The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captain John Scott

If the NHL can make money off of something, especially a widely televised event. Then they shall. There's a lot of marketing/advertising, merchandising, promotions, etc. Just like any other NHL game, but goofier.

I don't understand why people take the All-star game so seriously, especially since almost everyone is like "it's been a joke now it's even MORE of a joke!"

Who cares, especially if it was already a joke anyway? I personally found the Scott thing amusing and it sounds like some people might watch because of him. Plus, there's a good chance the NHL will end the fan voting system after this season due to this, so it's win-win.

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That clown bettman is probably crying now that I'm an all star game captain but it's about damn time John Scott got the C on his chest.

LOL. Since Bettman likes selling the game so much, it would be great if Scott fights Chara (assuming he makes the all star team) at the opening faceoff.

1 minute ago, khay said:

LOL. Since Bettman likes selling the game so much, it would be great if Scott fights Chara (assuming he makes the all star team) at the opening faceoff.

That's a parody account, but I still find it funny. I can see it now, the first ever fight at an All Star Game. Followed by some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMr7I_jRGk

On 03/01/2016 at 10:50 PM, smokes said:

What they need to do is get rid of the fan vote. A player like John Scott being voted in just shows how an individual is smart but people as a whole are retarded.

*If* the goal was to restore dignity to the all-star game the NHL could have a predetermined pool of players for fans to vote on.  

Having said that I sort of prefer the All-Star Game as a joke event, we have 9 months of serious hockey to watch, it's nice to have an event oriented purely towards fun and entertainment.

Remember Rory Fitzpatrick. The Canucks and their fans were mocked and vilified for that campaign. Now that it is one of Butteman's pet teams, everyone is behind it. Sickening!!!

From Wikipedia:

"For his part, Fitzpatrick — who never actively supported the campaign beyond donning a T-shirt at the request of photographers — stated that he had gotten a kick out of the movement and acknowledged the hard work that his supporters had put into it.[7] Fitzpatrick's teammates were also supportive, with several voicing their intention to vote, and wearing customized "Vote for Rory" T-shirts at a team practice.[8]

The final voting results on January 13, 2007 saw Fitzpatrick finish in third place behind Scott Niedermayer and Nicklas Lidstrom, meaning he did not start in the All-Star game. Slate found the final results suspicious due to unlikely numerical coincidences in the final week of voting, and believed that the NHL altered the vote counts.[9 "

Good for him.  Hope he enjoys it.

I used to care about the integrity of the All-Star Game, but it hasn't had any at all for about 20 years.

It started to become a joke with North America vs the World, but that was high stakes hockey compared the new tinkering and BS that has snowballed over the last decade.  It has turned into such a gimmicky joke that it can't ever recover its credibility.  The only way it ever could was if it went back to East vs West for home ice in the Stanley Cup Final.

If it's going to be a goofball weekend, may as well let someone like John Scott have some fun.  I am actually more interested in seeing how that plays out than I have been in anything all-star related in the last 10 years.

Are you guys seriously thinking hes going to fight? Come on. Let's think a little. He would pretty much make every person who voted for him look like an idiot, not that they don't already. No he's not going to fight. Hes going to get a shot at something in the skill comp and take some shifts in the ASG and who knows, with how lax the ASG is, he may even have the game of his life. 

I wonder what the other allstars think.

Archived