The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious case of scratching Andrey Pedan.

Positive Canuck

Poll : Why is Pedan scratched tonite ?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Great comparison....

Fight in NHL = 5 min penalty

Fight in MLB = Suspension, Fine for both player and team

It's a penalized play but is and always will be a part of the game. 

I used the NLL as an example because it applies the same way.  

it's still penalized, so it's not allowed.  To suggest it's allowed is wrong.  Stating it needs to be discouraged through harsher penalties is more accurate.  IMHAO

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Obviously it's not related to Pedan.  It's about McCann, Hutton and Virtanen and the reason why Vey is hanging around as an extra forward.

It probably relates to Pedan too, as he tends to tire quickly.  He needs to keep his skating up or he'll be walked consistently.

Net presence or not, the guy is going to have to skate at an NHL level to succeed.

Benning acquired him because of the severe lack of similar-age defense prospects available to him. and in NYI he was more than expendable.

51 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Could you name any other sport where bare knuckle fighting is allowed?

Don't like it. Don't watch.  It's been s part of hockey at nearly every level.

try to keep in mind this sport originally was played by farm boys from large families on frozen ponds.....and still is.

1 hour ago, BanTSN said:

It was also curious to dump Tom Sestito.

No, actually it wasn't.  I'm not sure what else people are expecting from Pedan, but the NHL is heading away from fighting in general.  It's leading to too many concussions and suicides and that is bad for business.

Tom Sestito couldn't play hockey to save his life. He was terrible. All he knew how to do was fight, and nothing else. On top of that, he refused to try and change his game. Pedan can actually play hockey. He was pretty decent in the two games on D he's played, compared with Weber who was not. Anaheim is also a very physical team. Why he was scratched for Weber is baffling. 

It's a bit frustrating because in a recent post-practice WillieD said that adversity has opened up opportunities for Baertschi, Biega and Pedan and that it should speed up their development: "Without this adversity these guys don't get a chance so sometimes adversity can help".

So my guesses:

Timing of the Nolan fight was not ideal.  The 2nd line was all around Quick and the fight broke loose so the play got whistled down just when the puck was on the side of the net with the Canucks first on it - not saying anything could have come out of it.  Not the first coach to bench a rookie for picking a fight at the wrong time.

At the end of last game - WillieD made the comment that Biega/Baertschi were playing hard and implying that a few others weren't.  I would guess that he spoke to the players who weren't and is offering them the opportunity to respond.  The dynamics with vets are just different than with a rookie.  It shouldn't be but it is.  Pedan is also only a call-up and not one of the regular 23 so he's probably seen more as an injury filler than someone that is going to challenge for a regular spot.  

There aren't enough experienced vets to oversee the rookie players - Biega can even be considered one himself at the NHL level.  Bartkowski or Weber can't cover for Pedan who is much more raw than Hutton and breaking up Tanev/Edler makes no sense.  So Pedan being the odd man out is not that surprising after all.

WD has always played safe as safe can be. That's why Higgins gets top 6 minutes and PP time every now and again. Higgins will never make terrible mistakes on the defensive side of the puck. Its the same logic that has Pedan sitting out against a team that is going to be able to run around with impunity. I honestly and truly feel sorry for the Sedins having to step over the boards knowing that other plays are going to violently target them with no reprecussions. And by violent, I don't just mean physical, I mean the hits will come with bad intentions. Few star players have ever been as unprotected as the Sedins with this current lineup.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

It's a bit frustrating because in a recent post-practice WillieD said that adversity has opened up opportunities for Baertschi, Biega and Pedan and that it should speed up their development: "Without this adversity these guys don't get a chance so sometimes adversity can help".

So my guesses:

Timing of the Nolan fight was not ideal.  The 2nd line was all around Quick and the fight broke loose so the play got whistled down just when the puck was on the side of the net with the Canucks first on it - not saying anything could have come out of it.  Not the first coach to bench a rookie for picking a fight at the wrong time.

At the end of last game - WillieD made the comment that Biega/Baertschi were playing hard and implying that a few others weren't.  I would guess that he spoke to the players who weren't and is offering them the opportunity to respond.  The dynamics with vets are just different than with a rookie.  It shouldn't be but it is.  Pedan is also only a call-up and not one of the regular 23 so he's probably seen more as an injury filler than someone that is going to challenge for a regular spot.  

