The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats Daniel Sedin...and Henrik

danjr

Well another awesome accomplishment for Daniel Sedin.  With his Goal last night, he has now moved into the 100th all time position for points in a career.

Lets put that in context shall we.  6,615 players have skated in the NHL.  So he is in the (roughly) top 1%.  So is his brother who is slightly ahead of him.

I am stoked how they keep piling on such great accomplishments.  Now for both of them to crack the magical 1000 points barrier.  Pretty elite company there!

Way to go Danny!

14 minutes ago, danjr said:

Well another awesome accomplishment for Daniel Sedin.  With his Goal last night, he has now moved into the 100th all time position for points in a career.

Lets put that in context shall we.  6,615 players have skated in the NHL.  So he is in the (roughly) top 1%.  So is his brother who is slightly ahead of him.

I am stoked how they keep piling on such great accomplishments.  Now for both of them to crack the magical 1000 points barrier.  Pretty elite company there!

Way to go Danny!

It's hard to imagine where these guys would be if they had started as 18 year olds and didn't take so long to figure out the North American game.

They'd each be a shoo-in for 1000 pts and more likely would be in the 1200 neighborhood. Best two players to ever pull on the Jersey (and I've seen all of them)

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's hard to imagine where these guys would be if they had started as 18 year olds and didn't take so long to figure out the North American game.

They'd each be a shoo-in for 1000 pts and more likely would be in the 1200 neighborhood. Best two players to ever pull on the Jersey (and I've seen all of them)

Harder to imagine where they'd be if they weren't  propping up 3rd and 4th liners their entire career

Klatt

Carter

Cowan

Burrows

Hansen

Imagine if they'd have had Kesler as their RW for more than half a season + or any number of solid snipers as opposed to the rest.  Their numbers would have been very impressive indeed

In my honest opinion these guys are the greatest athletes of all time. 

What they do is magic. That's all.  Magic. It's not human what they do... Must be some sort of aliens that are far superior to the minions known as humans. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

What they do is magic. That's all.  Magic. It's not human what they do... Must be some sort of aliens that are far superior to the minions known as humans. 

we won't know how lucky we were to watch them until they're about 5-10 years retired and we're sitting there showing kids highlights 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Harder to imagine where they'd be if they weren't  propping up 3rd and 4th liners their entire career

Klatt

Carter

Cowan

Burrows

Hansen

Imagine if they'd have had Kesler as their RW for more than half a season + or any number of solid snipers as opposed to the rest.  Their numbers would have been very impressive indeed

I remember a few years back, there was a thread asking whom everyone thought would be the ideal winger for the twins. I was an advocate of a pure shooter like Brett Hull (I felt a right handed shot was important as well)

Others were advocates of Ovie, Iggy, Stammer, etc.

I certainly wonder where the twins would be with a winger like that, but what I really wonder is how many goals Brett Hull could have put up playing with Hank. I love Adam Oates, but I don't think he's the pure passer that Henrik is.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember a few years back, there was a thread asking whom everyone thought would be the ideal winger for the twins. I was an advocate of a pure shooter like Brett Hull (I felt a right handed shot was important as well)

Others were advocates of Ovie, Iggy, Stammer, etc.

I certainly wonder where the twins would be with a winger like that, but what I really wonder is how many goals Brett Hull could have put up playing with Hank. I love Adam Oates, but I don't think he's the pure passer that Henrik is.

I think the game they play, they wouldn't be as effective with a guy like those you've named, other than perhaps Iggy in his prime. The twins seem to be more successful with a speedy winger who can get in on the forecheck then go to the net and let them cycle. This is why Burr was so good with them before he lost 1/2 a gear, and why you see Hansen being effective with them. Players like Ov/Bure etc are/were speed up the wing and rip one, very solo type players, other than on the PP but certainly not forechecking beasts. Hull was great in spots and his release but not very fleet of foot.

Personally, a guy like Bert in his prime because he was pretty damn fast, Neely in his day, Tkachuk and maybe a guy like Malkin would play best with those guys. Primarily power forwards who hit like trains, had hands and were deadly in tight around the net...

