The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the 2015 trades. Year in review.

homersexual

stav Forsling to Chicago for Adam Clendening. [C-]

Forsling looks pretty good playing for Sweden at the WJC while Clendening is no where to be found (he can actually be found in Pittsburgh's press box). The Canucks are pretty slim on D-men prospect so it would of be nice to have someone that could of potentially quarterback the powerplay.

2015 2nd round (Rasmus Andersson) to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (B+)

Sven has pretty good skills and is a regular 2nd-3rd liner. Good chemistry with Horvat. And he has a good cap hit at $900K.

Eddy Lack to Carolina for 2015 3rd round (Guillaume Brisebois) and 2016 7th round. (C-)

Lack has struggled in Carolina. Brisebois looks pretty solid in the Q and I don't expect a whole lot from the 7th rounder. This trade will take a year or two before we can properly evaluate.

Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim for 2016 2nd round. (B+)

Bieksa didn't have a great year last year and is an aging D-men. While it looks like the Canucks currently miss someone with his toughness and leadership skills, he had to be moved. Good on Benning to get rid of an aging vet for a 2nd rounder. 

Zack Kassian, 2016 5th round to Montreal for Brandon Prust. (B)

Why trade a tough, young skilled power forward AND a draft pick for an older, less skilled, slower player? This is a steal for Benning.

Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2016 2nd round (from the Bieksa trade) to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter, conditional 2016 3rd round (A+)

Now if they can plug the holes on D an shore it up with legitimate NHL top three talent..

** I skipped the minor league trades.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

While I pretty much agree with your analysis, give or take a notch........

I would much prefer to talk about the trades he didn't make.................in order of potential return

Dan Hamhuis

Hamhuis has had a lot of injury time off in the past few years, and had shown early signs of dropping in talent level, but he was still considered a premium dman, and would have brought a handsome reward last year.......If we look back at the trade deadline, some were talking about Edmonton's 2nd 1st rounder 16 OA, as fair compensation......FF to this year and the return will be somewhat different, if at all. For me, and I know it was a lot of us, but the trade should have been made last year.........Letter Grade D

Vrbata 

Vrbata had a career year last year........buy low, sell high.........the return again would have been much easier to opposing GM's to swallow last year...........the return would have equivalent to a 1st rounder, again the same as Hamhuis........Letter Grade F

Miller

As much as I wanted to get rid of Miller, mostly cause I didn't want him in the first place, Benning was right to keep him and for that I have to give him a..................Letter Grade A

Matthais

Another career year player...............to let a buy low, sell high just walk, was just selfish IMO, but once FA, TL, JB decided not to trade Vrbata and Hamhuis, it was understandable that they kept him for the anticipated playoff run.......................Letter Grade C

Richardson

Although Richardson did not have a career year, he is a hard working journeyman, and would have been a good addition to any playoff team.......and a pending UFA, I think he would have had value, possibly a late 3rd rounder, but as with Matthais, after they decided to keep Vrbata, it was better off keeping him at that point......................Letter Grade C

Now many can question the If's and why's, but the returns were there in some shape or form, and should have been made..................IMO, these non-trades, are just as important as the trades Benning did make, and considering where we are right now, we would have been in a much better position for a better returns last year and this year, and much further along in our  rebuild

IMO Benning gets a fail for last years decisions....................Letter Grade D

Pretty much sums up the Canucks trading history (other than a handful of trades the brought us eventual Canuck greats). 

Losing players for nothing to free agency or trading them a year too late when value was lower has been this teams' mantra for a long time. The well run organizations in this this league aren't afraid to make those tough decisions and it's why we are once again in the position of mediocrity we're in and will be in for the next few seasons.

8 hours ago, WTG said:

SUTTER TRADE  D-

I am still not convinced Sutter is even better than Bonino. Maybe he passes the "eye test" but he certainly doesn't beat Bonino at the advanced stats test.

Nick Bonino:

47.71CF%

101.13 PDO

26.04 SCF60

26.23 SCA60

10.0 HSCF60

9.21 HSCA60

40.7% Ozone starts

Brandon Sutter:

49.27 CF%

104.35 PDO

21.33 SCF60

26.23 SCA60

9.8 HSCF60

8.65 HSCA60

49.6% Ozone starts

Forsling trade F

Terrible, whoever pro-scouted Clendenning needs to be fired. I don't even care if it was Benning. We basically gave Chicago the better prospect.

