The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coordinated New Year's Eve attack on women in Germany

D'Angelo Russell

Most rape is done by people the victim knew. 

But many people don't need facts or knowledge to form their opinion. It is so much easier to jump to "only those kind of people do that" than to accept that any color, religion, non religion, neighbour man and in rare cases women is a possible rapist.

Rape is not about sex, it is about power.

38 minutes ago, otherwise said:

because there has never been a woman raped by a man who is not muslim or even her husband. :rolleyes:

While this coordinated attack is horrible; the response by I'm assuming white men in this thread is frightening. The belief that it can't be someone who looks like you who commits a crime like this is a bigger problem imo. 

did anybody in this thread even suggest that the crime cannot be committed by a white person?

if you think white rape crimes against women are even remotely comparable to those committed in the third world, imo, you would be instantly put in the apologist category.  

there is a definite, clear, obvious, observable discrepancy between how women are treated in the west and how they are treated in many third world countries. if we don't acknowledge that when populations move en masse, then problems will occur. that isn't to say white men don't rape or commit crimes - it's simply to say that white people should put on their big boy pants and recognize that not everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt when the ideological differences are so profound. "culture training" and education should be required, and those who commit these types of crimes should be dealt with severely.

again, that isn't to forgive men anywhere else - "rape education" (if that's what we're calling it) should be everywhere. but give those men who grew up thinking, for 40 years, that it's okay to grope women on a train, or rape their wives, a second session for free, maybe.

COLOGNE, Germany (AP) — German police said Wednesday that they are investigating whether a string of sexual assaults and thefts at New Year is linked to a known criminal network.

The assaults in Cologne last week have prompted outrage in Germany and a fresh debate about immigration, after police said the perpetrators appeared to be of "Arab or North African origin."

A spokesman for police in the nearby city of Duesseldorf said officers there have identified more than 2,000 suspects of North African origin in connection with organized theft offenses since the start of 2014.

Some of the offenses also involved sexual assaults as a means of distracting victims, and Duesseldorf police were cooperating closely with their counterparts in Cologne to examine possible ties to crimes there, spokesman Markus Niesczeri told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The events in Cologne involved a crowd of around a thousand men.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/german-police-investigate-whether-new-years-assaults-linked-to-criminal-network/article28030588/

Creepy.  Since it was organized to such a scale, I can see social media and the internet being monitored more closely than before.  Slim chance it was word-of-mouth organization though, and that's what terrorists resort to these days.

41 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

did anybody in this thread even suggest that the crime cannot be committed by a white person?

if you think white rape crimes against women are even remotely comparable to those committed in the third world, imo, you would be instantly put in the apologist category.  

there is a definite, clear, obvious, observable discrepancy between how women are treated in the west and how they are treated in many third world countries. if we don't acknowledge that when populations move en masse, then problems will occur. that isn't to say white men don't rape or commit crimes - it's simply to say that white people should put on their big boy pants and recognize that not everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt when the ideological differences are so profound. "culture training" and education should be required, and those who commit these types of crimes should be dealt with severely.

again, that isn't to forgive men anywhere else - "rape education" (if that's what we're calling it) should be everywhere. but give those men who grew up thinking, for 40 years, that it's okay to grope women on a train, or rape their wives, a second session for free, maybe.

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

The comment to which I replied stated that it was unbelieveable that a person would have to be told that you can't force someone to have sex with you, even if that person is your wife.  I was pointing out the fact that it shouldn't be shocking that there are people here who do this. People who are not muslim, people who probably look a lot like the posters who say "it's a muslim problem" no. It is not only muslim men, it is not only men from places where women don't have equal rights.

I feel like you are trying to forgive other men, because being groped in public happens to me here from mostly white men, who when they are told to stop laugh in my face and maybe call me a bitch.

2 minutes ago, jdatb said:

They're all harmless kids and women who are being accepted as refugees, though! Surely this couldn't have happened!!!!!!1one

You're aware between the difference in North Africa and Syria? There hasn't been any statement that this is tied to the Syrian refugee wave that I've seen.

I used live in the south of Spain and there were large populations of, mostly young men, illegal immigrants from Morocco, Gambia, and Senegal. They were not refugees and were largely economic seekers on their way to France, Germany, or Britain.

I suspect this group is largely made up of people like I mention above. In the end, IMO, the movement of these populations is due to income and wealth disparity, nothing more. Solving that is the only way to safeguard Europe from having unwanted immigrants move in.

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

You're aware between the difference in North Africa and Syria? There hasn't been any statement that this is tied to the Syrian refugee wave that I've seen.

I used live in the south of Spain and there were large populations of, mostly young men, illegal immigrants from Morocco, Gambia, and Senegal. They were not refugees and were largely economic seekers on their way to France, Germany, or Britain.

