The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott The Province

Stanky Legs

14 hours ago, RunningWild said:

We are not Russia. There is a thing as free speech. Boycotting for free speech is pretty dumb.

Actually, boycotting something you haven't even read and just assume you disagree with is dumb.

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did anyone actually read the articles?

Roughly half of Botch's piece is about how rare power forwards are and how Jake has the potential to be a very special player. A big chunk is quotes from Benning looking at the positives from the WJC. Most of the rest is questioning what's the best next step, in terms of Virtanen's development.

As far as the headline and Virt being the "goat" for Canada's loss, the article is mostly reporting on what was being said across the country on Twitter and other forums.

And while they don't shy away from criticizing Virtanen for his lack of discipline (deservedly so IMO), both Province writers (Botchford and Traikos) devote considerable ink to the fact that scapegoating Jake alone is unfair and that there's plenty of blame to go around for TC's poor showing.

Sorry, but this just isn't boycott worthy stuff.

It's CDC, Sid, what did you expect?

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

No one has posted it.

I really dislike the Prov and have for.. just shy of 20yrs, but will read Botch when it's posted here....

Check back on page 2 of this thread, it was posted in its entirety. But of course that should have been the OP's job, to at least post the relevant part of the article he took offence too - assuming he'd actually read it would be a big ask though.

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Ironic Virtanen was thrown to the wolves by many for something he did while so many fans here, angry about it, are throwing Botchford to the wolves for something he didn't do.

:lol:

Irony, that's CDC in a nutshell.

11 hours ago, homersexual said:

The article in question doesn't come close to be as bad as CDC when it comes to ripping into Virtanen. Just visit the Virtanen thread.

Boycott CDC!!! Where's the OP to create a thread when we need him?!

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

So we're supposed to boycott a newspaper because you don't like their article? 

Yes. An article they didn't read, yes.

While I disagree with Botchford in that Virtanen did not cost us the WJC, the team just didn't seem to gel well together.   I also believe the NHL is not the best league for him at this moment. In the NHL, he plays like a pest but in the juniors and eventually the AHL, he can develope into a top 6 with the extra playing time and added pressure.Virtanen is going to be something special but power forwards are kind of like defencemen in that they usually get real special at around 25-26.

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

While I disagree with Botchford in that Virtanen did not cost us the WJC, the team just didn't seem to gel well together.   I also believe the NHL is not the best league for him at this moment. In the NHL, he plays like a pest but in the juniors and eventually the AHL, he can develope into a top 6 with the extra playing time and added pressure.Virtanen is going to be something special but power forwards are kind of like defencemen in that they usually get real special at around 25-26.

I agree with all you say, except Virtanen will be with the Canucks until next season.  Then he's going to play in Utica. Botchford and the Province are trying to sell papers, which should be used in peoples' washrooms.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Odd, I read the article in this thread.....

57 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Check back on page 2 of this thread, it was posted in its entirety. But of course that should have been the OP's job, to at least post the relevant part of the article he took offence too - assuming he'd actually read it would be a big ask though.

Thanks Gents, must have missed it on my first breeze through the topic.

Gave it a read, nothing to be upset about there. Good article all in all, devoid of a negative slant, full of praise and hope. One of the better Botch articles I've read, for sure.

18 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

As you all know, The Province, a local newspaper came out with an outrageous and disgusting news article blaming Virtanen about the WJC loss.

Im going to be honest, I just saw the headline not the full story but it is my opinion that it is malicious. Virtanen did not have a good tournament but so does most of the team. 

With this article, most of Canada will hate the Canucks more, so I propose, we boycott buying the newspaper until they apologize to Jake and Canucks fans.

Who's with me?

I've often said we should have a media thread critiquing their job.It's not just the Province and Botch. He's been like this for years. I hear this guy on the team1040 and wonder if he ever played sports at any level.

You're got your Botch's, Gallaghers, Willies and so on. They've gotta come up with something in this hockey market and when there's no story, especially Botch, has a tendency to  embellish a little. 

This used to really upset me but now I accept this as the norm. Lets just say it's questionable writing on many of these loafer wearing vacuum cleaner boys. It's the norm.

People got pi$$ed of at the Junior article but fans were smart enough to jump on what isn't true. That also can be said for a lot of people on this site. Experts ata a sport they never played.

So we all need to take this with a gran of salt and consider the source.

29 minutes ago, smokes said:

Read my post above.

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

I just read the article for the first time a few minutes ago. People are getting their knickers in a knot over THAT?

Go out and buy some thicker skin, people.

I think that the concern is more with what is implied by the cover of the paper. 

I doubt that the reported such as Botchford actually write these headlines but whoever did, should try to pay more attention to what is really being reported.

The Province has said that their readers are concerned about the headline, there is no report of concern with the article. (albeit, no apologies either)

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/province+readers+react+virtanen+back+page/11628394/story.html

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Actually, boycotting something you haven't even read and just assume you disagree with is dumb.

Don't you think that the cover page is enough for some people to want to boycott the paper?

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

I just read the article for the first time a few minutes ago. People are getting their knickers in a knot over THAT?

Go out and buy some thicker skin, people.

Most people are upset about the photo and accompanying caption. While many are wrongly assuming that the article follows the same tenor and (again wrongly) blaming Botchford, I am of the opinion that the cover page itself was poorly chosen and yes, worthy of getting ones "knickers in a knot"...

Jake is a victim of optics.  The press have short memories and the timing of his infractions looked bad but his errors were no less severe or "stupid" than the major screw up at the end of the first by the whole line...Canada wins the draw in their end, the D man makes a weak,  unforced pass to his partner who bobbles it.  They then lose control and the puck goes to a wide open Finn who then scores with a shot that any goalie in that tournament should stop. 

To me, that was a turning point in the game as Canada had a 2-0 lead and was dominating.

Strome took just as selfish and "stupid" a penalty earlier in the game with a blatant cross-check. Again, a momentum changer but the timing of it gives him a pass.  Jakes infraction for tripping late in the game was nowhere near as selfish or obvious.

Marner's totally selfish and stupid penalty late in the game is getting far less press than VIrtanten..,why?

The silver lining could be that his teammates will circle the wagons and Jake will grow significantly from the adversity. I'm sure he has learned a valuable lesson in how much faith to put in the press.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Incredible..How are you allowed to run thru thread after thread and lay personal insults down without getting heat from Mods...Youre like the Mod Whisperer. Others have been banned for far less.

My buddy just called me and told me a bombshell,
the clown editor of the Province just returned his call.

Said they got in a heated argument when the editor...Wayne Moriarlty i think his name... told my pal that he didn't even see the game was at a family affair but went with he headline anyway.  
sounds like a totally irresponsible and d-bag scumbag running that rag in case anyone was unsure.

What the click baiter scum doesn't realize is that he's personally responsible for making this market less attractive for UFA's.

Call and let him know.

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Don't you think that the cover page is enough for some people to want to boycott the paper?

Most people are upset about the photo and accompanying caption. While many are wrongly assuming that the article follows the same tenor and (again wrongly) blaming Botchford, I am of the opinion that the cover page itself was poorly chosen and yes, worthy of getting ones "knickers in a knot"...

I'll agree the photo/caption is a tad dramatic and fairly tasteless. The article itself was quite benign from my standpoint.

Archived