The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the 2015 trades. Year in review.

homersexual

benning has done a great job with his trades in 2015. even in his short stint he has drafted some great young players. he just has to manage his assets accordingly at the trade deadline and he has to get an A from most canucks fans overall as his tenure as our GM

Just now, billabong said:

benning has done a great job with his trades in 2015. even in his short stint he has drafted some great young players. he just has to manage his assets accordingly at the trade deadline and he has to get an A from most canucks fans overall as his tenure as our GM

Who do we have for prospects that are great?  IMHAO we don't have even one elite offensive level prospect. 

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Anderson is playing amazingly right now in junior and he nearly made the Calgary roster straight away, they love him. I honestly think he'll end up being a better player than Baertschi but it's hard to compare a young defenceman to a forward. 

If Anderson does become a good player for the Flames..hats off to the Flames scouting department for selecting him (doesn't mean that the the Canucks would have selected him,.. if they had retained the pick).

I still think that taking a chance on Baertschi with the 53rd overall pick was a risk worth taking...It would be interesting to see on average,how many players taken 53rd overall make an NHL career.

6 hours ago, Grape said:

I don't think it was puzzling at all at the time considering Weber had 11 goals last year

Did you see Weber get man handled in the playoffs against Calgary...Higgins, Vrbata and Burrows (fight against Russell exception) were no shows in the playoffs...these are signs that as a GM has to pay attention to...

If he doesn't, then he will only get the same Shiit but different pile

On January 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Pete M said:

Keeping Higgins, Burrows, Hanhuis...F

Man, if I could + infinity this I would! Darnit, too true.  There was a post earlier about grading the moves Benning didn't make that these two guys should be added to. 

On January 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM, WTG said:

Watch Miller play. He's playing like it's the 1990s. The guy is allover the place in his crease. Plays pucks way too aggressively, doesn't control his rebounds.

Miller will make 1 great save then give up a juicy rebound and get caught out in no-man's land. The guy has been terrible on a technical standpoint. Seems like he is completely ignoring our goalie coach and just going back to his old style without much guidance.

It shows in his save percentage too, he's not very good. A bottom 5 starter in the league.

And then he'll stare at whichever defenceman is standing in his way impeding his ability to move to the rebound, or has screened him in a pathetic attempt to block a shot, *ahem Edler* or *cough Weber*.

Gustav Forsling to Chicago for Adam Clendening. (C)

No apparent winner in this trade.

2015 2nd round (Rasmus Andersson) to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (B)

If Sven stays in the NHL as a top 6 this is a big win.  As of right now he's not suited for 4th or checking line and not good enough to be on a good 2nd line. 

Eddy Lack to Carolina for 2015 3rd round (Guillaume Brisebois) and 2016 7th round. (D)

Considering we had Luongo, Schneider and Lack not too long ago.  Everything we've done with our goalies to end up with $6million Miller and Markstrom is a total fail.

Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim for 2016 2nd round. (A)

Bieksa is one of my fav Canucks of all time but this is the type of trade that needed to be made last year.

Zack Kassian, 2016 5th round to Montreal for Brandon Prust. (C-)

Now knowing what was going on behind the scenes, this gets upgraded from an F.  Still, gave up Kassian and a pick for an old rental.

Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2016 2nd round (from the Bieksa trade) to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter, conditional 2016 3rd round (D)

It's up in the air how much, if at all, Sutter is better than Bonino.  He got way overpaid as soon as we got him.  Gave up a 2nd!?!?  I thought we were retooling.. or rebuilding.. or re-something?  Awwwful move. 

2nd rounder for Vey (F)

2nd rounder to a divisional rival that's already better than us for a guy that can't make our lineup.  Awesome

On January 1, 2016 at 0:41 AM, WTG said:

SUTTER TRADE  D-

I am still not convinced Sutter is even better than Bonino. Maybe he passes the "eye test" but he certainly doesn't beat Bonino at the advanced stats test

Forsling trade F

Baertschi trade A

Kassian trade C

Eddie Lack trade D-

Kevin Bieksa trade A+

First of all. Advanced stats are for nerds who know nothing about hockey.                                    Suter is far better than Bonino. 

Forsling trade.     Chances are he won't even see the NHL.    Who really cares.  

Baertschi trade.    I agree with you.   Let's hope he keeps getting better. 