I suspect this group is largely made up of people like I mention above. In the end, IMO, the movement of these populations is due to income and wealth disparity, nothing more. Solving that is the only way to safeguard Europe from having unwanted immigrants move in.

And, considering the report above about being linked to organized crime involving theft around since 2014, people who've been in the country for some time rather than a recent wave of refugees from anywhere.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And, considering the report above about being linked to organized crime involving theft around since 2014, people who've been in the country for some time rather than a recent wave of refugees from anywhere.

Which makes it worst because it shows they wil never assimilate. They will always treat women as .2nd class citizens 

2 hours ago, otherwise said:

because there has never been a woman raped by a man who is not muslim or even her husband. :rolleyes:

While this coordinated attack is horrible; the response by I'm assuming white men in this thread is frightening. The belief that it can't be someone who looks like you who commits a crime like this is a bigger problem imo. How many women are raped or sexually assaulted on a daily basis in the western world but say nothing because the man is more likely to be believed? Or be told it was nothing or there is not enough proof.

Thats kind of a straw man, rape is committed by every race in every country.

Its much more concerning when you are not even aware that it's a punishable offense, or you feel it is a justifiable act within the bounds of your belief system.

1 hour ago, otherwise said:

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

The comment to which I replied stated that it was unbelieveable that a person would have to be told that you can't force someone to have sex with you, even if that person is your wife.  I was pointing out the fact that it shouldn't be shocking that there are people here who do this. People who are not muslim, people who probably look a lot like the posters who say "it's a muslim problem" no. It is not only muslim men, it is not only men from places where women don't have equal rights.

I feel like you are trying to forgive other men, because being groped in public happens to me here from mostly white men, who when they are told to stop laugh in my face and maybe call me a bitch.

I know what you were pointing out, I just don't know why you were pointing it out to Red Light. the bolded part has nothing to do with what Red Light said, as far as I can tell. and your racist comment, that people here are probably white and espousing some "frightening" belief that "it can't be someone like you who commits a crime" also seems unrelated to everything Red Light was saying. 

Red Light did not say it's a "muslim problem" - he didn't even say "it's shocking that muslims have to be told this" - he said "it's shocking that human beings have to be told this" - IN RESPONSE TO AN ARTICLE HE WAS QUOTING. an article about migrants from misogynistic, primarily muslim countries.

why has it suddenly become Islamaphobic to discuss how muslim migrants sometimes bring with them dramatic increases in misogynistic violence? why must every discussion about Islam's fundamental absurdity have to be qualified with "well, white people and Christians are ideological and stupid too!"? 

the fact that we're talking about backwards-ass third worlders is only relevant in that it's a discussion about backwards-ass third worlders. if this conversation were about rape in, say, California then it would be about American culture there.

and while it's totally tragic that you would be groped in public at all, i don't really know what that has to do with what I said. I acknowledged that white (and black, latino, asian) North American people commit these crimes too.  Why would I ever apologize for a sex offender? that goes against literally every political thing I have posted on here in like 10 years. in fact, if you dig up all those "sexual harassment video" threads, you'll see that I was one of, MAYBE two males on this entire website who was championing female rights on these issues. 

Your thinking that I am forgiving men is just a misunderstanding. I assure you it wasn't - and that's kinda ironic, because when you say "this crime is bad and all, but i think the bigger problem is elsewhere" - i think YOU are lessening the GLOBAL problem of Islam's anvil-weight on women's rights. Especially since you're doing this in a thread specifically about migrant influence on sex politics. 

I still stand by what I said: immigrants from any backwards ass country needs to go through the cultural ringer to make sure they are dried of their absurd approach to sex from back home.

Men native to that country need a different process, obviously, because they are raised there from birth. But since this conversation isn't about German rape crimes from two months ago, I don't know why I have to say that.

edit: as for putting words in your mouth, I don't actually think I did. unless I totally misunderstood your post, then I agree with Red Light, it was just sorta straw man-y of you to say. 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/germany-migrants-syrian-1.3391244

This confirms that approximately 400,000 of 1.1 million in 2015 asylum seekers are Syrian. The next largest group are Afghans and Iraqis. 

Like you said, many are going there not as refugees of war, but "economic" purposes. This also explains the high proportion of men entering Europe. I wonder how many of those who own Syrian passports are actual Syrians? How many are ISIS or Al-Qaeda agents? 2016 could be a year of terror in Europe. 

4 hours ago, otherwise said:

While this coordinated attack is horrible; the response by I'm assuming white men in this thread is frightening. The belief that it can't be someone who looks like you who commits a crime like this is a bigger problem imo. How many women are raped or sexually assaulted on a daily basis in the western world but say nothing because the man is more likely to be believed? Or be told it was nothing or there is not enough proof.

