The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom vs. Lack

Toyotasfan

9 hours ago, homersexual said:

I don't think I have seen one interview with Markstrom. I am sure I just missed it. Maybe he is a poor interviewer and the media just doesn't want to interview him.

I dont want him to be interviewing to be honest. I don't want him to tweet or skype or facebook or anything. Stop pucks and play your game. Thats what we need. Between Luongo perpetuating his own drama with his constant forays into social media and Eddie Lack endearing himself to our hearts only to be ripped away. Enough is enough. Marky ... make your statements on the ice please and thank you.

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm fine with Markstrom.  Funny that he cleared waivers last year.  Anyway, I think Eddie was SLIGHTLY better in his time here than Markstrom has been, but Markstrom has more upside if things go well.

They got extremely lucky to sneak him through last year. Marky put the Comets on his back last years and carried them all the way to the Calder finals. It was pretty obvious to anyone who watched his play during that stretch, where coach Green started him in every single game, that he had finally reached his potential. 

I wanted us to keep Lack and have the 2-headed Swedish monster in net this year, but I'm sure Markstrom is going to learn lots from Miller as well. The choice was clearly between Lack and Miller imo and I still would have traded Miller just to get whatever asset was being offered for him. The rebuild while trying to stay competitive mandate has handcuffed JB too much to make any high risk moves, but I hope to see some this year with the team trending the way they are. 

Lack definitely gives a better interview, if that means anything. Not taking anything away from Lack, as I believe he's a good goalie, but I'm happy with Markstrom. During intermission of the last game, Hirsch and Jaffe were talking about Markstrom saying he may be one of the most athletic goalies in the league. I think he's got a bright future here. In fact, I'd be okay trading the other goalie we have (won't mention his name lol) for a veteran backup and picks. If we're going to rebuild, then let's get on with it. That $6 million could be used for, oh I don't know,....Defence?

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

. That $6 million could be used for, oh I don't know,....Defence?

Or literally anything. Cheeseburgers and tacos for cheech in the broacast booth. At GM Place that'd be like... 15 or so!

Though I suspect 'spend to the cap' might be coming to a close if the dollar keeps collapsing as it is.

Hindsight is everything last year Markstrom had a huge question mark on him, he was starting to show his potential in Utica, but no one new if he could bring it to the NHL,  return would've been nill for Markstrom.

Miller was the safe bet, he has played well and with a better defence and less injuries, his stats would look better. Benning had to keep a veteran goalie, as much as fans wanted a Lack and Markstrom dual, with our team we needed the security of Miller in net.

I am very happy they kept Markstrom and traded Lack, a future of Markstom and Demko :), don't be fooled Marstrom is learning a ton from Miller, I do hope they move miller either at trade deadline or draft or even over the summer, with a better defence Marky will be fine, Benning made right choice again.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Meanwhile Luongo and Schneider are going to the All Star Game. What a gong show this team's goaltending has been.

Well, it's certainly possible that Marks and/or Bo will be at an all star game at some point in the future and when they do, the rest of the team won't be 10 years younger than them.

5 minutes ago, KootNuck said:

Benning had to keep a veteran goalie, as much as fans wanted a Lack and Markstrom dual, with our team we needed the security of Miller in net.

As I remember it, there was only a select few of us clamoring for a Lack/Markstrom duo and spending that money on D. 

What exactly did we need that 'security' for again? Was it the Cinderella cup run we went on last year? :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As I remember it, there was only a select few of us clamoring for a Lack/Markstrom duo and spending that money on D. 

What exactly did we need that 'security' for again? Was it the Cinderella cup run we went on last year? :rolleyes:

No not Cinderella run, but he still needed to keep a hope of a  winning team to have  fans buying tickets and merchandise( like I said hindsight is everything) being a fan its easy for us to sit at our computer and talk about losing for a year or two to get higher draft picks, but reality is benning has to answer to higher ups, lets face it Vancouver is a very tough market, I really don't think it can handle a full on rebuild, but I do understand what your saying spending the Miller money on D would've been so much better .

40 minutes ago, KootNuck said:

but I do understand what your saying spending the Miller money on D would've been so much better .

There's the key. I doubt there's much differences in wins/losses or the 'perception of trying' if that cap is spent on improving the D instead of on Miller.

And doing so would have put us in far better position moving forward (an additional mid 20's, likely top 4 D). I like an awful lot of what Benning has done but that was an error IMO. 

At the risk of going where we've all been before...

Miller - Higgins - Vrbata - Prust - Hamhuis

Is 22 million dollars in cap space. 22 million. That's 2 Malkins and change. Or 3 Stamkos.

Lack - Markstrom and some real players would be nice.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

There's the key. I doubt there's much differences in wins/losses or the 'perception of trying' if that cap is spent on improving the D instead of on Miller.

And doing so would have put us in far better position moving forward (an additional mid 20's, likely top 4 D). I like an awful lot of what Benning has done but that was an error IMO. 

I do agree BUT at the time Markstrom was a bit of a gamble, I really think that it was a timing thing, GMMG really left this team in a bad place with all the NTC, I really think another year and Benning will be able to clear out some more of these contracts to open up more room for the kids and trades or ufcs, either way I look forward to next year as I think we will be in a much better place.

Archived