Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

if they haven't already, the canucks should offer manny malhotra a job


tas

Recommended Posts

manny is currently on a professional try out with the blue jackets ahl affiliate (lake erie monsters), who had loaned him to canada's spengler cup team which just won the championship. according to aaron portzline (on mobile, not looking for link), malhotra has 1 pt in 8 ahl games and is unlikely to get an nhl deal.

assuming he gets cut loose, and if he's finally prepared to hang up the skates, the canucks should immediately offer him a job as a skills coach to work along side glenn carnegie, focusing on the defensive side of the game and in particular working with the centers (and other forwards) on faceoffs. 

i know that when gillis decided to park malhotra, he encouraged him to take a coaching position with the team and left the offer on the table when malhotra decided to move on, but i have no idea whether or not the current administration have made or would be willing to make the same overtures. if not, they certainly should, because faceoffs are a glaring issue with no real improvement in sight (sutter's return might help bring them up close to 50%, but winning teams tend to have possession, and faceoffs are key) and defensive play could benefit as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

Gillis burnt that bridge when he benched Manny, I highly doubt we ever see him in a Canucks uniform for any reason.

 

Another poorly handled situation from the Gillis era.

gillis is gone and manny still lives in vancouver and skates with canucks players in the summer. 

i certainly wouldn't rule it out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tas said:

gillis is gone and manny still lives in vancouver and skates with canucks players in the summer. 

i certainly wouldn't rule it out. 

Skating with friends/Living near family, and dealing with a team's management/staff are two very different things.

 

I would. We screwed up the end of Manny's career, I don't think he'll be looking at the Canucks organization fondly.

Personally, I hope I'm wrong, but, I don't think I'd be able to forgive a team for taking my last year or two of "effective" play from me because of how they "feel" about my health.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely, and I would be surprised if it never happens. I don't think there are bad feelings at all between Manny and the Canucks organization and he was loved by the fans and players here. To suggest that the Canucks were wrong in telling him they weren't ready to put him in a situation that could jeopardize his health for the rest of his life is not an insult to Manny or a sign of disrespect.. If anything it's like a parent that keeps their child from becoming a race car driver because of the risks involved. It wasn't out of spite, it was out of concern and dare I say love(?). They were concerned about his health and told him they weren't ready to allow him to risk his health. Fantastic leader and person that could fill a similar role as Ryan Johnson does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are most of the coaching staff members from that era even around still?

Gillis is gone, so with whom would he still have a bone to pick?  If he got a job for face-off training and didn't find Benning/ Linden/ Willie too difficult to work with I'm sure as a grown man he'd be willing to overlook the past and take the role.  It's not like Mark Messier's coming back to teach leadership in that one side really left their mark negatively.  

Overall good idea, OP.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's not the only good face-off guy out there to learn from. They could just find anyone who was good at face-offs that is retired and offer them a job. The Canucks organization doesn't seem to care or they would have addressed the need a few years ago as this team has been dreadful at face-offs for quite some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nail3738 said:

Gillis burnt that bridge when he benched Manny, I highly doubt we ever see him in a Canucks uniform for any reason.

 

Another poorly handled situation from the Gillis era.

I doubt that Manny would hold the previous regime's actions against the team. And as tas pointed out, he lives in Vancouver and has friends on the team.

If nothing else, he could help the guys with faceoff techniques...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Manny working with Horvat and McCann to see what wonders he could do with their FO game. Learning from one of the best in the league would be a tremendous bonus for us. I don't think he has any issues with the current Canucks management, but I do believe he would be interested to come back as a trainer role. 

Like Ryan Johnson, I hope we bring Manny back since he's been a great leader for the Canucks and a great ambassador of the game as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, poetica said:

I would love to see Manny rejoin the Canucks organization. Unfortunately, for that to happen I think he has to realize that his playing career is over first...

being released from a pto with the ahl affiliate of the worst team in the nhl might accomplish that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nail3738 said:

Skating with friends/Living near family, and dealing with a team's management/staff are two very different things.

 

I would. We screwed up the end of Manny's career, I don't think he'll be looking at the Canucks organization fondly.

Personally, I hope I'm wrong, but, I don't think I'd be able to forgive a team for taking my last year or two of "effective" play from me because of how they "feel" about my health.

If I remember correctly Manny actually said he would look at coming back under a different regime. I'm wondering why we haven't offered him a contract too tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, tas said:

being released from a pto with the ahl affiliate of the worst team in the nhl might accomplish that. 

Oh, has he been released? I just knew he had a PTO.

Well, if that's the case here's hoping it does the trick. He seems like an amazing person and would be a great asset to any team, just unfortunately not on the ice any longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, poetica said:

Oh, has he been released? I just knew he had a PTO.

Well, if that's the case here's hoping it does the trick. He seems like an amazing person and would be a great asset to any team, just unfortunately not on the ice any longer.

no, sorry, he hasn't been released yet, my statement was hypothetical. that said, according to aaron portzline (cbj beat writer), he's unlikely to get an nhl deal because he hasn't been great. i have no idea whether the jackets would offer or malhotra would accept a strictly minor league deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tas said:

manny is currently on a professional try out with the blue jackets ahl affiliate (lake erie monsters), who had loaned him to canada's spengler cup team which just won the championship. according to aaron portzline (on mobile, not looking for link), malhotra has 1 pt in 8 ahl games and is unlikely to get an nhl deal.

assuming he gets cut loose, and if he's finally prepared to hang up the skates, the canucks should immediately offer him a job as a skills coach to work along side glenn carnegie, focusing on the defensive side of the game and in particular working with the centers (and other forwards) on faceoffs. 

i know that when gillis decided to park malhotra, he encouraged him to take a coaching position with the team and left the offer on the table when malhotra decided to move on, but i have no idea whether or not the current administration have made or would be willing to make the same overtures. if not, they certainly should, because faceoffs are a glaring issue with no real improvement in sight (sutter's return might help bring them up close to 50%, but winning teams tend to have possession, and faceoffs are key) and defensive play could benefit as well.

Ya Lets get another guy over the hill.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tas said:

no, sorry, he hasn't been released yet, my statement was hypothetical. that said, according to aaron portzline (cbj beat writer), he's unlikely to get an nhl deal because he hasn't been great. i have no idea whether the jackets would offer or malhotra would accept a strictly minor league deal. 

Honestly, I hope not. Being an AHLer now is a little beneath him. He was a good player but it's just time to move on to the next stage in his career. Here's hoping he'll be ready to make that move soon!

...And hopefully back to the Canucks organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, poetica said:

Honestly, I hope not. Being an AHLer now is a little beneath him. He was a good player but it's just time to move on to the next stage in his career. Here's hoping he'll be ready to make that move soon!

...And hopefully back to the Canucks organization.

It's not really beneath a player to play in the AHL after playing in the NHL for a while. Mike Keane finished his career in the AHL with the Moose. He played another 5 seasons in the AHL after 1100 NHL games. The Moose even retired his number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Manny on the roster, no thanks - the kids development/opportunities to play come first.

Manny as a mentor/coach - definitely.  If he's interested he's a quality character individual who would only help this team in so many different ways.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...