The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our painful power play, drying paint and watching water boil.

luckylager

The PP has been sad. The PK hasn't even had to work. They just box up the middle and we pass it around waiting for the box to open up, which it never does, because as long as they don't we just keep passing it around. Its like a self fulfilling prophecy. We pass it around because they wont break the box. They don't break the box because we pass it around. It's not hard to coach against us. The box is perfect. We cant get the puck through from the point so why even risk the box to challenge shooter. We put a guy in front of the net? Good for the PK, one more body to clog up that which we already cant penetrate. We can't even put five guys on the ice that are a real threat. It's not hard for 4 guys to defend against two twins and maybe one threat from the point.

Let's face it,  the power play sucks.  16 % Efficient  

I agree with many of the posters here.  It is stale and needs new players. It is very frustrating to watch them pass the puck around.  

Watching it is not like watching water boil or paint dry, it is PAINFUL.  

Does Henrik EVER shoot the f'n puck.  The opposing penalty killers don't even have to check him he will not shoot. If he did once in a while he would score and/or create a rebound chance. He should just try to pass the puck into the net?:blink:

The best power plays are Boston Chicago Dallas and Washington .Do these teams dump it in and get beat to the puck?  No they have possession. Clearly we do not have the skill on most of those teams but Boston is intriguing. 

Boston has 3 centres on the top unit and they don't give the puck away they gain entry and set up shots.  

They all do the slap- pass way better than the twins even though they practically invented it.  

Burrows just does not seem to have it anymore and just takes the team off the PP. Which is also not good.

Maybe we should throw McCann and Hutton and Virtanen and the twins out there and see what happens. 

How could it get any worse?

I think Brendan Gaunce should deserve a call-up for PP purposes.

He's big, has a good shot and in Utica he's worked well with skilled guys like Shink on the PP, either as the guy who creates passes around the net or finishes them off with his wrister.  With that combination of skills I think something like this for a 1st unit would be good:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaunce
Vrbata - Hutton

The Twins can continue to wreak havoc in the perimeter but they can pass it in to Brendan in the slot who can either shoot, help with the puck-movement using his size or set up one of the point men (likely Vrbata).  Hutton and Vrbata can also work well, as Ben is pretty good at walking the line.  Just haven't seen him wristing one through from the point but I think one day he'll get a goal like that on the PP.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Not to pile on but I haven't seen weber hit the net since I don't know when....so when the first line gets held to the perimeter and pp2 tries shots......well....

I actually saw him blast one right into the logo against the Ducks and although it sounds strange, I thought it was a good move.

When trying to pick the corners keeps resulting in picking the corners of the rink, you need to start blasting the puck at the middle of the net. Sooner or later one is going to go "wide" and find the inside of the post and something like that can inspire confidence and really kick start your offensive game.

It might sound facetious, but I'm entirely serious. 

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I actually saw him blast one right into the logo against the Ducks and although it sounds strange, I thought it was a good move.

When trying to pick the corners keeps resulting in picking the corners of the rink, you need to start blasting the puck at the middle of the net. Sooner or later one is going to go "wide" and find the inside of the post and something like that can inspire confidence and really kick start your offensive game.

It might sound facetious, but I'm entirely serious. 

No 

I entirely agree and was thinking the same thing.  Just get it on net....he's programmes it seems, to attempt a snipe every time and it hasn't been working for him.

that being said we need a net presence.

Sometimes you just suck at things and can't get out of the funk. Much like how this team is brutal in 3-on-3 (this is when they are stationary the most) and in the previous year when they couldn't win a shootout.

I don't think the answer is personnel. That's just throwing darts at the board and hoping for a bulls-eye. Not that I have any clue but look what happened in Pittsburgh since they changed the coach. Over the past two weeks the PP is clicking and Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Hornqvist are going off. We obviously do not have those horses nor am I looking to can WD but whoever runs the PP needs a makeover.

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Weird... Move the puck across the net, send someone down the gut and you get a goal... Horvat none the less.

WD, you been reading CDC? 

No more Nancy pansy, baby half boards PP.. Mmmkay?

It'd have to be a minute and a half of anyone else on the ice.

The Sedins do boardplay. But the Hansen game (as it always does) has dried up. Put Hansen back with Horvat because they worked great.

Archived