The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some applause for Ben Hutton's play is deserved

*Buzzsaw*

He's been a remarkably pleasant surprise right from the first preseason game. Good skater, great poise under pressure in his own end and his first pass out is almost always on the tape and with pace. Could use a little more heft but he rarely looks over matched physically. The only thing I worry about is him "hitting the wall" soon as he's about to exceed 40 games played in a season for the first time since he was in minor hockey.  

Hutton impressed from the beginning of the season with his calmness under fire in his own end. His play tapered off and now he is coming back. The Yotes game was typical for a young dman. He led several rushes last night but also got caught in his own zone costing goals. Fans have to look towards next year where this years experience will really start to kick in.

Another rookie that continues to blow me away is Alex Biega! What a great game last night. Best dman on the ice.  

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Another rookie that continues to blow me away is Alex Biega! What a great game last night. Best dman on the ice.  

Biega is far, FAR from a rookie. He's a 27 year old vet/journeyman.

I'm glad he's filled in admirably with our injuries (and he has) but honestly this organization would be far better served with legitimate NHL depth up here and having him in Utica providing leadership and stability for our young prospects who are learning down there.

Anyway... As for Hutton, he's played:

REALGOODSUPERCUT.jpg

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A player like Hamonic?  That would be a dream combo in a couple years 

I doubt it happens but man I'd love to see Ham come here in the summer. He's a perfect fit for us moving forward.

9 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Hutton has impressed me the kid has the "It" factor. 

Totally agree that describes Ben Hutton to a tee. Whatever "it" is Ben has it. From the start of training camp you could see him shine compared to most of the prospects. I believe the same "it" factor was apparent when he played in college. I think he has the skills, talent, smarts and charisma to be a good player and leader on this team for years to come.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Biega is far, FAR from a rookie. He's a 27 year old vet/journeyman.

I'm glad he's filled in admirably with our injuries (and he has) but honestly this organization would be far better served with legitimate NHL depth up here and having him in Utica providing leadership and stability for our young prospects who are learning down there.

Anyway... As for Hutton, he's played:

REALGOODSUPERCUT.jpg

I was referring to him being a NHL rookie. He got a 7 games call up last year so still a rookie. As well as he is playing I would not send him down. WD has said as much.

I would pull the pin on Weber for that matter and play Pedan for a stretch. I thought Benning might keep Weber in hopes of his stats improving so that he could possibly move him in February but I see a continued slide.   

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was referring to him being a NHL rookie. He got a 7 games call up last year so still a rookie. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Rookie Qualifications
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

I barely notice Hutton out there which is a good thing for a Dman.  So I think he is doing very admirably considering he is a rookie.  

Cracknell on the other hand; I noticed that guy way to many times last night, for all the wrong reasons.  That guy really needs to go further back to basics.  He had one really good sequence when he almost went through everyone.  But that one good shift doesn't make up for all the poor giveaways and bad positioning.

Archived