This is why I'd actually like to see Virt get a shot with them. Out of that group he may not have developed the hands yet (but certainly can snipe), but he is faster than all of them (even Malkin is my guess), can cycle, can hit like a train...maybe that will get his hands going as well and build his confidence back up...

For the statistics of 6615 players to play in the NHL that is based off the NHL website.  Maybe there are more players, that they haven't added from the Early NHL days.  But for now that is the verified NHL number.

On January 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM, apollo said:

ya sorry i like the sedins but they are not 99, mario, jagr or orr or even bure or lindros for that matter. Il say they are very solid players ppg etcetc but they arent even close to as talented as these guys  if they were theyd change the way you think of how hockey was played  plus theyd need a cup or 2 

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Klatt

Carter

Cowan

Burrows

Hansen

Kesler is a 3rd liner...

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya sorry i like the sedins but they are not 99, mario, jagr or orr or even bure or lindros for that matter. Il say they are very solid players ppg etcetc but they arent even close to as talented as these guys  if they were theyd change the way you think of how hockey was played  plus theyd need a cup or 2 

WRONG.

They have changed the way hockey has been played.

Other players have copied exactly what they introduced to the league.

The cycle game which is so prevalent in the NHL right now was revolutionized by the Sedins.

The way the Sedins enter the O-Zone is copied around the league.

The way the Sedins use the legal 'pick' to block out defenders is copied around the league.

The back pass from a player going behind the net to a player following behind is copied around league.

The Sedins perfected the use of the saucer pass to beat defenders sticks on the ice or blocks.

The whole 'passing in a phone booth' style of puck movement was perfected by the Sedins.

The 'Slap Pass' was perfected by the Sedins and now is copied around the league.

I could mention many more innovative plays which were new when the Sedins started doing them, but which are now part of the repertoire of any aspiring playmaker.

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Klatt

Carter

Cowan

Burrows

Hansen

But to be fair, aligning them with a pure sniper may not have always worked out as much as some expect. Vrbata for example is a pure shooter but to gel with the Sedins does take a certain player with a certain style. Burrows fit very well and i'd argue he was probably the best fit with them.

As with the late nineties when people thought Bure and Mogilny would be an insane duo, but they didn't gel as epxected or produce like their individual skills would lead us to believe.

Just a thought

On January 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

WRONG.

They have changed the way hockey has been played.

Other players have copied exactly what they introduced to the league.

The cycle game which is so prevalent in the NHL right now was revolutionized by the Sedins.

The way the Sedins enter the O-Zone is copied around the league.

The way the Sedins use the legal 'pick' to block out defenders is copied around the league.

The back pass from a player going behind the net to a player following behind is copied around league.

The Sedins perfected the use of the saucer pass to beat defenders sticks on the ice or blocks.

I could mention many more innovative plays which were new when the Sedins started doing them, but which are now part of the repertoire of any aspiring playmaker.

fully disagree   jagrs been doing the cycle since they were tweens  dont get me wrong i think they are great players but they arent anywhere near elite like the players i listed are and if they were theydd have 2-3 cups to prove it. The sedins are effective yes but not  elite hhof game changers. 

12 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

with the exception of a cup or two which many greats have not earned. They have changed the way people think about hockey, i've said it before, how many broadcasters now refer to the " Sedin pass " or " Sedin tip " ? the Sedins have taught and introduced many aspects involved in today's game and are acknowledged for it league-wide. We have not seen two players do what they do in this League, yes there have been better producers, flashier players but we have not seen the amazing passes, plays and cycling game before.

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

fully disagree   jagrs been doing the cycle since they were tweens  dont get me wrong i think they are great players but they arent anywhere near elite like the players i listed are and if they were theydd have 2-3 cups to prove it. The sedins are effective yes but not  elite hhof game changers. 

Like the cup or 2 that Lindros and Bure have?

ya lindros as pure physical domination while bure was pure speed and scoring at will. 

Name one player since lindros thats that dominant i cant name one. ovi is pretty close to bure in modern day skill set and i actually think ovi will get a cup.  The rest of the list is far above sedins it isnt even funny. Dont get me wrong they are awesome players but they arent the best ever. 

Archived