Kassian trade.    We traded a low pick for Prust.  Kass doesn't have a career currently.  We win hands down. 

Lack trade.    Have you seen him play this year?  He sucks the big one.  Sure he is a great guy with a great personality, but a smile doesn't win you games.  I take the picks over Eddie.   And Markstrom is proving to be the real deal. 

Bieksa trade.     Just happy we got that much for him.  

On 01/01/2016 at 9:16 PM, homersexual said:

Forsling looks pretty good playing for Sweden at the WJC while Clendening is no where to be found (he can actually be found in Pittsburgh's press box). The Canucks are pretty slim on D-men prospect so it would have be nice to have someone that could of potentially quarterback the powerplay.

2015 2nd round (Rasmus Andersson) to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (A)

Sven has pretty good skills and is a regular 2nd-3rd liner. Good chemistry with Horvat. And he has a good cap hit at $900K.

Eddy Lack to Carolina for 2015 3rd round (Guillaume Brisebois) and 2016 7th round. (C+)

Lack has struggled in Carolina. Brisebois looks pretty solid in the Q and I don't expect a whole lot from the 7th rounder. This trade will take a year or two before we can properly evaluate.

Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim for 2016 2nd round. (B+)

Bieksa didn't have a great year last year and is an aging D-men. While it looks like the Canucks currently miss someone with his toughness and leadership skills, he had to be moved. Good on Benning to get rid of an aging vet for a 2nd rounder. 

Zack Kassian, 2016 5th round to Montreal for Brandon Prust. (A)

Why trade a tough, young skilled power forward AND a draft pick for an older, less skilled, slower player? This is a steal for Benning.

Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2016 2nd round (from the Bieksa trade) to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter, conditional 2016 3rd round (B+)

Sutter has been good defensively and even played on the wing with the Sedins allowing McCann to get into the lineup. Bonino has struggled in Pittsburgh with only 9 pts in 35 games.

** I skipped the minor league trades.

After reading the title of this thread I totally thought it was going to be a thinly disguised bash Benning thread. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find an unbiased summary of the trades of 2015. What a revelation! 

Thanks homersexual! You are truly one of the good ones!

Davydgoliath

I'm not crazy about Benning's tendency to overpay with draft picks. 

Penguins needed Bonino's cap friendly contract and knew that Sutter would ask for a raise next year. Did they really need both Clendening and a second round pick to make that deal work? 

Did the same thing to acquire Pedan. The Islanders are stacked with D prospects and not many at centre, was throwing a third round pick really necessary?

Just not the shrewdest trades, especially for a guy that claims to love draft picks. 

1 minute ago, RyIe said:

I'm not crazy about Benning's tendency to overpay with draft picks. 

Penguins needed Bonino's cap friendly contract and knew that Sutter would ask for a raise next year. Did they really need both Clendening and a second round pick to make that deal work? 

Did the same thing to acquire Pedan. The Islanders are stacked with D prospects and not many at centre, was throwing a third round pick really necessary?

Just not the shrewdest trades, especially for a guy that claims to love draft picks. 

Benning's trades don't really seem to follow a particular formula. And the inclusion of what seems like unnecessary draft picks is alarming.

Oh well, he's a second year GM. I am personally going to reserve judgment until the dust settles this summer. After Benning has completed all trades and FA acquisitions, a clearer picture will emerge of his long term vision for the team, and in turn, his own capability to make it happen.

On 1/1/2016 at 9:16 PM, homersexual said:

Forsling looks pretty good playing for Sweden at the WJC while Clendening is no where to be found (he can actually be found in Pittsburgh's press box). The Canucks are pretty slim on D-men prospect so it would have be nice to have someone that could of potentially quarterback the powerplay.

2015 2nd round (Rasmus Andersson) to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (A)

Sven has pretty good skills and is a regular 2nd-3rd liner. Good chemistry with Horvat. And he has a good cap hit at $900K.

Eddy Lack to Carolina for 2015 3rd round (Guillaume Brisebois) and 2016 7th round. (C+)

Lack has struggled in Carolina. Brisebois looks pretty solid in the Q and I don't expect a whole lot from the 7th rounder. This trade will take a year or two before we can properly evaluate.

Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim for 2016 2nd round. (B+)

Bieksa didn't have a great year last year and is an aging D-men. While it looks like the Canucks currently miss someone with his toughness and leadership skills, he had to be moved. Good on Benning to get rid of an aging vet for a 2nd rounder. 

Zack Kassian, 2016 5th round to Montreal for Brandon Prust. (A)

Why trade a tough, young skilled power forward AND a draft pick for an older, less skilled, slower player? This is a steal for Benning.

Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, 2016 2nd round (from the Bieksa trade) to Pittsburgh for Brandon Sutter, conditional 2016 3rd round (B+)

Sutter has been good defensively and even played on the wing with the Sedins allowing McCann to get into the lineup. Bonino has struggled in Pittsburgh with only 9 pts in 35 games.

** I skipped the minor league trades.

Agree with all except for Lack to Carolina.

Lack to Carolina for 3rd. (B)

Initially, C+ as you said but with the emergence of Markstrom, I think we can grade this as B. I think Lack would have cost the team too much money beyond this season anyways and keeping him would not have allowed us to keep Markstrom. Clearly, trading Miller was not an option that JB tendered so it was either Markstrom or Lack and I think it was a good choice to go with Markstrom.

Although most of the trades worked out to be not as bad as initially thought, JB's ultimate challenge will be on how he upgrades the defence. None of these trades upgraded our defence, if not weakened it by trading away Forsling and then, Clendening as well as losing Corrado for nothing.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning's trades don't really seem to follow a particular formula. And the inclusion of what seems like unnecessary draft picks is alarming.

Oh well, he's a second year GM. I am personally going to reserve judgment until the dust settles this summer. After Benning has completed all trades and FA acquisitions, a clearer picture will emerge of his long term vision for the team, and in turn, his own capability to make it happen.

Yea, I don't think its fair to judge the guy's longer term vision until year 4-5, when more of his picks can graduate to the NHL. But if I had to guess, his trade strategy seems like a means to keep the team competitive until then because he seems confident, overly so IMO, that he can build a winning team by getting some late round gems. When he and Linden said that they expected about 4-5 of their picks in the 2015 draft to make it to the NHL at some point I just chuckled. 

Im terms of cup winning teams, I consider the Bruins to be somewhat of an aberration. They certainly lucked out with having Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, and Krejci become better players then their draft position suggests. It's still weird that Benning has traded away 3 second round picks. I know it's hindsight but watching team USA, I just face palm knowing that we have Vey and not Christian Dvorak. 

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree with all except for Lack to Carolina.

Lack to Carolina for 3rd. (B)

Initially, C+ as you said but with the emergence of Markstrom, I think we can grade this as B. I think Lack would have cost the team too much money beyond this season anyways and keeping him would not have allowed us to keep Markstrom. Clearly, trading Miller was not an option that JB tendered so it was either Markstrom or Lack and I think it was a good choice to go with Markstrom.

Although most of the trades worked out to be not as bad as initially thought, JB's ultimate challenge will be on how he upgrades the defence. None of these trades upgraded our defence, if not weakened it by trading away Forsling and then, Clendening as well as losing Corrado for nothing.

Unless Lack managed to put up insane numerous this season, I don't see how his salary could have gone beyond 4.5 mil, and after this season, I see Markstrom getting a slight raise on a bridge contract. Combined they both probably would have equalled the same as Miller and Markstrom right now. 

If we believe Benning was telling the truth about there being potential offers for Miller, it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't have fetched at least a second round pick, or at least something better than what Lack got. Brisebois is an interesting prospect, but not as exciting as Brandon Carlo, Jeremy Roy or Oliver Kylington. Just knowing that there might have been a slight possibility at any one of those guys, makes the Lack trade hard to grade over a C, wasn't bad but wasn't good either. 

I'd prefer to take a look at the whole picture.

(Clendening + Bonino) - Forsling = Sutter (A)

Sutter is a potential 1000 game player in the NHL, that is, a mainstay on an NHL team, heads and tails the best player involved in this deal. Bonino looks like he may be playing in Europe sooner than later, Clendening will likely never be a full time NHL'er.

For those bemoaning the trading of Forsling because he is so good in the WJHC, I suppose this remains to be proven but for now, former WJHC stars CoHo and Schroeder say hi from the press box where they have fully parked their careers.

Archived