Not really sure if the "white men" assumption was directed at any of my posts. But I will say this, I am male, but I'm not white, and I'm an immigrant myself. As such, I'm very grateful to live in Canada. I'm certainly not oppose to people of different backgrounds. 

Here is my POV, the Western world has advanced greatly in treatment of women and equality. That's not to say there are no rapes, but it is far better than many parts of the world. Look up Lara Logan, the 60 minutes reporter who was sexually assaulted by a mob in public on the streets of Cairo. The attackers in Cologne brought a similar mentality in their assaults. 

It's up to government to either educate people and protect their citizens, or stop them from coming altogether if they can't handle that. 

From Sidney Herald:

One of the victims of a mass sexual attack in the German city of Cologne has described the terrifying moment a mob of more than 30 angry men surrounded her and her friends and groped and robbed them during New Year's Eve celebrations.

Another woman recounted how her underpants were literally torn from her body during the apparently coordinated attacks outside the main train station in Germany's fourth-largest city around midnight on December 31.

Cologne police say they have now received more than 90 complaints of robbery and sexual assault, including two accounts of rape, at the hands of hundreds of men who targeted the young women in the crush of revellers.

City police chief Wolfgang Albers described the perpetrators as being of Arab or North African appearance, and called it "a completely new dimension of crime". The attack has shocked Germany and ignited debate about the country's refugee policy.

One of the victims, Michelle, 18, told German news channel NTV that she was with a group of 10 friends who arrived at the train station about 11pm on New Year's Eve and noticed as many as 1000 people, almost all foreign men, gathered outside in an area adjacent to the city cathedral.

Michelle said that, as she and her friends walked towards the River Rhine to watch the fireworks, there were "suddenly 20 to 30 men who surrounded us, and more and more came".

She said the men began to molest them, touching them on their legs, backs, torsos and buttocks, and attempted to reach under their clothes.  "The good thing was that we were dressed in thick clothing," she said. 

The group of friends protested, but the men didn't appear to understand German, Michelle said. "They were all foreigners," she said.

Michelle said some of her friends were screaming during the assault, which she estimated lasted for five minutes. The friends eventually formed their hands in a chain and broke free, with several of the group crying.

It was only after they escaped that they realised they had also been robbed of their mobile phones, wallets, headphones and cigarettes.

"We were not beaten, have no permanent damage, but it was disgusting and not funny," Michelle said.

Another woman, Anne, 25, told German newspaper Bild that she was waiting tables at a nightclub and went outside briefly during her break when she was attacked by a group of "Arab" men, who pulled up her dress and tore her underpants off before running away.

Another unnamed woman, aged 20, had every item of clothing torn from her body, while her friend was "abused with fingers", Bild reported.

One victim said that, such was the chaos around the train station, she feared she could be killed or raped and "nobody would notice", Reuters reported.

The woman said she and her friend were walking past the train station when they were surrounded by a group of men who "touched us everywhere" and "grabbed between our legs".

"I thought to myself that if we stay here in this crowd they could kill us, they could rape us and nobody would notice. I thought we simply had to accept it. There was no one around us who helped or was in a position to help. All I wanted was to get out," the woman said.

"I was scared that I wouldn't leave this crowd alive. I was scared that if someone showed up with a knife I could be raped in the middle of the street.

"I have nightmares at night and I can't sleep anymore. I am too scared to go outside on my own and of course I'm now scared to go to big cities."

German police have identified three suspects in connection with attacks, but no arrests have been made.

Police in Hamburg are now reporting similar incidents on New Year's Eve in the party area of St Pauli.

Police said they had received 53 complaints, more than half of them alleging sexual harassment, from victims aged 18 to 25 in Hamburg.

The victims appeared to have been targeted in a similar fashion to those in Cologne, and also described the attackers as being dark-skinned or appearing Arabic, police said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/they-touched-us-everywhere-victims-of-mass-sex-assault-in-cologne-describe-ordeal-20160106-gm0tmc.html#ixzz3wWwSc36l
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/they-touched-us-everywhere-victims-of-mass-sex-assault-in-cologne-describe-ordeal-20160106-gm0tmc.html#ixzz3wWwKnYLm

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/they-touched-us-everywhere-victims-of-mass-sex-assault-in-cologne-describe-ordeal-20160106-gm0tmc.html#ixzz3wWvspmg4

Cologne mayor’s arm’s length sex assault advice stirs outcry

BERLIN 

The mayor of Cologne has inflamed a debate in Germany about migrants and sexual harassment by suggesting that women can protect themselves from men on the streets by keeping them more than an arm’s length away.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article53453420.html

Ridiculous.

Archived