The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the next prospect to ask for a trade?

thejazz97

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

That's pronounced hogg is it not?

Could a Hogg/Yensen swap maybe be in the offing?

Robert Hägg = Hegg. Just like Egg with an "H" before it.
Eddie Läck = Leck

Nicklas Bäckström = Beckstrom

We have got 3 extra letters in the Swedish alphabet: Å, Ä, Ö
Å = Oh (like you are surprised)
Ä = Eh
Ö = Uh

My favorite one in the NHL/AHL used to be Daniel Bång from Nashville. Everyone was calling him BANG and its pronounced "Bong"

Biggest murdering of a european name of all time? Teemu Selänne. Cell-EN-eh. Not selanne like Salami.

Not sure why I'm telling you this but a minute lesson on pronouncing swedish names..?

11 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Robert Hägg = Hegg. Just like Egg with an "H" before it.
Eddie Läck = Leck

Nicklas Bäckström = Beckstrom

We have got 3 extra letters in the Swedish alphabet: Å, Ä, Ö
Å = Oh (like you are surprised)
Ä = Eh
Ö = Uh

My favorite one in the NHL/AHL used to be Daniel Bång from Nashville. Everyone was calling him BANG and its pronounced "Bong"

Biggest murdering of a european name of all time? Teemu Selänne. Cell-EN-eh. Not selanne like Salami.

Not sure why I'm telling you this but a minute lesson on pronouncing swedish names..?

Anglicized names are the nature of the beast in an English speaking country. The same goes for any word that fits awkwardly in a new language. My name is Jake and my Quebecois friends call me "Jayak". A couple eastern European friends call me "Yakub". 

It doesn't bother me, I find it amusing. And I'm sure the Swedish players don't care either. 

4 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Anglicized names are the nature of the beast in an English speaking country. The same goes for any word that fits awkwardly in a new language. My name is Jake and my Quebecois friends call me "Jayak". A couple eastern European friends call me "Yakub". 

It doesn't bother me, I find it amusing. And I'm sure the Swedish players don't care either. 

Oh I am absolutely sure it doesn't bother anyone, I was "blessed" with a name that has "Å" in it. Didn't grow up in Sweden and have lived abroad for 13 years now. I've heard every possible attempt at pronouncing my name, if anything it's a great conversation starter!

6 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

SvenBaertschi?

He's a jerk if he does. Benning took him out of Calgary and he's been getting NHL playing time here. If he wants to leave, then at least play out the rest of the contract.

This is all hypothetical, of course. Realistically, he's not in a position to demand anything.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I simply based off of HF's criteria for a player to be considered a prospect.

I was just being a smartass - as in he still hasn't really proven himself at the NHL level - but age wise and contract wise, yeah, no a 'prospect

12 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Oh I am absolutely sure it doesn't bother anyone, I was "blessed" with a name that has "Å" in it. Didn't grow up in Sweden and have lived abroad for 13 years now. I've heard every possible attempt at pronouncing my name, if anything it's a great conversation starter!

I'm a Swede in Canada and many people have trouble pronouncing my name as well. It's totally okay.
I was also given the two Swedish books The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden (in English) for christmas followed by a phone call from another friend telling me that "Mama Mia is on TV right now!". It's adorable.

Archived