The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious case of scratching Andrey Pedan.

Positive Canuck

Poll : Why is Pedan scratched tonite ?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tryamkin and Pedan are our next D I hope , can use the size, youth, and skills; Pedan has a hard shot, maybe train for the pp.

Not impressed with Bartkowski, he must be just a fill in

I guess Weber has a faster shot than Edler.

Fedun made a nice pass to Horvat for a goal last game against the Canes.

This is a knowledge packed forum, happy to be here, this place is like University compared to Sportsnet commentary:ph34r:

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

I wasn't going to respond because all I'm doing is speculating, but since nobody has jumped in with anything definite, I'd speculate that Pedan was sent down to get more playing time in Utica.  It seems very likely he's pencilled in to start with the Canucks next season and they considered getting him playing time in Utica better for his development than continuing to sit in the pressbox with the Canucks.

Fedun is 27, he's been around a little longer and either Canucks didn't actually expect to play him or they figured he'd be an acceptable replacement until Sbisa returns.  I think the Canucks see Fedun as an AHL regular and NHL injury fillin, so if he sits in the pressbox or ends up with limited playing time it isn't important to the Canucks long term plans.

I don't think it means Pedan is worse than Biega, Bartkowski, Weber and Fedun, just that he's not so good that he's going to play every night with the Canucks and that he's a young guy developing who needs to play.  There's nothing wrong with being in Vancouver playing semi-regularly (like McCann is these days) but sitting out most of the time for an extended period can't be helpful.

Great post and yes, this is very likely what is going on.  I'm with those who want to see more of Pedan, but I'm happy to wait until next year when hopefully he's somewhat sheltered by more experienced and competent players than the D we've got now.  Until then, more ice time in Utica will be better for his development.  I think he showed enough in the few games he had that he is indeed pencilled-in for next year.  This guy has the tools to be a special player, so I'm okay with developing him carefully. 

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well, WD just played Fedun over Pedan while Pedan was up mainly watching games in the press box. 

I thought his defensive play was a little suspect and maybe WD did as well. 

Is Pedan worse than Biega, Barthowski, Weber and Fedun? 

Or do they play different roles and fill different needs? 

Bartkowski, Weber, and Fedun all shoot right. Pedan is bigger and stronger than Biega, but he is not better defensively. It would have been too much to expect Pedan to play on his wrong side merely to get ice-time. If he were to slot in, Biega or Hutton would have had to come out or play on their wrong side in place of Weber or Bartkowski. That's the reason he saw limited playing time.

He got to practice with the team and work with the our skills and conditioning coaches. I'm sure he was given a detailed plan on what parts of his game to work on before he was sent back down. He'll be a better player for it. I'm sure he doesn't feel as sorry for himself as many fans seem to be on his behalf.

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Bartkowski, Weber, and Fedun all shoot right. Pedan is bigger and stronger than Biega, but he is not better defensively. It would have been too much to expect Pedan to play on his wrong side merely to get ice-time. If he were to slot in, Biega or Hutton would have had to come out or play on their wrong side in place of Weber or Bartkowski. That's the reason he saw limited playing time.

He got to practice with the team and work with the our skills and conditioning coaches. I'm sure he was given a detailed plan on what parts of his game to work on before he was sent back down. He'll be a better player for it. I'm sure he doesn't feel as sorry for himself as many fans seem to be on his behalf.

Ok but you are really not helping the "Willie is an idiot" campaign with sensible suggestions like that. Your name has been noted by the fire Willie cult. :o 

33 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Thanks for your insightful post. This is exactly the kind of question I was asking and answer I was hoping for. 

14 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Ok but you are really not helping the "Willie is an idiot" campaign with sensible suggestions like that. Your name has been noted by the fire Willie cult. :o 

Or you are further perpetuating the stupidity that sometimes goes on this forum with senseless comments. 

I'm thinking management need to take a look at Fedun and make a comparison to others Weber, Hamhuis, Biega, Pedan (RFA) and Bartkowski....all UFA's at seasons end. If they're serious about Fedun he has to be looked at in that context. He'll likely cost the minimum

On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 at 7:42 PM, coastal1 said:
20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm thinking management need to take a look at Fedun and make a comparison to others Weber, Hamhuis, Biega, Pedan (RFA) and Bartkowski....all UFA's at seasons end. If they're serious about Fedun he has to be looked at in that context. He'll likely cost the minimum

So now WD, JB and Trevor are insulting you! It's getting better. Not only do you know more about hockey and the NHL specifically then them, not only are they stupid, but now they are insulting you! For your information, Weber is NOT an NHLer who has played 260 games in the NHL. Pedan has played a grand total of 3 games in the NHL.

On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 at 8:00 PM, coastal1 said:

Now that is a better question. Weber is very mobile, has great hockey sense and a good shot. Of course he has shortcomings, but he is currently the best option for the Canucks as a 5- 6 defenceman. Certainly better than Pedan, for example. In a few years, that may change, but right now, no comparison.

Archived