The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Send Virtanen back to junior

yes we can nucks

Virtanen was supposed to be a key member of Team Canada at the WJC this season, being one of the 4 returning players from last year's team.  Instead, he did not score a goal.  Worse, he took undisciplined penalties that cost Canada the quarter final game against Finland.  He ended up sitting on the bench in the crucial last few minutes in the game.  He showed that he needs to spend more time in junior so he can develop into a more mature and disciplined player.

4 minutes ago, jdatb said:

Virtanen is the worst player I've ever seen at the wjc. Even worse than Freddy Gauthier from last year wow

Well that's one of the biggest overstatements I've seen on this board.

2 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Virtanen shouldn't have made the team to begin with. Of course he should be sent back to junior. And he should probably start next year in the AHL. 

Definitely should have made the team. 

I'm not excusing JVs double penalty but to say he's why Canada lost is ridiculous. 9 penalties, 4 of which negated potential TC power plays. Constant line juggling. This team never played well throughout the entire tourney. Anyone blaming a kid for a team loss has no concept of team sport. JV is a kid ... he'll be fine. Leave him be. 

11 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Well that's one of the biggest overstatements I've seen on this board.

Definitely should have made the team. 

Can you back up your argument? It's more the coach's fault for playing Virtanen on the top line, though. He belonged on the 4th.

17 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Virtanen shouldn't have made the team to begin with. Of course he should be sent back to junior. And he should probably start next year in the AHL. 

Once more Willie proved right. He could see early on that Jake lacked the IQ. It's all right having a man's body at 18 but if everyone else has a man's body too then you must come up with more.

I wouldn't write Jake off, it's really JB's fault for promoting him too fast. He will learn the right way in the Juniors and then in Utica.

Quite frankly I think Willie has been reluctant all along but has been pressured by JB to continue to play and overplay these boys. I am glad to see he has decided to give McCann more rest and practice too. The guy was a victim of his own courage.

The people who should be hanging their heads are those idiots on here who condemned Willie on a daily basis for not playing these boys 15 minutes a night, on PP, on PK and on 3 v 3. I think if it had been up to them they would have had them even driving the zamboni.

I was watching the game with my dad who doesn't follow the NHL anywhere near as closely as I do. Time difference is tough with most games starting between midnight and 4 in the morning over here. "I have never seen a dumber player than this #18 guy for Canada". Horrible tournament and ridiculously bad game for Virtanen today..

We have to remember though, it's just one game of many in his career, it doesn't define him. I was in support of Virt not making this team this year but he did, he hasn't really impressed and honestly I think he needs a slap in the face and a big wake up call. Send him back to juniors. He is the Canucks jewel, don't go messing up his development here, he can be a massive impact player in the NHL for years to come, but he needs to develop his game.

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Once more Willie proved right. He could see early on that Jake lacked the IQ. It's all right having a man's body at 18 but if everyone else has a man's body too then you must come up with more.

I wouldn't write Jake off, it's really JB's fault for promoting him too fast. He will learn the right way in the Juniors and then in Utica.

Quite frankly I think Willie has been reluctant all along but has been pressured by JB to continue to play and overplay these boys. I am glad to see he has decided to give McCann more rest and practice too. The guy was a victim of his own courage.

The people who should be hanging their heads are those idiots on here who condemned Willie on a daily basis for not playing these boys 15 minutes a night, on PP, on PK and on 3 v 3. I think if it had been up to them they would have had them even driving the zamboni.

Absolutely correct. Have posted in other threads but he needs more time to develop. He is very raw still but his potential is immense. TG in Utica would do wonders with this kid.

Archived