The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott The Province

Stanky Legs

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

Haven't paid for that tabloid in years, it's packed with garbage articles from front to back and their "reporters" are a bunch of goofball, neo-con hacks.

On occasion I'll read a Botchford article when it's been posted on CDC, they always make me chuckle. The guy's a total hack and not actually a journalist because he's got zero objectivity. As already mentioned: he's just a paid troll. 

His aim is to be a tabloid journalist and hence has no journalistic integrity.

Read the article - then comment.

7 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Let's face it, JV needs more maturity in his game. A player who takes dumb penalties is selfish plain and simple.

That being said, The Province is just living up to their inflated reputation.

Agree with your first line 100%

The 2nd line - not so much.  I read the article and that it was fair comment.

8 hours ago, jejejester said:

It's botch. He's the Marchand of the journalism world 

You beat me to it and said it better than I would ever have.  Thank U.   Botch is the biggest jerk on this side of the earth and I will never buy the Province paper again.

37 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

So we're supposed to boycott a newspaper because you don't like their article? 

I don't think he actually read the article. I believe it was headline/photo on the back cover he didn't like and he's blaming Botchford for it.

I've been "boycotting" the province ever since newsprint became an outdated and rapidly declining form of media, being replaced by the internet which provides greater convenience and a lower cost for a busy and cash strapped young person as myself.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Botch is in the business of selling newspapers! negativity unfortunately sells in this city. 

Hope that Jake proves this entire city wrong about what kind of player he becomes. 

If you've watched tsn the last couple of days, it's not just our city. TSN has treated him like a criminal. Headline isn't that the team was awful, rather that Virtanen cost us the game.

Worst part is reading the tsn forums and seeing all the comments from Leafs, coilers and Flames fans celebrate how happy they are that he's a canuck. 

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did anyone actually read the articles?

Roughly half of Botch's piece is about how rare power forwards are and how Jake has the potential to be a very special player. A big chunk is quotes from Benning looking at the positives from the WJC. Most of the rest is questioning what's the best next step, in terms of Virtanen's development.

As far as the headline and Virt being the "goat" for Canada's loss, the article is mostly reporting on what was being said across the country on Twitter and other forums.

And while they don't shy away from criticizing Virtanen for his lack of discipline (deservedly so IMO), both Province writers (Botchford and Traikos) devote considerable ink to the fact that scapegoating Jake alone is unfair and that there's plenty of blame to go around for TC's poor showing.

Sorry, but this just isn't boycott worthy stuff.

I agree with you Kilgore and Baggins about the article Sid, (thanks for posting, K) there's nothing wrong with it. The cover photo and accompanying headline however...

It's the sports editors who deserve the complaints in this particular case, not Botch.

15 hours ago, kilgore said:

You mean this article?:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/botchford+canucks+staying+course+with/11627537/story.html

So what exactly did he say that was so offensive?

He praised him more than anything. His criticisms are only repeating what the rest of Canada is saying already, ie. those 3 penalties were deadly costly. Which I don't think anyone can deny.  If it was some other prospect from another team, I'm sure we'd all be slagging that player and making fun of the pick, especially if it was another Canadian team's pick.

You Botch haters are hilarious. Scouring the interwebs for any tiny twitter statement or article to smear him. And this one is a fail. IMO he is one of the cleverest, insightful, and not afraid of Canucks management, of most all the reporters. And anyone that can put that idiot Pratt in his place like he did filling in on the morning show, is tops in my book.

Botch is often terrible, but this was a fairly reasonable article. Once again, people rushing to defend our prospect's honour like it's been besmirched by a silent movie villain. Just CDC CDC'ing.

/thread

Archived