The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious case of scratching Andrey Pedan.

Positive Canuck

Poll : Why is Pedan scratched tonite ?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tanev's back, but I'd much rather Pedan than Weber

Edler - Tanev

Bartkowski - Biega

Hutton - Weber

I guess he doesn't want Hutton and Pedan together, fair enough.

Why don't you apply for the GM job since it is obvious that you think you know more than the coach hired by the current GM. Just curious, how many games have you coached at say the WHL and higher level?

4 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Why are you guys so worried about toughness?  I heard that Darcy Rota and Stan Smyl were giving Weber boxing lessons this morning right behind the cotton candy machine in the basement.  Weber is going to wreck Getzlaf in semin like fashion tonight....

Dont worry...Webers got this if it gets ugly..

Seemed to work tonight. No one dared to fight Weber, he was so intimidating. 

14 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Why don't you apply for the GM job since it is obvious that you think you know more than the coach hired by the current GM. Just curious, how many games have you coached at say the WHL and higher level?

I love you types. Add no substance to the discussion. The type to call people whiners for having an opinion even though you don't do anything other that whine about peoples opinions. If you don't like discussion then don't come here. Go start a WD is my hero fansite.

The person is a fan. That's what the forums are for. Every one is entitled to their opinion. The self righteousness of certain people around here is a joke.

Should have an agree with the coach choice,

As much as I like Pedan, I actually think it is a good idea to sit him on this game.. Kesler, Bieksa, coming back with Getzlaf and Perry, you would want to grab some experience as much as you can. Pedan sitting in the box and absorbing the game is not necessarily a bad thing. I might develope a problem if this is a common theme but this is the first for Pedan. McCann, Virtanen, Sven, Kennins, Gaunce, Shink all sat so why not Pedan?

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

Should have an agree with the coach choice,

As much as I like Pedan, I actually think it is a good idea to sit him on this game.. Kesler, Bieksa, coming back with Getzlaf and Perry, you would want to grab some experience as much as you can. Pedan sitting in the box and absorbing the game is not necessarily a bad thing. I might develope a problem if this is a common theme but this is the first for Pedan. McCann, Virtanen, Sven, Kennins, Gaunce, Shink all sat so why not Pedan?

Make that two that agree, though my reasons are different.

Pedan was brought up to fill in for an injury.  In that capacity he played limited minutes, mostly sheltered, and did just fine.

He got in two games in a row and according to WD did well while making quite a few mistakes.  It doesn't do Pedan any harm to sit a game, nor to go back to Utica, for that matter.

I have expressed it before, but think it unreasonable to expect that guys who are called up to be depth on the roster due to injuries should play ahead of the team's regulars. 

I'm happy Pedan did well and was happy that he played against the Kings, a dirtier team imo than the Ducks.  But I"m fine with the fill-in being the depth player, while looking forward to seeing him with the Canucks next season.

Also note, folks, playing Bart and Weber didn't cost the Canucks the game.

23 minutes ago, Fizzure said:

I love you types. Add no substance to the discussion. The type to call people whiners for having an opinion even though you don't do anything other that whine about peoples opinions. If you don't like discussion then don't come here. Go start a WD is my hero fansite.

I have to say in his defence, some opinions just beg for it though. :P

Some days on here it's like kindergarten hockey and only those with 2 braincells need apply.

22 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

The person is a fan. That's what the forums are for. Every one is entitled to their opinion. The self righteousness of certain people around here is a joke.

Yeah it's funny how certain people flog that defence. Personally I would rather be self righteous than an idiot but time fixes most things.

I think what's frustrating me a bit is people allude to only two types of personalities on here. One is a supposed group of true fans who question nothing, the other being, POS tank whiner complainer's. And nothing in between? People need to relax a bit. 

14 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I have to say in his defence, some opinions just beg for it though. :P

Some days on here it's like kindergarten hockey and only those with 2 braincells need apply.

Oh for sure. I don't think though that what DownUnda said was such a post. I would prefer Pedan of Weber is a fair statement that many on here agree with.

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Yeah it's funny how certain people flog that defence. Personally I would rather be self righteous than an idiot but time fixes most things.

Well there's plenty of self righteous idiots that think they're right too that garner little or no respect from others.

Tanev was questionable to play yesterday and Willie thought that Weber would be the best insurance policy if Tanev wasn't able to play the full game. Willie wants to ease Pedan into more playing time and if Tanev wasn't able to play the full the game then Pedan would have been thrown into more minutes than Willie feels comfortable or it would have caused more strain on the other defencemen who would have to cover Tanev's minutes.

Is Weber a good defencemen? Not really but Willie know what Weber can do and what to expect. Willie likes to ease in the younger players and he thought it was premature to scratch Weber over Pedan at the moment.

1 hour ago, Fizzure said:

Fair enough but then do not offer "WD doesn't have a clue" as an option in the poll that accompnies the discussion, that is just plain disrespectful. Trevor, JB and WD combined know more about hockey then anyone in this market. IF you do not agree with that, then you are delusional. So, a fan can say, I don't understand their decision not to play a slow, awkward, inexperienced defenceman in a  key divisional game, totally fair, and other fans can speculate on why they would make such a seemingly odd decision. Maybe they just felt that they needed someone who is a NHL-ready to play in that game, I don't know??  maybe they wanted someone that they could play more than 11 minutes? There are many possible reasons. I can guarantee that one of them is NOT that WD doesn't have a clue.

Well if it makes you feel better, I haven't voted. I don't like any of the options. Im one of the middle ground guys. Id rather Pedan was playing because he brings something we don't have alot of at this moment. It probably was the right call though. Weber still sucks though and I'm not trying to be rude. I fail to see this supposed offensive upside sitting at 4 assists in 30 games. He also has the worst plus/minus of all our defensmen so im not sure hes even dependable. Its not his fault though hes being played way too much. Im not worried too much though. Once Pizza and Hammer get back I think we've seen the last of him barring more injuries. Pedan will go back and get the valuable experience he needs. 

Now if we get all our D back and Weber is still playing and god forbid, getting a tonne of ice time, then we'll know WD is a bit nuts. I dont think anyone here, Willie fan or otherwise, can deny with a healthy lineup our 6 D men should be as follows.

Tanev - Edler

Hutton - Hammer

Beiga - Sbisa

Bart/Weber

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

Maybe they just felt that they needed someone who is a NHL-ready to play in that game, I don't know??  maybe they wanted someone that they could play more than 11 minutes?

That doesn't explain them playing Weber, who does not come close to resembling even a borderline NHLer.  Any coach who actually thinks playing that pylon has no business coaching at the NHL level and should be drug tested.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That doesn't explain them playing Weber, who does not come close to resembling even a borderline NHLer.  Any coach who actually thinks playing that pylon has no business coaching at the NHL level and should be drug tested.

Including Jacques Martin and John Tortorella ? Lets not get carried away here, Weber's having a horrible year but his 250+ games of NHL experience would suggest he's not as bad as some on here are making him out to be. 

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That's the kind of insult that, in my opinion, has no place on this website. Of course you know one coach that plays Weber, and you know the GM and that hired him in collaboration with the team president. So, saying that WD is a drug addict is totally disrespectful to Trevor and JB. I am curious to know how many games you have played in the NHL, compared to Trevor and JB, and what else besidea\s your NHL experience makes you so much smarter about hockey then them.

Archived