Baertschi trade A

I really, really like this trade. It was a good gamble and really added a good young player with potential to our prospect pool.

Kassian trade C+

I hated this trade at the time. But due after all this abuse stuff surfaced I understood that he needed to go. My only critique is that we gave up a 5th.

Eddie Lack trade D-

Terrible trade, we had the oppertunity to move Miller and we kept the six million dollar overpaid goaltender. The only reason why Lack is having a hard time in Carolina is because their goaltender coach sucks. Anybody that knows anything about goaltenders would agree that getting rid of Lack over Miller is ridiculous.

Don't respond with "mentor" crap either. Miller bullied his backups in Buffalo, the guy does not have a good history of being a "mentor" he is a worse goaltender than Lack.

The way Miller has been playing this year too has been very, very concerning. He's playing way too aggressive and doesn't seem to be taking in Mellansons teachings.

Miller should have been traded over Lack.

Kevin Bieksa trade A+

Fantastic that we got that much for Bieksa. Now if only we can dump Sbisa as well.

Anybody who makes the argument that they're right because they're smart or anybody that makes the argument that they're right because they know hockey/played at a high level should just get auto banned. You're doing nothing to actually support your argument. 

I've liked most of the trades that JB has made.  Some of them are too early to tell how they will pan out.

In retrospect, I can understand the fans that think Richardson and Matthews should have been traded at deadline, but I do recall that the team was in playoff territory.  How can a GM send that kind of message to his team? 

Nobody knew that the Canucks would be 'smacked down' by the Flames.  Most of us thought that was an easy pass to the 2nd round.

The Sutter trade was one I was happiest with. Just from the fact that the Canucks started going downhill shortly after his injury shows how invaluable to the Canucks he is. I can't wait to see him back on the ice again. 

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

The first two trades shouldn't even be rated.

Forsling looks good at the Worlds, but he could very well never see a daylight in the NHL. 

Andersson looks like he's going to be a promising prospect for the Flames, he almost made the Flames' roster out of training camp. Bärtschi has been playing well lately, but he's known to be very streaky player.

I'm not sure he's known as streaky.  I think after he makes adjustments and transitions to new team/league he's a pretty solid, consistent force.  He's just small and it takes him some time to figure out how to be an effective player.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

um if I'm grading the trades of 2015 , first thing I'm looking at is the following season standings.    which would get a grade of a D on a good night.   benning traded kassian for toughness, hows that working for ya.  I think kassian has shown more toughness then prust will for this team.   ya ya kassian had to go me knows. BUT.    Mathias walks with his 18 even strength goals, boninos even strength goals.   to replace those 55 even strength goals benning chose sutter, baerschi and prust to replace those, or was he thinking horvat was gonna get 30..  Poor gamble on bennings part is what I see and the stats would agree.    Best thing for this team right now is Linden putting on a freeze, till deadline, then dump all the 2016 free agents for picks or packaged for young proven nhl d men preferably outa florida.  Tallon just got extended so he wont be our G.M. by draft day, but linden should be shopping

Solid points, but Matthais was going to walk at the end of the year anyways, as Benning had to sign Sbisa and Dorsett to their over valued contracts......

I think Benning has done a fair job on trades he has actually done, but IMO where he hasn't done very well is evaluating the "Real Value" of his Teams last years assets, thereby disabling his ability to make fair judgment on the direction the Canucks should have moved last year

For those that disagree, ask yourselves given what you know today about the Canucks talent level, would it not have been smart of Benning to bite the bullet and Make the tough trades  at last years TD........Having the picks From Hamhuis, Vrbata, Matthais alone would have really given us a huge jump in our teams development......arguably 3-1st round picks at the 2015 or 2016 draft.

That is 3 years forward in our teams development( figuratively speaking )

Couple that with a lower position in this years standings and the possible trading of Edler

And you could possibly be looking at your team prospect cupboard full and ripening

As we see now, we could easily have replaced some of the suggested trades easily enough.....

