The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] - Canucks recall Grenier

hatedkid666

.... I tend to think like a few others here,  let's put JV somewhere he can get good ice time and his confidence back,. Grenier has been seasoning well, training and playing with the Canucks has a far better upside for him than it does Jake at this point.

45 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Grenier will be sent back down in two days after sitting in the press box tonight. Rinse, repeat.

So what, there is more to calling a player up than playing him. Try and keep what you don't know to yourself and it will make you look wise.

50 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Maybe Big Virt is going down to the minors. Let me rephrase that, hopefully Big Virt is going down to the minors because as much as I am for a youth movement, I definitely don't want our youth to be rushed when there seems to be more ready candidates on the farm team.

Virtanen is 19 and can't go the minors. 

It's NHL or back to the Hitmen. 

14 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why should we make the hate brigade happy. Stuff them and let's do what's best for the team.

Actually there is no hate brigade. Merely fans who want to see more youth with excitement and enthusiasm given the chance to play meaningful minutes, rather than seeing the same lifeless play from the likes of Higgins and Weber.

Whether or not you choose to believe it, there are veterans on this team that aren't contributing, and when building a winning environment, everyone needs to contribute.

Just now, nom_de_plume said:

That's what u say about all the guys, eh Blunt?  Nudge nudge wink wink... A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh? Eh?

Is your wife a goer? Does she go?

Does she like photography? Candid photography, he asked him knowingly.

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.... I tend to think like a few others here,  let's put JV somewhere he can get good ice time and his confidence back,. Grenier has been seasoning well, training and playing with the Canucks has a far better upside for him than it does Jake at this point.

Sending Jake Virtanen back to Junior to play against other junior players does nothing to help him learn how to play against bigger, stronger opponents.

Sending Jake Virtanen back to Junior to "gain confidence" is really false confidence because what he can do there, does not directly translate to what he can do in the NHL

Keeping Jake Virtanen with the Canucks does more for him than not, as they can control his training, his practicing and getting him into games where he stands a better chance to succeed and learn the pro NHL game.

Virtanen, like a lot of top prospects is just caught in the no-man's land agreement between the AHL and the CHL to protect the CHL from losing top players. Here's my problem with that however, the CHL is a developmental league, just as the AHL is. I think it would be far better for the game of hockey if top prospects who physically AND skillfully have outgrown the CHL are allowed to transition to the AHL instead bull rushing straight to the NHL.

That said, there are exceptions to the rule like with Draisaitl, but that path is not guaranteed to work for the majority of top prospects.

2 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

Sending Jake Virtanen back to Junior to play against other junior players does nothing to help him learn how to play against bigger, stronger opponents.

Sending Jake Virtanen back to Junior to "gain confidence" is really false confidence because what he can do there, does not directly translate to what he can do in the NHL

Keeping Jake Virtanen with the Canucks does more for him than not, as they can control his training, his practicing and getting him into games where he stands a better chance to succeed and learn the pro NHL game.

Virtanen, like a lot of top prospects is just caught in the no-man's land agreement between the AHL and the CHL to protect the CHL from losing top players. Here's my problem with that however, the CHL is a developmental league, just as the AHL is. I think it would be far better for the game of hockey if top prospects who physically AND skillfully have outgrown the CHL are allowed to transition to the AHL instead bull rushing straight to the NHL.

That said, there are exceptions to the rule like with Draisaitl, but that path is not guaranteed to work for the majority of top prospects.

I agree the CHL deal is counter-productive to the higher draft picks who are too good for the CHL but not NHL ready. Drouin is a good example of that as he was rushed to the NHL before he was ready and now finds himself in no-man's land. 

I understand the concern from the CHL but there needs to be a way to address these situations.  Perhaps monetary compensation from the NHL club to the CHL team would soften the blow?  Would the Nucks be willing to send $250k - $500K to the Hitmen if it were possible to send Jake to the AHL right away (i.e. in October 2015)?

11 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

... Also re- opens the discussion for the age limit in Junior to be raised,. Which I think it should.

... And since the NCAA, looks at Major Junior Hockey in North America as being pro.. A real pay or rate scale should be implemented for those who play in it.  

Ps. I think JV should go back to Junior regardless,. I have not seen him dominate anywhere in the past 4 months,. WJC included.  

1 hour ago, meh_wassup said:

Maybe Big Virt is going down to the minors. Let me rephrase that, hopefully Big Virt is going down to the minors because as much as I am for a youth movement, I definitely don't want our youth to be rushed when there seems to be more ready candidates on the farm team.

I'm thinking the'll give Virt the 40 game // 40 day ? mark his year is burned off the ELC contract with his fine but protecting that extra year of RFA status seems more important to do so for Virt than McCann.

8 minutes ago, RyIe said:

Would be nice to see Grenier and Kenins on the same line. 

One is going back tomorrow to add Virtanen.  The other will follow once Baertschi is off IR (he was at the optional today so it can't be too long).  I think Vey is the one that will stay until Sutter is re-activated because of their plan to not play McCann every game going forward.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

One is going back tomorrow to add Virtanen.  The other will follow once Baertschi is off IR (he was at the optional today so it can't be too long).  I think Vey is the one that will stay until Sutter is re-activated because of their plan to not play McCann every game going forward.

Yea. Unfortunately because Higgins is still occupying a roster spot. Grenier, Kenins and Cracknell seems like ideal 4th line.

Grenier, has had quite a few fights in the AHL and has pretty decent hands, don't see why he can't take over for Prust. 

Listening to Willie this morning he admitted to underestimating Grenier's  speed. Is it me or does Willie seem to under estimate a lot of players and therefore doesn't play them?

Vancouver doesn't have time to wait for Willie to catch up to speed on things.

It's hard to understand why,Pedan, one of the biggest defenseman  on the team, that skates the fastest, with the hardest slap shot, that needs more playing time isn't playing over a smaller underachieving,barely physical, inconsistent Weber.

Biega has exposed Weber as a small soft defenseman. Biega has been logging some nice minutes and deservedly so.

Of course Pedan will have to play protected minutes but Biega allows for that where Weber is iffy on what you'll get each night.

7 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Listening to Willie this morning he admitted to underestimating Grenier's  speed. Is it me or does Willie seem to under estimate a lot of players and therefore doesn't play them?

Vancouver doesn't have time to wait for Willie to catch up to speed on things.

It's hard to understand why,Pedan, one of the biggest defenseman  on the team, that skates the fastest, with the hardest slap shot, that needs more playing time isn't playing over a smaller underachieving,barely physical, inconsistent Weber.

Biega has exposed Weber as a small soft defenseman. Biega has been logging some nice minutes and deservedly so.

Of course Pedan will have to play protected minutes but Biega allows for that where Weber is iffy on what you'll get each night.

I'm with you on this, almost like WD needs a couple of night in the press box,.. At least Tort's was good for that ;) 

Archived