The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demko (Value Disscussion)

Do not trade Demko! If we trade him ill be so freaking mad! At most we get a 1st (15-30) which is not enough. The way I see it is; would you trade Price, Lundqvist, or Quick for a 1st? No not in a million years. Demko is way to good of a prospect to trade. I would say he is our #1 prospect by far. Yes 5 years from now i could be wrong and wish we did trade him for something, but his potential is sky high and in 5 years the whole world could be talking about Demko being the best goalie in the world. Unless we get a bizzare offer like 3 1st round picks than I wouldnt trade him. He was great before the hip surgery and he is 20x better after. We got a gem here and we better not throw him away. He will be our hero when he takes us all the way to the Stanley Cup!

I am predicting a cup in the next 5-6 years with this team:

Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

XXXXX Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Lucic

Grenier Cassels Gaunce

Hutton XXXXX

Edler Tanev

Tryamkin Subban

Demko

XXXXX

Hopefully Brisebois or Subban turn out to be a top Dman to fill that spot. The way this team is shaping out Benning needs to focus on a stud LW and franchise Dman in the next couple of drafts. I really like the way our future looks.

Wow. Some people are seriously overvaluing him right now. He's a very nice prospect. But goaltending prospects generally take a long time to develop. And that development can plateau at any time.  

He's got a couple years of college left before he even plays a single game of professional hockey. I don't see why people need to assign a theoretical value to some players, especially when they're still at least a couple years away from being on the roster. Vancouver is lucky to have him in the system. Can't we just be happy with that for now before we start applying labels like "the best goalie not playing in the NHL"  or a "true foundational player" 

19 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

If we trade Demko I'm hopping of the bandwagon (someone of you may like that)

So, if we traded him for McDavid, you'd still jump? Especially if Markstrom turns it on, and mitigates the need for Demko? Any other factors that might change your decision?

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

So, if we traded him for McDavid, you'd still jump? Especially if Markstrom turns it on, and mitigates the need for Demko? Any other factors that might change your decision?

young goalies just don't get much in trade.  

Its just too hard to judge goalies at such a young age.  Goaltenders don't generally show their potential until atleast age 23-25.  At the age of 18-23, goalie prospects are pretty much a crap shoot, save for a few elite ones.  Great goalies can really come out of any round of a draft be it the 1st or the 6th.  Seeing what all the goalies of last summer's deals went for, I wouldnt expect the value of Demko to be much of anything, save for a mid to late round pick.  

Realistically his value is not very high at the moment.  Young goalies are way to hard to judge potential on, just look at the returns on all the trades for established NHL goalies in the last year,  trading a young goalie who hasnt set foot in the NHL and won't for a few years wouldnt garner much of a return at all, no matter his projected ceiling.  The best value for the Canucks is to hold on to him and develop him, you don't often hear of too many teams taking goalie prospects in trades who are Demko's age.  Goalies don't generally even start to show what they are capable of until 23-24, and crack a roster maybe a year or two after at 25-26 with a few exceptions of course.  Forwards can be judged the earliest for potential, right from 18-22 you can generally see where a forwards career trajectory is heading, of course there are late bloomers, D men are next, generally the top end ones are able to enter the league around 20-22, of course their are the elite exceptions who can break in at 18/19(Ekblad, Doughty etc), and most decent top 4 wont crack a *decent* roster spot on a decent team until 23-24.

I wouldnt imagine anyone would even be looking to trading for Demko, goalies are of course the longest term projects, and can really come from any where in a draft, as, most years you only see 2-3 goalies even selected in the first 2 rounds. 

On 12/31/2015 at 3:50 PM, A NEW BEGINNING said:

Well with Markstrom looking to be NHL ready, and appearing to have the skill to be a starter

I ask you, 2 years after his draft year, what would Thatcher's value be?

Reminder: 2014 - 36 OA

Just want to open it up to discuss

What would his value be? What team might be interested?

I don't mean to start a war here, I am just wondering, if there is increased value in Demko?  We could draft another high end goalie in the early second round.....for the team wanting him, they get him 2 years earlier than if they drafted this year.....maybe it isn't worth the discussion......just thought I would ask!

0...Because he's not for sale. He will be the No. 1 in 3 years and the franchise in 5 years. 

Benning is clearly in the process of turning the Canucks into a defence first type team. Watch him look for defenceman over the next few years and when the Twins go, this team win really settle in on boring, defence-first hockey

While I do agree that goalies are very hard to gauge at 17/18 , each year that they stay consistent from their draft year, they will gain value. Meaning Demo was drafted at 36 OA, and has shown steady improvement at Boston College, and as he grows and gets closer to turning pro, he shows consistency in his development through the years, this moves his value upward

The question is, if Schneider was worth a 9th OA(Horvat) and Demko was worth a 36 OA on draft day, how much does that development move him up the draft rankings (Value).

It is a very small scale when you think of Demko undeveloped to Schneider Starting goalie. Although it could be argued that if Gillis put Schneider up for grabs for anyone, Edmonton offered a 7th OA fro Schnieder, the scale stretches a little more.

The Value of Demko then remains greatest with the club that drafted him (aka Vancouver). But I wonder what his value is worth today.......If another club offered a 20th OA would you trade him? What about a 15th OA, or better yet a 10th OA......where do you think his value lies?

I am not suggesting we trade him unless it was for something incredible, but if the Canucks were sitting with a 3rd OA pick and could get a 1st OA in a trade that includes Demko...would you take it? And it is simply a question!

• 2 weeks later...
On January 8, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

He's untouchable as mentioned. He's posted nothing but phat numbers in college. Looking forward to his success in the A next season.

... What if,.. at the table, Demko helped us get 1st overall 2016?

just sayin ;)

Archived