Hind sight for CDC...........but Benning gets paid big bucks to know this in advance of us...................Letter Grade  D no F

2 hours ago, c00kies said:

It's Forsling :P

May as well combine the first and last names. More efficient that way. 

"Alurrows rushes up the wall, passes back to Hedin...saucer to Dedin...he scores!!!"

17 hours ago, homersexual said:

Gustav Forsling to Chicago for Adam Clendening. (C)

Forsling looks pretty good playing for Sweden at the WJC while Clendening is no where to be found (he can actually be found in Pittsburgh's press box). The Canucks are pretty slim on D-men prospect so it would have be nice to have someone that could of potentially quarterback the powerplay.

2015 2nd round (Rasmus Andersson) to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (A)

Sven has pretty good skills and is a regular 2nd-3rd liner. Good chemistry with Horvat. And he has a good cap hit at $900K.

Eddy Lack to Carolina for 2015 3rd round (Guillaume Brisebois) and 2016 7th round. (C+)

Lack has struggled in Carolina. Brisebois looks pretty solid in the Q and I don't expect a whole lot from the 7th rounder. This trade will take a year or two before we can properly evaluate.

Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim for 2016 2nd round. (B+)

Bieksa didn't have a great year last year and is an aging D-men. While it looks like the Canucks currently miss someone with his toughness and leadership skills, he had to be moved. Good on Benning to get rid of an aging vet for a 2nd rounder. 

Zack Kassian, 2016 5th round to Montreal for Brandon Prust. (A)

Why trade a tough, young skilled power forward AND a draft pick for an older, less skilled, slower player? This is a steal for Benning.

Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2016 2nd round (from the Bieksa trade) to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter, conditional 2016 3rd round (B+)

Sutter has been good defensively and even played on the wing with the Sedins allowing McCann to get into the lineup. Bonino has struggled in Pittsburgh with only 9 pts in 35 games.

** I skipped the minor league trades.

Gustav is Vataneen so F, Sven is going to be a 60pt-70pt guy in the NHL so A, Brisebois could be a 4th in the NHL so B, Bieksa was done 3 years ago and considering where Ana. would be picking this year A+, Kass will get his #278 together so it depends what JB can get for Prust at the trade deadline and I have a funny feeling Prust might be in high demand so possible C+ to a B and finally the big deal for Sutter which is in essence Kesler, Forsling, Bieksa for Sutter, Sbisa, McCann and a 2016 3rd. for an A.

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

Re - Signing Weber...F (there is no rating for this one).

Overall, I think Benning has done well, even though it's taken time for the results to become clear. The Weber signing is puzzling....F-. Any of Stanton, Clendening, Corrado or other FA probably would have been better. The only dimension he brings is a PP shot, but our PP sucks, so there is no point.

14 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Overall, I think Benning has done well, even though it's taken time for the results to become clear. The Weber signing is puzzling....F-. Any of Stanton, Clendening, Corrado or other FA probably would have been better. The only dimension he brings is a PP shot, but our PP sucks, so there is no point.

I don't think it was puzzling at all at the time considering Weber had 11 goals last year

I'm personally extremely disappointed in the Forsling trade, that's the one that sticks out for me. 

Indeed, Forsling may never make it to the NHL but you have to keep in mind that we traded him for an NHL tweener in Clendening who has absolutely no outstanding facet to his game. 

Whoever pushed for this trade must seriously reconsider what they do for a living. I see a severe lack of ambition in this trade.

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Anybody who makes the argument that they're right because they're smart or anybody that makes the argument that they're right because they know hockey/played at a high level should just get auto banned. You're doing nothing to actually support your argument. 

Watch Miller play. He's playing like it's the 1990s. The guy is allover the place in his crease. Plays pucks way too aggressively, doesn't control his rebounds.

Miller will make 1 great save then give up a juicy rebound and get caught out in no-man's land. The guy has been terrible on a technical standpoint. Seems like he is completely ignoring our goalie coach and just going back to his old style without much guidance.

It shows in his save percentage too, he's not very good. A bottom 5 starter in the league.

Archived