The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats Daniel Sedin...and Henrik

danjr

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember a few years back, there was a thread asking whom everyone thought would be the ideal winger for the twins. I was an advocate of a pure shooter like Brett Hull (I felt a right handed shot was important as well)

Others were advocates of Ovie, Iggy, Stammer, etc.

I certainly wonder where the twins would be with a winger like that, but what I really wonder is how many goals Brett Hull could have put up playing with Hank. I love Adam Oates, but I don't think he's the pure passer that Henrik is.

It's pretty hard to improve on Adam Oates.  That man never held anybody back in their goal scoring.

Best passers of all time, if you ask me...

Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Coffey.  Then Oates, Yzerman and Stastny and I suppose Hank as well.

Bottom line - two of the most underrated players to ever skate on an NHL ice surface. 

And 100% pure class on and off the ice - you can't say that for too many players in the league anymore sadly,  especially not elite guys like the twins.  

The two best Canucks of all time by a landslide, in the top 100 scorers of all time in the league and still going at an impressive clip in their mid 30s. Yet some people still want to discredit them in this thread. It's unbelievable.

22 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

fully disagree   jagrs been doing the cycle since they were tweens  dont get me wrong i think they are great players but they arent anywhere near elite like the players i listed are and if they were theydd have 2-3 cups to prove it. The sedins are effective yes but not  elite hhof game changers. 

How can players who crack the top 100 in point totals not be HHOF?

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

WRONG.

They have changed the way hockey has been played.

Other players have copied exactly what they introduced to the league.

The cycle game which is so prevalent in the NHL right now was revolutionized by the Sedins.

The way the Sedins enter the O-Zone is copied around the league.

The way the Sedins use the legal 'pick' to block out defenders is copied around the league.

The back pass from a player going behind the net to a player following behind is copied around league.

The Sedins perfected the use of the saucer pass to beat defenders sticks on the ice or blocks.

The whole 'passing in a phone booth' style of puck movement was perfected by the Sedins.

The 'Slap Pass' was perfected by the Sedins and now is copied around the league.

I could mention many more innovative plays which were new when the Sedins started doing them, but which are now part of the repertoire of any aspiring playmaker.

How about the diagonal "icing" pass off the boards to enter the O zone. Sweetness!

here it is again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJ5MfQw5lg

The league actually had to change the rules to stop this devastating play. Conspiracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiW893MUHo

10 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

How can players who crack the top 100 in point totals not be HHOF?

There are several players on the top 100 scoring list that aren't in and shouldn't be in the HOF.

The Sedins deserve to get in...eventually...  But players currently above them on the top 100 list...  Steve Thomas, Jason Arnott, Patrik Elias, Alexei Kovalev, Ray Whitney...

I think the point is just to congratulate Daniel for his amazing career and for the privilege we have all had of watching them. If we are lucky we may be able to see their magic for a few years yet. Individually they are great players but as a pair they are special. "Maybe the best tandem ever". 

Now I know someone will feel the need to argue that they are not the best tandem and come up with lots of names. But don't!

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What would have happened if Orr, Wayne or Mario had a twin they played alongside?

Wonder if this might have taken away from any of their superior abilities, (or conversely, enhanced them)?

I think if there had been a line with two Wayne Gretzkys in the 1980s, they might have both got 300 points in one season.

17 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think the point is just to congratulate Daniel for his amazing career and for the privilege we have all had of watching them. If we are lucky we may be able to see their magic for a few years yet. Individually they are great players but as a pair they are special. "Maybe the best tandem ever". 

Now I know someone will feel the need to argue that they are not the best tandem and come up with lots of names. But don't!

Makes postulation in quotation marks that two players are "maybe the best tandem ever."

Commands that nobody question or debate the assertion even he felt was questionable enough that it needed to be put in quotation marks.  ;)

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

I think if there had been a line with two Wayne Gretzkys in the 1980s, they might have both got 300 points in one season.

Howz'bout two Orrs on the point to supply Garbageman-Espo?

Then there's TWO Mario's bearing down on some poor D(2 on 1)..all of these scenarios seem rather brutal.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's hard to imagine where these guys would be if they had started as 18 year olds and didn't take so long to figure out the North American game.

They'd each be a shoo-in for 1000 pts and more likely would be in the 1200 neighborhood. Best two players to ever pull on the Jersey (and I've seen all of them)

Burke rushed them to the NHL for similar reasons as JB rushing Virtanen and McCann. To created excitement around the team and to generate revenue.

IF they'd stayed in the SEL for another 2 years it would have been way better for their development and would have reached their peak earlier. THey weren't ready for the NHL when they came over. Remember it like it was yesterday, how time flies. 

What is so impressive is that they are not the fastest players ,not physically dominate or don't have the hardest shots. They are not really the best at anything.(Hank maybe one of the best passers) They have used their smarts and creativity to find a way to bring a high level game every night. This is why they may be able to play a few more years. (at this level)

Congratulations to our wizards of Sedinery.

The twin brothers just keep going and going, long after the Energizer Bunny has hung up his drum. Perhaps the battery company should take notice and sign the Sedins to a lifetime endorsement deal. :)    

Deserved, and would have commanded, far more respect and recognition if the league hadn't been turned into a monkey business as it is today.  

A cliché I know but cannot be any truer: "Often imitated, but never duplicated."

21 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What is so impressive is that they are not the fastest players ,not fiscally dominate or don't have the hardest shots. They are not really the best at anything.(Hank maybe one of the best passers) They have used their smarts and creativity to find a way to bring a high level game every night. This is why they may be able to play a few more years. (at this level)

I agree.  Their financial prowess is very questionable.  Did you see how much money they donated to Canuck Place?  ROI of zero.

54 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I agree.  Their financial prowess is very questionable.  Did you see how much money they donated to Canuck Place?  ROI of zero.

Thanks for checking my spelling. That is a good point that we all missed. They are just good people who have done a lot in the community.

Archived