There aren't enough experienced vets to oversee the rookie players - Biega can even be considered one himself at the NHL level.  Bartkowski or Weber can't cover for Pedan who is much more raw than Hutton and breaking up Tanev/Edler makes no sense.  So Pedan being the odd man out is not that surprising after all.

Sensible post.

but imho, anytime is the right time to beat on Nolan.  Best before he runs a sedin.

Put me in the done with Willie crowd. I think Pedan may be the type of rookie defenceman who will benefit from learning on the job. We can debate whether his development is better served in the AHL vs the NHL. Copared to Weber my vote is to play Pedan. 

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Don't like it. Don't watch.  It's been s part of hockey at nearly every level.

try to keep in mind this sport originally was played by farm boys from large families on frozen ponds.....and still is.

LOL. Armies also used to line up like idiot's and fight battles of attrition. How it was means nothing. I don't think you will like enjoy hockey in 5-10 years. Whether you like it or not its changing. 

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Toronto admitted "expect some pain".  Benning/Linden have been very blunt that they want to rebuild while staying in the playoffs.  They traded away 2nd rounders for Vey/Baertchi to get NHL ready players into the lineup.  Traded another pick for old man Prust.  You don't do those things if you're tanking. 

I never said they were trying to tank. They had no cap space to do anything else. That is why they only gave them one year deals. Next year they will have some cash and at this point the UFA market looks stronger. That is one reason why I want a good draft pick this year because if they sign a couple of decent defenseman then we will be more competitive next year. Take the best pick we can get this year. 

23 minutes ago, Fizzure said:

I think Edler is a gentle giant. I think he feels bad when he levels someone. 

And when was the last time he did that?  Hitting used to be a big part of Edler's game.  It seems to have disappeared.  Nice to see our focus on "puck moving defensemen" rather than "player moving defensemen" isn't it? 

Bartkowski claimed he was a healthy scratch a lot last year because he somehow got in the coach's dog house.  Funny how coach's tend to scratch players who suck.

2 hours ago, BanTSN said:

It was also curious to dump Tom Sestito.

No, actually it wasn't.  I'm not sure what else people are expecting from Pedan, but the NHL is heading away from fighting in general.  It's leading to too many concussions and suicides and that is bad for business.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting Pedan is primarily a fighter but i was at both games he's played this year as  Dman (and apologies if that wasn't the intent of your commnet), but he is going to be an EXECELLENT stay at home dman for this team. I would say easy 5/6 and could push 3/4.

His skating is strong (and not just for a big man), as his lateral mobility is excellent, which is really the key on defence, the ability to go from offense to defense quickly and to turn / rotate efficiently - this is why scouts often talk about 'good hips' vs 'tight hips' ...Tight suggests the inability to turn/move laterally very quickly - he does not have that issue (and typically many big players do).

As another poster mentioned, his ability to time hits and PUNISH is also very good. This is a great toolkit and something this team is desperately missing. As for his fighting ability, you show you can dummy a few guys and all of a sudden the threat is enough. Not saying he's chara but you see how people respect his toughness even though he barely fights anymore....once you've established yourself as a physical threat, few guys want to test it for fun.

Agree with you on fighting to some extent but there really there is no need to remove it from the game if the NHL finds a way to remove 'staged' fights. The 4th liners at a face off 'chatting' then dropping them at the puck drop when the game has barely even begun needs to go. It does nothing and is pointless, other than those 4th liners wanting to show their GM's 'hey you still need us'. I have no issue with fights that start from dirty plays (aka Marchand submarines someone, Keith Elbows a guy in the face) but staged needs to be removed.

Just now, dorrcoq said:

And when was the last time he did that?  Hitting used to be a big part of Edler's game.  It seems to have disappeared.  Nice to see our focus on "puck moving defensemen" rather than "player moving defensemen" isn't it? 

Bartkowski claimed he was a healthy scratch a lot last year because he somehow got in the coach's dog house.  Funny how coach's tend to scratch players who suck.

I dunno. I don't have answers for you. Are you asking me to guess. Edler has gone Ninja? It's so rare that Eddy crushes anyone that it's actually a lethal weapon he can unleash at any moment without anyone expecting it. 

Puck moving defencman. Don't make me laugh. Hard to move the puck up the ice when you cant contain the opposition. When you get scored on you know the ref actually brings the puck back to center ice.

Archived