The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green and the Canucks

JamesB

A lot of people have been calling for WD to be fired. It won't happen this season and probably won't happen in the summer either. Like a lot of other people, I suspect that the succession plan is to promote Travis Green, maybe for the 2017-18 season. And, frankly, I think WD has done a good job given the low talent level on the Canucks this year (despite the great performance of the Sedins).

But this post is about Travis Green (TG) not WD. I have been very impressed by Travis Green (and he is from BC!).

I was particularly struck by Pedan's comments about TG, indicating that TG had done a great job of teaching him and giving TG a lot of credit for the progress Pedan has made this year.

This is consistent with an aspect of Green's record that I have not seen discussed much. I am referring to the in-season improvement exhibited by the Comets in each of their 3 years so far. If a team improves over the course of a season that is a good indicator that the coach is having a lot of value-added.

Here is my summary:

In year 1 (2013-14) the Comets were just getting started. The Canucks did not have many good prospects to stock the team with and they did not have any holdover AHL vets either. They were a poor AHL team and lost the first 10 games. They added a couple of key players, but the team also improved its play generally and made a good run at the end, almost making the playoffs. That indicates good developmental coaching. Apart from the first 10 games they would have made the playoffs.

In year 2 (2014-15) the Comets added some good prospects (Gaunce, Shinkaruk, etc.) added some really good AHL vets (like BoSang) and got good goaltending from Marky. They were solid to start the season but got better and better, making a run all the way to the Calder Cup Finals. Once again, this suggests good developmental coaching. And some of the prospects, like Gaunce and Grenier made great progress over the year.

This year, the team let their key AHL vets go (BoSang and OReilly) and lost Markstrom to the Canucks. And one of the key expected vets was Cracknell, who made the Canucks. Hutton was also supposed to be on the D but he made the Canucks. The result was putting a lot more responsibility on the prospects and relying on a very green D. (Sorry for the pun.) 

Not surprisingly the team struggled a bit at the start but, once again the team has improved, is now in solid playoff position and is on a string of 7 games in a row without a regulation loss. And this is despite a lot of their top players being called up. And the key prospects (Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Pedan, Sautner, Grenier, Subban) are looking very good.

So my model is as follows: the Canucks continue to struggle this year, trade vets for picks at the deadline, and have another good draft. Next year WD stays with the Canucks and TG stays in Utica. The team starts to turn the corner next year but WD is about the age where retirement makes sense. Then TG moves to the Canucks.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Willie's contract ends in the 2018-19 season. I think the plan is for Willie to finish his contract then have Green take over. But with how inpatient the owners are it could be by the end of this season...

It will kind of be similar to the way Detroit and Tampa did it with Blashill and Cooper. Green will have time to work with our young players, Shinakruk, Gaunce, Boeser, Demko, etc. and he can get familiar with them then make his transition to the NHL at the same time as our prospects.

But Green's contract ends this year I believe so we will have to wait and see if he will resign or go to an NHL team.

bennings plan to have the young guys learn from the vets about playing the right way, hasn't projected into wins....with the number of teams, 17 teams within 7 points of each other, moving ahead is most difficult....tl, jb, wd, and fa, know that they have to stay the course now because, even, with more draft choices, without older players on the team, the young guys could be  hurt and their careers, derailed...wd is doing the best he can with the resources he has....it is difficult to know if, tl was the coach, we would fare any better.....we just have to be patient....it will take time for benning to build this team....

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

bennings plan to have the young guys learn from the vets about playing the right way, hasn't projected into wins....with the number of teams, 17 teams within 7 points of each other, moving ahead is most difficult....tl, jb, wd, and fa, know that they have to stay the course now because, even, with more draft choices, without older players on the team, the young guys could be  hurt and their careers, derailed...wd is doing the best he can with the resources he has....it is difficult to know if, tl was the coach, we would fare any better.....we just have to be patient....it will take time for benning to build this team....

Yep. He inherited a mess that won't be easily fixed overnight. The people that complain about the Forsling for Clendening trade (as an example) are the same people that will be losing their minds in a few years when they realize we had nothing in the pipeline.

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yep. He inherited a mess that won't be easily fixed overnight. The people that complain about the Forsling for Clendening trade (as an example) are the same people that will be losing their minds in a few years when they realize we had nothing in the pipeline.

