The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some applause for Ben Hutton's play is deserved

*Buzzsaw*

There has not been a lot of talk about this kid here, but the fact is, he is the Canuck's best new player of the year.

He is  ROOKIE... and he is playing regular minutes on the 3/4 pairing.

Not only is he doing that, he is doing it well... yeah he is -7, but who can expect better on a team like this and when he is matched up against some of the toughest opposing lines?  He should be playing sheltered minutes in the 5-6 pair... in fact he probably was slotted as MAYBE making the 7th position at the beginning of the year.

Game in and game out he is showing calm confidence in his handling of the puck in his own end, and at the same time, he is also beginning to show real advances in his play in the O Zone.  Tonight he easily could have had a pair of goals.

I think we have a real gem here with this kid... he is going to be playing in the Blue, Green and White for a long time.  ;)

Realistically I don't see him being anything more than a 4. But he has been good this year despite the odd brain fart

D would be

???? -Edler

Tanev-Hutton

????-????

Still missing a franchise guy but we have a lot of guys who could fill the 5 and 6 role

the only guys that has remote chance of being a franchise defenceman is Pedan.

15 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Realistically I don't see him being anything more than a 4. But he has been good this year despite the odd brain fart

D would be

???? -Edler

Tanev-Hutton

????-????

Still missing a franchise guy but we have a lot of guys who could fill the 5 and 6 role

You mean Chychrun after we draft him :P

27 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There has not been a lot of talk about this kid here, but the fact is, he is the Canuck's best new player of the year.

He is  ROOKIE... and he is playing regular minutes on the 3/4 pairing.

Not only is he doing that, he is doing it well... yeah he is -7, but who can expect better on a team like this and when he is matched up against some of the toughest opposing lines?  He should be playing sheltered minutes in the 5-6 pair... in fact he probably was slotted as MAYBE making the 7th position at the beginning of the year.

Game in and game out he is showing calm confidence in his handling of the puck in his own end, and at the same time, he is also beginning to show real advances in his play in the O Zone.  Tonight he easily could have had a pair of goals.

I think we have a real gem here with this kid... he is going to be playing in the Blue, Green and White for a long time.  ;)

Another reason to trust in Benning. No one knew about this kid, and people were up in arms that he didn't sign McNally and now we see why he chose to sign Hutton instead.

The boys at the top know what they are building, the fans just need to realize they are 'building' something, which takes time. You don't snap your fingers and have a young team that can compete for a cup...it sadly is indeed a process and Hutton is going to be a big part of the next run.

I think he can top out at a poor man's #1. His tools are showing it already. He has great game sense, patience, smart with the puck, strong defensively, has size, and knows how to rush the puck and when to take his chances. In my 37 years as a nucks fan, we haven't had a draft pick like this kid. He not be a doughty or buff but he certainly has the POTENTIAL to be a number 1 - whether that's what he achieves or not is up to him!

Good Post! 

I agree with OP!  Hutton has been very steady.  

The goal they gave up tonight was not his fault. Weber was his usual in the d zone (awful)

I am not saying he is Doughty or Keith but he has been impressive.

I believe that if he plays with a legitimate #1 Dman he has the potential to turn into a great #2 because he will learn confidence and swag (I can't believe I'm using this word) which is essential for the type of game he plays. There's no denying it tho, he has amazing potential.

I think with all the doom and gloom around here these days its easy to get caught up in the negative. If you want to step away from the negative for a moment though there is a lot to be excited about. Hutton is one. Gotta give credit where credit is do. He's played great. Honestly, if you temper your expectations with regards to his past, guy has played admirably. As advertised. Sure he hasn't put up the points like in the NCAA but is that such a stretch? Guy is good. Well balanced style. I compare him to Chris Tanev. Not because they play similar or are similar in nature. I compare them because Tanev was once thought of around here as nothing more than a kid who played well. Not great no doubt but he played well. I see the same in Hutton. Cool as a cucumber. Doesn't get rattled. Plays to his strengths and doesn't pretend to be anyone other than who he is.

The points will come. NHL goalies are a tad better than NCAA goalies. Ten to fifteen more points and we are talking about a guy who's in the Calder discussion. He'll be fine. Hutton is going to be a big part of our future and I'm excited. This might not be our year. It's going to take a bunch of players for us the win the cup we so deserve. Hutton is one of them.

/cheers - ive been drinking im sorry if ive annoyed anyone

/shrug - i know i have a low post count but I swear im one of you guys. I've lurked long enough that I remember whem Vintage had a post count that was 4 digits. We are all Canucks! and im thankful that Hutton is one as well!

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

D would be

???? -Edler

Tanev-Hutton

????-????

I see Doughty's poise and vision and skating in Hutton, next is the shot

I'm calling future top pairing D man

Hutton has been amazing for the team. 

Tanev, Edler, Hutton - good pieces (with Edler and Tanev being our veteran core dman). Maybe Brisebois, depending on how he will develop over the next 2-3 years. 

We need to draft and develop more dman. Need to get rid of Weber, Hamhuis I think will be traded (maybe not for much anymore, because of his injury), and Bart needs to go as well. 

I think the Canucks are going to come out with some pretty good draft picks this June. 

Anyone that can play with Webber and look good is an Allstar in my books.....You put Webber with anyone else...Elder/Hamhuis they have all looked like crap because they are constantly trying too hard to cover Webber's a$$.

Archived