The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott The Province

Stanky Legs

Haven't paid for that tabloid in years, it's packed with garbage articles from front to back and their "reporters" are a bunch of goofball, neo-con hacks.

On occasion I'll read a Botchford article when it's been posted on CDC, they always make me chuckle. The guy's a total hack and not actually a journalist because he's got zero objectivity. As already mentioned: he's just a paid troll. 

His aim is to be a tabloid journalist and hence has no journalistic integrity.

42 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

I don't bother reading their content or taking them seriously.

Would be funny if the Canucks boycotted The Province like they boycotted CBC after the Burrows-Auger fiasco.

I think they should ignore Botch going forward. I think the NHL wouldn't allow them to ban the province from the room and its employees but a good way to deal with that idiot would be no one answer his questions.

Very easy to ruin his career since he does his best to ruin a 19 yr olds (and many others in the past). Personally, if I was Benning and Acquilini I would start by not letting him in the room (much as Gallagher was banned in the past). If they can't enforce it, then players just ignore the idiot.

51 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read the province..? You didn't even read the article! if you don't like it, just don't read it maybe? problem solved?

Virt should take this on the chin either way, use it for motivation to prove everyone wrong if that's what the general consensus and thoughts are.

You are right, but it is hard to do, especially for a 19-year-old kid. It is hard to handle all the tough media questions with grace. To his credit, Jake handled his post-game interview pretty well. (Not perfectly, but much better than I would have at age 19.)

I bet that Jake will feel pretty bad for a while, but the support of WD, JB, and his Canuck teammates will be a big plus. As others have said, this experience might help in the long run, although I am sure it sucks right now.

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'd love to say "I'm in", but the truth is, I haven't bought one for years. So I guess....

...."I'm in?"...:unsure:

Yup, I have been boycotting the Province for years already.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The Province isn't the problem. The decision to take The Province seriously is the real problem.

Good point. I suspect that the Province is delighted to get people talking about them. That is why they put Jake on the back cover with a very negative title. And I think they achieved what they wanted. The best revenge is just to ignore them.

My own view that Jake had a bad tournament, as did other key players for Canada, but the Province headline is hitting below the belt. It comes with the territory but it has hit Jake earlier than most players. 

Don't need to, never buy it or read it anyways.

The level of writing for that paper has gone down the toilet. In a last ditch effort to keep readership levels sustainable, it seems like they just write sensationalist garbage about the Canucks.

Didn't Botchford work for the Toronto Sun?  BC is full of media clowns that crawl over the Rockies from the east to roost here. Their roots are as shallow as their opinions. The headline was nasty and didn't seem to match the story.

You mean this article?:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/botchford+canucks+staying+course+with/11627537/story.html

Go ahead, count them.

There aren’t more than a handful. In any given year, there’s maybe six players in the NHL having legitimate power forward seasons.

Fewer, if you want to count those who can do it consistently. And by do it, the best measure I’ve seen, is score 25 goals and average 1.5 hits a game while lugging around a 210-pound body up and down the ice for most of 82 games.

Jake Virtanen has this potential. He was blessed with size, gifted with foot speed, and though you wouldn’t know it if you only watched him at the World Junior Championship, he can score.

It’s what makes him, potentially, both rare and special.

Because, generally, if you want a power forward on your team and you didn’t draft and develop him, good freakin’ luck to you.

It’s why the Canucks, with remarkable sureness, drafted Virtanen with the No. 6 overall pick in 2014.

“I think he has a unique skill set,” GM Jim Benning explained. “The game has got fast. More so this year. It’s hard to get to the net again. But he has the size and strength to get there.

“Even it that game (Saturday), you saw two or three instances where he put his head down and he bulled his way to the net.

“That’s a special skill set.”

Amazing, Benning was able to pull positives from “that game.” The rest of the country was otherwise occupied eviscerating the Canucks 19-year-old winger for his three penalties.

You can make a strong case those penalties are what cost Team Canada, the first of which pretty much derailed what looked for while to be a Canadian locomotive.

The game marked the end of an incredibly disappointing tournament for Virtanen, who finished with one point. Loaned to Hockey Canada to to handle the puck, gain confidence, and score some goals, he managed to do nothing but infuriate the country’s rabid fans, always hungry for a scapegoat this time of year if Canada doesn’t win gold.

“It’s a team game,” Benning said. “It’s not just one player. I’m sure he would have liked to have those penalties back, but I’m sure there are other guys on the team who took penalties who would like those back too.

“I thought he worked and competed hard.

“It almost looked like he tried too hard sometimes, and sometimes when you do that things don’t go your way.”

Virtanen will be reporting back to the Canucks, initially. Whether or not he lasts the rest of the season with the team is a huge question, and it’s one the Canucks will be discussing for the next few days.

The Canucks have set a deadline of Jan. 10 to reach a decision, which is, interestingly, the trade deadline in the WHL.

There are plenty of good reasons for Virtanen to remain a Canuck. You can probably start at the fact that when his WHL season ended last year, he was near 230 pounds, about 15 pounds more than what the Canucks would consider his playing weight should be.

-----------

So what exactly did he say that was so offensive?

He praised him more than anything. His criticisms are only repeating what the rest of Canada is saying already, ie. those 3 penalties were deadly costly. Which I don't think anyone can deny.  If it was some other prospect from another team, I'm sure we'd all be slagging that player and making fun of the pick, especially if it was another Canadian team's pick.

You Botch haters are hilarious. Scouring the interwebs for any tiny twitter statement or article to smear him. And this one is a fail. IMO he is one of the cleverest, insightful, and not afraid of Canucks management, of most all the reporters. And anyone that can put that idiot Pratt in his place like he did filling in on the morning show, is tops in my book.

Archived