In the 'statement' thread people are asking how we are going to fix the team without 24-28 year olds and then can't understand why we traded for Baertschi, Pedan, Clendening, Sutter, and drafted 19 year olds in Tryamkin and Neill.

It's a statement, just not one that a person without a half critical eye can decipher. The pool when JB came in was, in his words, 'shocking,'

Anyway, Green is doing a great job working with the young guys and developing report. Whether or not he makes the jump to the NHL with us remains to be seen. He will be a sought after commodity, as was WD.

11 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Sound like you contradicted yourself there.

Just now, ice orca said:

Sound like you contradicted yourself there.

No, he didn't.

We acquired a more mature prospect and then moved him in a deal for a centre that we can build around over the next few years. That's not contradictory at all. It's just not a straight line.

Just like acquiring picks and then moving others for prospects like Pedan and Beartschi is not contradictory. It's addressing identified needs.

51 minutes ago, Gyllenhaal said:

Willie's contract ends in the 2018-19 season. I think the plan is for Willie to finish his contract then have Green take over. But with how inpatient the owners are it could be by the end of this season...

It will kind of be similar to the way Detroit and Tampa did it with Blashill and Cooper. Green will have time to work with our young players, Shinakruk, Gaunce, Boeser, Demko, etc. and he can get familiar with them then make his transition to the NHL at the same time as our prospects.

But Green's contract ends this year I believe so we will have to wait and see if he will resign or go to an NHL team.

Because the owners want to pay another coach to not work for them.

Because the management team wouldn't have explained their plan to AquaMan ahead of time.

18 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Having TG in Utica is probably the best thing the Canucks can ask for as far as development goes

Yes, remember that being an AHL coach is much more hands on than being and NHL coach.  An NHL coach is more of a manager and in game tactician.  They'll need to keep Green interested by paying him well.  I think that he could have more impact on this developing team in the A.  However, at some point, he will have to be promoted because he has ambition.

Maybe they make him an assistant to Willie first.

FWIW Green is 45 years old, was assistant Coach and assistant GM for the Winterhawks from 2008-2012,  Head Coach from mid season 2012-13 for 47 games when they went to the Mem Cup tournament.  Since 2013-14 he has been head coach in Utica.  He's obviously a star on the rise but his experience pre Utica is not long.

7 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Marc Crawford please. I don't want another rookie head coach.

Marc has coached the last 3 years in Europe.  Not even coaching this year.  Why do you think he can't get a job in the NHL?

I agree with OP.   The Canucks will have to overpay TG to stay with Utica until the Nucks are ready for him.  WD isn't as bad as what people think.  He has a that is fighting injuries on and off the ice and a crew of prospects that should be playing in Utica.

8 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

A lot of good AHL coaches are just that AHL coaches. NHL gig is more about preperation and reading players, less about teaching fundamentals. You always have youth but a lot would get relegated to the asst. Coaches IMHO. 

I would think that most NHL coaches come up through the Jr and AHL ranks.  They don't just start coaching in the NHL.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Marc has coached the last 3 years in Europe.  Not even coaching this year.  Why do you think he can't get a job in the NHL?

I agree with OP.   The Canucks will have to overpay TG to stay with Utica until the Nucks are ready for him.  WD isn't as bad as what people think.  He has a that is fighting injuries on and off the ice and a crew of prospects that should be playing in Utica.

Crawford is coaching "future Canuck" Auston Matthews right now.

First time NHL coaches don't seem to have much success.

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Crawford is coaching "future Canuck" Auston Matthews right now.

First time NHL coaches don't seem to have much success.

Well maybe he'll work his way back to the NHL one day.

As an NHL coach, he managed Col, Van, LA and Dallas.  That's a few chances.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well maybe he'll work his way back to the NHL one day.

As an NHL coach, he managed Col, Van, LA and Dallas.  That's a few chances.

There are probably a couple of coaches ahead of him on most GM's want list, but I liked the offensive entertaining coaching style.

Off the top of my head, both Pat Quinn and Pat Burns coached a lot of teams. Doesn't make them bad coaches. Just have to find the right style for the right team.

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

There are probably a couple of coaches ahead of him on most GM's want list, but I liked the offensive entertaining coaching style.

Off the top of my head, both Pat Quinn and Pat Burns coached a lot of teams. Doesn't make them bad coaches. Just have to find the right style for the right team.

I though you were saying that MC only had 1 chance as an NHL coach. 

He's still young (in terms of coaches), so yeah, he may get back.  We'll see.

Archived