The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hansen fined $2000 for diving

b3.

31 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

what we need is to trade burrows and hansen and then the canucks will be good with the refs... 

New fan?

You don't try to work around corruption, you expose it and rally for things to change.

We've been drawing the short stick for years...nothing to do with these two.  They're just easy targets, that's all.

Hansen is probably our hardest working, most honest player.

Now he's labelled a diver? Isn't the point of this to single out repeat embellishers?

I can think of dozens of players who should be labelled before Hansen. Just the league attempting to neuter the Canucks again. Now if Hansen does anything borderline, they can suspend our 2nd leading goal scorer.

55 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

It was a dive, but not one worthy of a fine. Seems like a joke to me.

Exactly. The fact that we had a 10 to 1 ratio of calls going against us, players SHOULD be embellishing. If nothing else it usually gives the refs an out so that their own stat sheets look more professionally called. But to call a dive when two Tampa players were draped all over him, plus the fact that he never got a shot away anyways, PLUS the drastically uneven penalty calls before, SHOULD have not resulted in a call either way. That is in any game that the Canucks are not playing.

Its not a big deal, but this kind of thing gnaws at us fans. Insult to injury. 10 - 1 calls against, and then they have to call a week later and add a fine on top of that.

There seems to be a prevailing sentiment in this thread (as well as the Elbow to Henrik thread) that since McNabb didn't receive supplemental discipline, the league should have cut Hansen some slack.

First of all, the two decisions are made independent of each other. There is no consideration of whether a team has recently been on the short end of a decision. 

Secondly, although I don't claim to be an expert, my understanding is that the fine to Hansen is automatic. As soon as he was deemed to be embellishing for the second time, the league had no choice but to fine him.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know...I love Hansen, but that looked like a Greg Louganis special to me...

Have another look.. You can see the defenders stick flex from the force of Hansen driving forward.  Can't believe they missed that?  These sticks are meant to bend under pressure, it's not a pool noodle! 

I say I can't believe but yet I'm not surprised. Such a conundrum of thoughts.  #Bushleague

NHL Rule 64 is designed to bring attention to, and more seriously penalize players (and teams) who repeatedly dive and embellish in an attempt to draw penalties. Fines are assessed to players and head coaches on a graduated scale outlined below:

Citation   Player Fine(s)        * Head Coach Fine(s)
1             Warning                      N/A
2             $2,000                        N/A
3             $3,000                        N/A
4             $4,000                       $2,000
5             $5,000                       $3,000
6            $5,000                        $4,000
7            $5,000                        $5,000
8            $5,000                        $5,000

* For Head Coach, each fine issued to a player on his Club counts toward their total.

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hansen is probably our hardest working, most honest player.

Now he's labelled a diver? Isn't the point of this to single out repeat embellishers?

I can think of dozens of players who should be labelled before Hansen. Just the league attempting to neuter the Canucks again. Now if Hansen does anything borderline, they can suspend our 2nd leading goal scorer.

Nope. Next offence this season will result in a $3000 fine. And so on up to a $5000 max.  on the 4th offence the coach starts getting fined too. The player can never be suspended for embellishment so just relax on the drama 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Nope. Next offence this season will result in a $3000 fine. And so on up to a $5000 max.  on the 4th offence the coach starts getting fined too. The player can never be suspended for embellishment so just relax on the drama 

So this only counts towards future embellishment incidents? It can't increase the chance of him getting suspended for a dirty hit?

Just now, DeNiro said:

So this only counts towards future embellishment incidents? It can't increase the chance of him getting suspended for a dirty hit?

Just counts towards how much he can be fined for embellishment. If he were to commit a suspension worthy offence his embellishments play no role in deciding on the suspension. They're completely unrelated 

I've never been a fan of diving penalties. It puts too much power into the hands of the ref.  It assumes referees can confidently assess intent as opposed to actual actions. If a player chooses to dive, let him dive and don't call the infraction that led to it. But there's too much guess work involved to call diving. When skaters go at those speeds, they can trip or lose balance over all  sorts of factors. When you play as hard as Hansen, you lose control at times. 

4 hours ago, thema said:

I love this sort of "logic"; it fits right in with the old "Bertuzzi had to attack Moore because the NHL refused to agree with the Canucks that Moore's hit on Naslund was dirty" logic or the "Burrows has to dive because the refs all hate him and won't call penalties against him". Sits nicely alongside the long held belief that "nobody is allowed to hit our star players" philosophy that prevails around here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is basically, Henrik should accept being elbowed by some AHL player, and no one should let them pay the penalty, but instead wait for the league to deal with it???

How did that work for Daniel being hit by Keith or Henrik being hit?

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His theoretical suspension would be affected by prior department of player safety incidents not the diving committee. 

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I've never been a fan of diving penalties. It puts too much power into the hands of the ref.  It assumes referees can confidently assess intent as opposed to actual actions. If a player chooses to dive, let him dive and don't call the infraction that led to it. But there's too much guess work involved to call diving. When skaters go at those speeds, they can trip or lose balance over all  sorts of factors. When you play as hard as Hansen, you lose control at times. 

Do you want to go back to the days when Kesler would go down like hexes shot by a sniper in the crowd every time he got touched?  The penalties and fines are there to try to keep the players honest. I agree it's a difficult penalty to call with 100% certainty, but it's better than when players were diving multiple times a game to try to draw a penalty 

3 hours ago, thema said:

Says a guy whose user name is "Positive Canuck". The fourth sentence here confirms your cretin status.

Maybe he's HIV positive?..should consider a person's health condition before you make fun of them!

4 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

LOL @ people complaining about the fine. 

it's mostly the principal behind the fine. hansen's a real hard working guy, and that diving penalty, he was called at the wrong place at the wrong time. in real time, its a tough call to make, but in a game where the penalties were 4:1, you'd kinda see why people would complain

Are you F'ing kidding me?!

So the guy puts his stick across Hansen's legs AND then shoves him with his forearm and Hansen was guilty of embellishment for not learning to fly at that exact moment?

F U, NHL.

Really glad to know you thought THIS was worth a fine but a deliberate and obvious elbow to the head wasn't worth even that much. Nice priorities, NHL. I hope it's used as evidence against you someday!

Archived