think Miller is going anywhere.

Other moves OP suggests are possibles.

I'm not sure how useful Hamhuis will be as a rental this year given the type of injury he has.  Burrows was pretty messed up after he came back the year he broke his jaw.  Also the Canucks are thin on D and I'm not sure there will be free agents available to fill the hole left by Hamhuis on the back end. 

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree, I was surprised he had value last summer. He certainly has very little now, if any.

The Miller fans on CDC will hate on this, but ...

How sure are we that he did have value last summer?

Benning never said he could get a valuable asset for him.  His words were reported as being:

“We could have moved Ryan Miller.” “There were teams calling on Ryan Miller.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/09/canucks-summer-summit-yes-it-could-have-been-miller-gone-if-benning-believed-in-lack/  

and

http://www.gocanucksgo.com/2015/07/10/jim-benning-we-could-have-moved-ryan-miller/

That could mean anything from teams really wanted him and were making firm offers of valuable players well, remember what the Leafs got for David Clarkson?  (No, I'm not suggesting Miller's contract is nearly as bad as Clarkson's, just using an example that someone can be traded for a negative-in Clarkson's case, a player on an uninsured large contract that was expected to spend the rest of his career on the long term injured reserve list.

The fact is we don't know what the Canucks could have gotten last summer.

fwiw, I didn't favour a Miller trade last summer and think they're unlikely to find the right situation to trade him this summer, either.  I'd be surprised if they want to go with Markstrom-Cannata or Markstrom-Bachman next season so they'd probably consider it necessary to acquire an NHL goalie in return.

It would surprise me if they moved him now, or this offseason-and this is coming from a guy who hasn't been high on his being signed in 2014.

On 31/12/2015 at 0:33 PM, Canucks Curse said:

agree, I was surprised he had value last summer. He certainly has very little now, if any.

in other news - waive higgins so brendan gaunce can come up.

He might not have. Just because Benning said there were calls for him doesn't mean there actually was. It could have been just 1 team trying to buy him for a low pick and Benning made the statement to try and get a better price? 1 team I could see calling about Miller is the Ducks, but they would have to trade away one of Gibson or Andersson. So it would have to be a 3 way trade as i wouldn't want to "pay" for their young goalie. We have our own young stud in Demko. Maybe we can try and reunite the Markstrom/Lack duo. The Ducks could use a veteran goalie and Miller could finally play for a legit cup contender. He would probably waive as well because he will be closer to his wife.

TO VAN

Lack

TO ANA

Miller

CAR 3rd

TO CAR

Gibson

I know Bob Murray has been making some really odd looking decisions lately, but I wouldn't expect he'd give up a 22 year old goalie on an entry level contract (750K this year, then 3 years extended at $2.3 million,) save % of .931, GAA of 1.68 and record of 7-4-2 on a team that has been struggling for a 35 year old goalie with a year left at $6 million with a save % of .909, GAA of 2.74 and record of 10-11-6 (also on a struggling team) and a 3rd?

Imo the difference between the trade values of Miller and Gibson is much more than a 3rd.

Archived